Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welding help

Bought a gas cylinder at the local welding supplier and got a free half day class and then paid 50 bucks for a second class. That and a little practice and my welds don't suck anymore. Also, saw a big difference in quality after switching to shield gas instead of flux core

When i was 16 i worked for HVAC Plumbing company. All you need is basic understanding on how to weld.The rest is experience!

I saw Mel using Hobart in one of Eddie's videos

The internet has a lot of info. The big companies and many quality welders put videos and other info out there. There are welding forums too. Wayaweld!

I learned in high school but do not get much practice any more. Mig is easy and can do a lot. Just make sure you are getting good penetration (not the sexual kind) or it is just a weak surface weld. In oklahoma you could go to a votech school and learn. They have daytime classes for high schoolers and night time for adults. I dont know about other states.
    Matt

Do the speed bumps at the mall count as crawlin?

N.S.D.Q.!

13 JKUR - white, 09 JKUR - white (sold), stock 85 CJ7 - red
    6 other 4x4 trucks (but only have 1 now).

Greg,

It's something I'd love to learn more and get proficient at. The one thing I'd say to start doing while you look for welding equipment is it start collecting some scrap steel if you have access to it. Then once you're set up with the equipment you'll have stuff to practice on.

<cough> Crash's bumper <cough>

Lol.

I may have an old bed frame or two laying around in my basement...that'd probably be nice to practice laying beads down on. If you end up needing scrap to practice with, let me know.

I'll probably catch shit as well for suggesting it...but you may want to give a whirl on a cheap harbor freight MIG setup to learn on, then graduate up to something nicer later on.

-Ryan
    The build of "Equinso-Ocha", aka White Devil:
    http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...White-Devil%29

Just take a course at your local community college. I have been welding for over 28 years and it would be best to learn it correctly. No offense to self taught peeps but I can't tell you how many welds I have to fix because of self taught people !

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5160 View Post
    When i was 16 i worked for HVAC Plumbing company. All you need is basic understanding on how to weld.The rest is experience!

I saw Mel using Hobart in one of Eddie's videos
    Yes Mel used a Hobart and I'm sure he is or has a lot of experience. But the last thing I'm sure you would want to do it burn through a axle housing or even weaken it because you think it is proper penetration. But that is just my 2 cents. Practice practice practice. Learn your welder and do a lot of research on proper such length and heat .

Been Around the Block
    I would take a class from a trade school or local community college, or a shop that offers them.

The college would be the best bet, as you will get to try different types of machines.

My dad and I split the cost of a Miller 211 a while back and got a smoking deal (So we are happy), and they do rebate offers somewhat regularly, but this came out last year and caught my eye:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ncolnElectric)

It has some cool features:

MIG: Weld up to 3/8 in. mild or stainless steel or aluminum* up to 3/16 in.
    Flux-Cored (Self- and Gas-shielded): Tackle the biggest jobs
    DC Stick: Handles up to 5/32 in. stick electrodes
    DC TIG: Enabled by Touch Start TIG® technology

Yup, does all that, and through the end of the month they have a $200 rebate, bringing it to $1k (MSRP).

If you want to save some dollars, you can always go cheap on the tools to start and just practice (dont be afraid to cut your welds in half to check quality!), and watch a lot of youtube.

Just keep in mind that not many people want your old harbor freight welder, but you can always sell a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
    WTF??? don't get this one.
    Didn't read the first line from the OP i take it...

Quote Originally Posted by GregMort13 View Post
    Im sure Im gonna catch shit for this because im not really sure where to post it lol.

Thanks guys, after talking to a few friends and hearing everyones advice here, i think ive settled on two budget friendly options.

Like i stated, i dont have 220 service right now so I'm leaning towards..

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...pd6hoCJLrw_wcB

If i decide to get an electrician friend to get a sub panel going for me, ill more then likely go with...

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...OLIRoCvCDw_wcB

I would really enjoy the 175 because the option to expand my horizons to the growing popular aluminum jeep bumpers and what not.

Ive got a few weeks before i can pull the trigger on one of these financially

Quote Originally Posted by GregMort13 View Post
    Thanks guys, after talking to a few friends and hearing everyones advice here, i think ive settled on two budget friendly options.

Like i stated, i dont have 220 service right now so I'm leaning towards..

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...pd6hoCJLrw_wcB

If i decide to get an electrician friend to get a sub panel going for me, ill more then likely go with...

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...OLIRoCvCDw_wcB

I would really enjoy the 175 because the option to expand my horizons to the growing popular aluminum jeep bumpers and what not.

Ive got a few weeks before i can pull the trigger on one of these financially
    I would seriously look into Lincoln or Miller. And before you buy it I would get some experience. Just trying to save you some $$

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast