Driveline vibrations?

caminton

So the past couple of weeks I've been having vibrations from somewhere up front. It only happens when I've been driving for a while, stop at a red light/stop sign, and then accelerate again. It vibrates for a second or two, and then goes away completely. It hasn't been a big deal so I wasn't worried about it.

Last night, it happened several times after I slowed down to turn. Could this be my front driveshaft? I'm not sure what I'm looking for/listening for here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on what you're saying, I doubt it's your front drive shaft. If it were, you would feel and hear it oscillate continuously at a specific speed range. What you're describing sounds totally different.

Can you hear this as well as feel it? Where you do feel it, in the steering wheel? The seat of your pants? Is it slight or significant?

caminton

Based on what you're saying, I doubt it's your front drive shaft. If it were, you would feel and hear it oscillate continuously at a specific speed range. What you're describing sounds totally different.

Can you hear this as well as feel it? Where you do feel it, in the steering wheel? The seat of your pants? Is it slight or significant?

I can hear it and feel it. I feel it through the floorboards. It's nothing crazy, but it's definitely noticeable.

WJCO

Meme King
Check front axle ujoint but seems like it would be more constant. Torque converter maybe? Hard to say.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Pull the front driveshaft and keep driving it. If it still vibrates it would rule out anything in the front axle.

caminton

Pull the front driveshaft and keep driving it. If it still vibrates it would rule out anything in the front axle.

Good idea, thanks. Only issue is, it's unpredictable as to when it happens. I could pull the shaft, but it might take another 2 hours before it actually happens again. Or it might take 5 minutes. It's not happening every time I stop and go. Only sometimes. Usually it's when I've been driving for awhile. Sometimes it's the first stop when I'm leaving my apartment complex.

DKjeep

I agree, but first I would just get under it before I pull the shaft and push and pull on it as hard as you can to see if you can spot any movement. Stock driveshaft? If you don't detect anything pull it anyways and that will eliminate that one possibility. Lat time I felt vibrations in the floorboard and pedals, it was the front driveshaft.

caminton

I agree, but first I would just get under it before I pull the shaft and push and pull on it as hard as you can to see if you can spot any movement. Stock driveshaft? If you don't detect anything pull it anyways and that will eliminate that one possibility. Lat time I felt vibrations in the floorboard and pedals, it was the front driveshaft.

Yeah. Stock shaft. I'm about to do what you said and I'll see what happens.

caminton

No go on the driveshaft. Which is good, but that means the problem is elsewhere. Could it maybe be the gears in my d30 going out?

WJCO

Meme King
No go on the driveshaft. Which is good, but that means the problem is elsewhere. Could it maybe be the gears in my d30 going out?

Usually if you have a front diff problem, it will be more noticeable with the front shaft still installed. So I'm thinking it's elsewhere.

caminton

Usually if you have a front diff problem, it will be more noticeable with the front shaft still installed. So I'm thinking it's elsewhere.

Well....shit. I wish I knew more so I could do a better job of diagnosing this. I'd really rather not take it in to a shop to have it checked over because it isn't anything serious yet. But at the same time, I'm worried it'll become something serious in the future. I might have to bite the bullet and pay.

Dirtysocks

Broken motor mount? That might explain why you only feel the vibration on hard acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chitown35

LOSER
Is it if you get just the right amount if torque or something? I had a similar experience with a skid plate that was coming loose, just the right conditions and I could feel the vibration.

caminton

Is it if you get just the right amount if torque or something? I had a similar experience with a skid plate that was coming loose, just the right conditions and I could feel the vibration.

Possibly. I need to go through and re-torque the suspension anyway, so I can check this when I'm doing that.

DKjeep

So you inspected the shaft and didnt notice any problems, AND then you pulled it out and the issue remains when you drive it? I just want to be clear.

caminton

So you inspected the shaft and didnt notice any problems, AND then you pulled it out and the issue remains when you drive it? I just want to be clear.

Sorry, no. I didn't pull the shaft because I didn't have time yesterday. I'm planning on pulling it today after I get off work.

JEEPnGEO

I had the same problem but found out it was the baring cap on the ujoint. The thing came off. So when I got under there and looked at everything it all seemed good. Everything was tight and solid. I took it to my Jeep to the driveshaft shop and placed it on the lift and rotated the shaft and the guy almost missed it. The cap was missing but with the hoop in place it is hard to tell. I only had vibrations on Acceleration and very minor vibrations on deceleration. When I was nice on the skinny peddle I couldn't really feel it.

Hope you find it soon. The u-joint wore a nice little gouge in the cardin joint. Mine happened on the rear not the front.

caminton

I had the same problem but found out it was the baring cap on the ujoint. The thing came off. So when I got under there and looked at everything it all seemed good. Everything was tight and solid. I took it to my Jeep to the driveshaft shop and placed it on the lift and rotated the shaft and the guy almost missed it. The cap was missing but with the hoop in place it is hard to tell. I only had vibrations on Acceleration and very minor vibrations on deceleration. When I was nice on the skinny peddle I couldn't really feel it.

Hope you find it soon. The u-joint wore a nice little gouge in the cardin joint. Mine happened on the rear not the front.

So basically, I need to take it into a shop and have it looked at. I understood most of what you said but I have no Idea how to fix it or even actually diagnose it.

Top Bottom