Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HELLO : An Introduction to MoTech and LS Swaps

Advertiser
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle521 View Post
    Ive actually had a question about your swaps,
    Say someone wanted to do an ls swap but wanted stay on small budget in the beginning, if you swap in a 6.0 ls, and then down the road want to upgrade to the 6.2 truck motor ls, would there need to be significant changes to the harness that you supply?
    All the Gen IV truck engines have the same architecture so interchangeability is good. To go from a 6.0 to a 6.2 would not require much, basically a reprogram of the ECM, BCM and TCM; most all of the hardware is the same.

Try and stick with 2010 or newer engines and transmissions. 2010+ powertrains are for the most part all compatible, they use similar modules and calibrations. 2007-9 LS engines can be difficult to work with because the conflicts they have with specific OS's, it's best to avoid them but we can support them if you have one.

You can use 2 or 4WD 6l80's with our kit, the 2WD does require a little extra work to get to work. We can also support the 4WD 6l90 transmission if you have an Atlas and in some cases with the 241J.

Hey, just a quick question. I'm still researching but am looking into your kit. Do you guys offer anything for manual guys who want to stay manual? I know you recommend the 6l80e, but have you any experience with an 6.2l LS3 paired with say, a T56 or TR6060 6 speed manual in a wrangler?

Nothing but a Thing boardsurfer's Avatar
    Aaaand I'm spent.. Thank you MOTECH for the thoroughly interesting post.

Welcome to wayalife. Hope to one day have the money to do a swap through you guys! Love the work !

Welcome to Wayalife!

Caught the Bug
    Thanks for all the great information and welcome to WAL, glad to have you here.

Welcome- we already spoke and it's just a matter of time before we put another LS in aWAL JK

The info in this tread is great! Motech if I were to look for a L83 5.3 engine, what year/make/model vehicle should I get one out of? I know it needs to be '15 or newer if I want it to pass emissions (if I were to ever move out of AZ I'd want that). Pretty much all of the engines I've looked at on Ebay are out of Chevy/GMC trucks and Chevy Tahoes. Price is MUCH cheaper than I thought it would be for a low mileage L83. The L86 is a good bit more, but the power numbers on the L83 look great. On the L83, it gets a power bump on E85 fuel of about 30 hp and tq. Would the Gen V swaps you do keep that flex fuel ability when swapped into a JK? Is the 8L80 a thing you are for sure doing? Would the 8L80 be a better trans in a heavy JK than the 6L80? I live in northern AZ (lots of steep mount climbs on the highway) and imagine the extra gears would be an advantage. The slightly lower 1st gear I imagine would be nice for crawling.
    2015 Anvil Rubicon Unlimited
    Evo Mfg Double Throwdown suspension w/Evo Lever
    Evo Mfg high clearance long arms
    Evo Mfg PR60 high steer w/PSC hydraulic assist
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle
    Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears
    JE Reel 1350 front/1410 rear driveshafts
    Evo Mfg rocker/corner armor/bumper
    17" ATX Slabs & 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Proud to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001 - 2010. Semper Fi

Here's my plan, curious to hear your thoughts. I have a 2014 JKUR with 38k miles on it. I'm doing about 10k miles a year so let's say it lasts me till it hits 200k miles in 16 years. At that point the JL is well retired, people are driving J_ and I'm driving something that's looking pretty old school but want to keep forever. Still possible to do an LS swap at that point or will it be impossible to find the right engine, parts, and shop to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Here's my plan, curious to hear your thoughts. I have a 2014 JKUR with 38k miles on it. I'm doing about 10k miles a year so let's say it lasts me till it hits 200k miles in 16 years. At that point the JL is well retired, people are driving J_ and I'm driving something that's looking pretty old school but want to keep forever. Still possible to do an LS swap at that point or will it be impossible to find the right engine, parts, and shop to do it?
    I think that at that point our jeeps are going to be free from any sort of emissions crap and we'll be able to swap in anything we want!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast