Welding help

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Im sure Im gonna catch shit for this because im not really sure where to post it lol. Im looking in learning to weld as I've been wanting to learn for a while now. Im looking for a MIG and would like to be able to weld up to 1/4" steel. Im not very knowledgeable in this area so someone please correct me if my wants are unrealistic. I have to check but I'm pretty sure the service in my house is 150. I have plenty of room in my breaker box and would most likely be setting up an entire separate circuit to run the welder. Please educate me and advise me on a decent welder without paying a ton of money for a miller! Thank you!

WJCO

Meme King
Lincoln, Eastwood, and Hobart are good brands. I would look into something like this or the like and you won't even need to modify your home circuit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-140-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/100670934

If you go with flux core wire, you won't need the gas tank either, welds aren't as clean looking but still gets the job done.

Other thing to consider: the money involved in upgrading your circuit, plus needing a 240v extension cord for working in different locations of the garage = $$$$$$$$$$$ Those cords are expensive.

OhNoTheJiggies

I installed my own breaker and made a cord using individual pieces on sale at Lowes, saved me quite a bit of money. If you aren't handy with electrics, don't do the breaker yourself though. I had an electrician fiend help me out for a few beers afterwards. The cord is pretty simple though.

When I got my welder(cheap harbor freight thing) I got it as recommended by quite a few people. Saying that if In the learning process I manage to blow it up or break it, in pretty much any way, they'll replace it on the spot and I can try some more. Then when I get better I'll buy a good, quality welder.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Lincoln, Eastwood, and Hobart are good brands. I would look into something like this or the like and you won't even need to modify your home circuit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-140-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/100670934

If you go with flux core wire, you won't need the gas tank either, welds aren't as clean looking but still gets the job done.

Other thing to consider: the money involved in upgrading your circuit, plus needing a 240v extension cord for working in different locations of the garage = $$$$$$$$$$$ Those cords are expensive.

The extension cable is easy to do. Hit up lowes for the parts. The most critical part is the new 240V circuit. OP: if you aren't comfortable wiring it then please hire a professional. Many MIG welders are 120/240 so it gives you some flexibility being able to fab things on existing circuitry.

jeff_in_rc

Check with your community college for welding classes, ours has a great one and when I can afford to buy what I need I will be taking the classes.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Catch this!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469221081.433695.jpg

But seriously if you really want to learn find someone who knows what they are doing or find a short course to do.

GoldenJK

Bought a gas cylinder at the local welding supplier and got a free half day class and then paid 50 bucks for a second class. That and a little practice and my welds don't suck anymore. Also, saw a big difference in quality after switching to shield gas instead of flux core

Andy5160

Hooked
When i was 16 i worked for HVAC Plumbing company. All you need is basic understanding on how to weld.The rest is experience!

I saw Mel using Hobart in one of Eddie's videos

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The internet has a lot of info. The big companies and many quality welders put videos and other info out there. There are welding forums too. Wayaweld!

I learned in high school but do not get much practice any more. Mig is easy and can do a lot. Just make sure you are getting good penetration (not the sexual kind) or it is just a weak surface weld. In oklahoma you could go to a votech school and learn. They have daytime classes for high schoolers and night time for adults. I dont know about other states.

scull20

Greg,

It's something I'd love to learn more and get proficient at. The one thing I'd say to start doing while you look for welding equipment is it start collecting some scrap steel if you have access to it. Then once you're set up with the equipment you'll have stuff to practice on.

<cough> Crash's bumper <cough>

Lol.

I may have an old bed frame or two laying around in my basement...that'd probably be nice to practice laying beads down on. If you end up needing scrap to practice with, let me know.

I'll probably catch shit as well for suggesting it...but you may want to give a whirl on a cheap harbor freight MIG setup to learn on, then graduate up to something nicer later on.

-Ryan

mo0s3

Just take a course at your local community college. I have been welding for over 28 years and it would be best to learn it correctly. No offense to self taught peeps but I can't tell you how many welds I have to fix because of self taught people !

mo0s3

When i was 16 i worked for HVAC Plumbing company. All you need is basic understanding on how to weld.The rest is experience!

I saw Mel using Hobart in one of Eddie's videos

Yes Mel used a Hobart and I'm sure he is or has a lot of experience. But the last thing I'm sure you would want to do it burn through a axle housing or even weaken it because you think it is proper penetration. But that is just my 2 cents. Practice practice practice. Learn your welder and do a lot of research on proper such length and heat .

el_chupo_

I would take a class from a trade school or local community college, or a shop that offers them.

The college would be the best bet, as you will get to try different types of machines.

My dad and I split the cost of a Miller 211 a while back and got a smoking deal (So we are happy), and they do rebate offers somewhat regularly, but this came out last year and caught my eye:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K3963-1(LincolnElectric)

It has some cool features:

MIG: Weld up to 3/8 in. mild or stainless steel or aluminum* up to 3/16 in.
Flux-Cored (Self- and Gas-shielded): Tackle the biggest jobs
DC Stick: Handles up to 5/32 in. stick electrodes
DC TIG: Enabled by Touch Start TIG® technology

Yup, does all that, and through the end of the month they have a $200 rebate, bringing it to $1k (MSRP).

If you want to save some dollars, you can always go cheap on the tools to start and just practice (dont be afraid to cut your welds in half to check quality!), and watch a lot of youtube.

Just keep in mind that not many people want your old harbor freight welder, but you can always sell a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, after talking to a few friends and hearing everyones advice here, i think ive settled on two budget friendly options.

Like i stated, i dont have 220 service right now so I'm leaning towards..

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...pC4b057MgOf7AMw-jb06ms9jmrigD-Vpd6hoCJLrw_wcB

If i decide to get an electrician friend to get a sub panel going for me, ill more then likely go with...

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders...unxwVU_CVX5OS4Z4MgfZG5ugKuZgFO4OLIRoCvCDw_wcB

I would really enjoy the 175 because the option to expand my horizons to the growing popular aluminum jeep bumpers and what not.

Ive got a few weeks before i can pull the trigger on one of these financially

mo0s3

Thanks guys, after talking to a few friends and hearing everyones advice here, i think ive settled on two budget friendly options.

Like i stated, i dont have 220 service right now so I'm leaning towards..

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...pC4b057MgOf7AMw-jb06ms9jmrigD-Vpd6hoCJLrw_wcB

If i decide to get an electrician friend to get a sub panel going for me, ill more then likely go with...

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders...unxwVU_CVX5OS4Z4MgfZG5ugKuZgFO4OLIRoCvCDw_wcB

I would really enjoy the 175 because the option to expand my horizons to the growing popular aluminum jeep bumpers and what not.

Ive got a few weeks before i can pull the trigger on one of these financially

I would seriously look into Lincoln or Miller. And before you buy it I would get some experience. Just trying to save you some $$

Top Bottom