Input for C2 Front Axle Reinforcement Gussets

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Has anyone installed the C2 Front Axle Reinforcement Gussets on there Dana 30? :fingerscrossed:

Was it a pain? I can weld pretty good. :pointing:

Do you have to remove anything before like axles Etc...? :idontknow:

Any input would be cool, I am going to install 35" but want to beef up the D30 1st!!! :crazyeyes:

TacPen

Banned
Actually, after thinking about it I had my shop do them. My welding leaves a little to be desired and I didn't want to overheat the axle and ruin the grease.

Long story short, they rock. My shop did tell me it was easier to do it with the spring out as it just rests on the bottom edge of the gusset. They just welded it a small piece at a time then let it cool between welds. Haven't had any issues (plus their welds look cleaner than mine would have). You wil have to grind the area clean before welding obviously.

Spray painted it black and now it's awesome.

I did the sleeves later (went with TeraFlex for no particular reason) but if I had to do it again, I would have definitely done them both at the same time.

Having seen it done, I would totally try it myself next time.

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Actually, after thinking about it I had my shop do them. My welding leaves a little to be desired and I didn't want to overheat the axle and ruin the grease.

Long story short, they rock. My shop did tell me it was easier to do it with the spring out as it just rests on the bottom edge of the gusset. They just welded it a small piece at a time then let it cool between welds. Haven't had any issues (plus their welds look cleaner than mine would have). You wil have to grind the area clean before welding obviously.

Spray painted it black and now it's awesome.

I did the sleeves later (went with TeraFlex for no particular reason) but if I had to do it again, I would have definitely done them both at the same time.

Having seen it done, I would totally try it myself next time.

Awesome that's what I wanted to hear.... I thought I would get some input before I tried to install them. Thank you!

Prime8

Awesome that's what I wanted to hear.... I thought I would get some input before I tried to install them. Thank you!

Make sure to lay the bead down quickly and take a lot of time between beads. You don't want to overheat your ball joints. Tack one side in place, then the other. Go back to the first side and lay a bead, then go to the other. Wait a while and repeat. You can water quench between beads, but be careful; repeated heating/quenching can cause brittleness and quench cracking. So use sparingly to cool the ball joints.

Peej777

Evo's are great & an awesome price too :) x2 on taking your time welding, you don't wanna cook the ball joints

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Thank you

Thank you for all your input, I am ordering the EVO set. I know to have them installed it is $60.00 for gussets and $330.00 to install. I have a welder and thought I could do it my self and spend the $330.00 on more jeep upgrades. :thinking:

Moochie

Thank you for all your input, I am ordering the EVO set. I know to have them installed it is $60.00 for gussets and $330.00 to install. I have a welder and thought I could do it my self and spend the $330.00 on more jeep upgrades. :thinking:

Be careful with the welding or you will be spending more then this on new ball joints.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Go with the best deal you can find. Some companies have better track record for fitment, but whoever you go with will all be just a hunk of metal!

I think he's asking where to buy the EVO gussets. :thinking:

ORE or northridge4x4 carry them.

Go with EVO if for no other reason than it's their design that others have copied. 💩

MTG

Caught the Bug

Are they removing the ball joints in that price? Seems a bit steep if not.

Prime8

The dealership charged me an hour for just gussets. On my last rig I got the gussets, sleeves, and LCA skids all welded in for $350. So $330 just for gussets is far too much. They are ripping you off big time.

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone can weld on a set of C2 Gussets but, not everyone can do it without frying your ball joints - a common reason why so many people get death wobble. Welding alone should cost about $250-$300 and any special work required to mitigate damage to the ball joints would be extra. To me, the quote seems reasonable but, you might be able to get them done for a bit less. Regardless of who you have weld on your gussets, I would make sure they understand the problems at hand before they start burning things in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The dealership charged me an hour for just gussets. On my last rig I got the gussets, sleeves, and LCA skids all welded in for $350. So $330 just for gussets is far too much. They are ripping you off big time.

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welding up LCA's is a no brainer and shouldn't take more than 10 min to do both sides. Assuming you did all the work prior to having your sleeves burned in, a handfull of rosette welds and weld around the edge are a no brainer too. That you got it for a few bucks more is not surprising to me. Now, if they did all the drilling cleaning, disassembly, installation and re-assembly of your axles, that's a hell of a deal.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
saw this somewhere else, i was thinking about going with the c2 guessets, but i am worried about rust inside of them after install and since i live in pa and they love to use salt in winter....would the teraflex design possibly be better since the whole thing could be painted?

Top Bottom