5.13 gears.

awdel87

What happens if I get 5.13 in a rubicon with 29" tires. I need to regear asap? Would I damage something????

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
First question, why do you have 29" tires on a rubicon? Second question, if you have 29" tires why do you need to regear?

Answer those before we answer anything else.

awdel87

I bought it 2 months ago stock. And I need to fix the front end bearings. They charge me $800. And $1600 to regear both differentials. So I want to spend those $1600 on regear and later probably by November go with 37", but I want to know if I would damage something in the meantime

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I bought it 2 months ago stock. And I need to fix the front end bearings. They charge me $800. And $1600 to regear both differentials. So I want to spend those $1600 on regear and later probably by November go with 37", but I want to know if I would damage something in the meantime

What front end bearings? Pinion bearing? There is only one.

WJCO

Meme King
You're not going to hurt anything by re-gearing early, but you'll have a shit ton of torque. Your tranny may shift weird. Not sure....never heard of 29s with 5.13s.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
37's will require additional upgrades (lift, suspension, etc). If you're not planning on spending big money, then just fix what's broken and save for the upgrades to be done at a later time.

dillard09

I think he meant wheel/unit bearings.

If it is unit bearings that are bad. That's like a 1-2hr job for both of them. Save the $800 and do it yourself. Then save the money and do the 5.13 and 37s at the same time. I don't think you will like the 5.13 with 29s.

CC Dad

I would not do it. It's just way too low of a gear for 29's. I don't think it would even be that drivable. I mean you could drive it that way but the rpm would be insane, especially on the highway.

mo0s3

What happens if I get 5.13 in a rubicon with 29" tires. I need to regear asap? Would I damage something????

First thing I would do is figure out what tire you want to run and go from there. I went 4:88 with the intention of eventually going 37's.
5:13 with 29" would be a nightmare

aldaman

....Like what others mentioned, running 5.13s will just make your Jeep operate in the higher RPM range and give that added Uummpphhh. The gear chart below shows the RPMs at 2872. I had an '08 JKU-X before and had regeared to 5.13s. From time to time I would switch between the Stock tires and 35s and it drove fine with either set of tires....

image.jpeg

Edit, your profile list you having a 2008 Jeep, my response was for that type of vehicle. I rode a TJ with 35s and 4.56 gears and that matched well. I would imagine 5.13s on that year would be too much...

Last edited:

awdel87

Is a pinion bearing, and I intend to go 37" later 2" lift, i want it low, so I'll be trimming the rear and lifting the front fender 31/2"

WJCO

Meme King
Gears and bearings can be done at the same time. 1600 + 800 is too much. Total should be 1500 at the most.

awdel87

To just fix it they are asking $800, to regear $1600. That's why I prefer regear. But if I could do the bearing myself I would just do that for now.

WJCO

Meme King
To just fix it they are asking $800, to regear $1600. That's why I prefer regear. But if I could do the bearing myself I would just do that for now.

If it's just the outer bearing, it's not too bad but if it's another bearing, might as well re-gear at the same time.

Top Bottom