Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M.O.R.E. Dual Battery Tray Installation Write-Up w/ODYSSEY Batteries (2007-11 JK)

Quote Originally Posted by zeddjb View Post
    Nice setup and great guide. I have always thought of doing a dual battery setup in my Jeep because of all the extra stuff I have. (4x300W Lights, Rock lights, Winch, Air compressor, etc..) How does the stock alternator feel about a dual battery setup? Do they put strain on the alternator and what would the best way to setup just for extra juice? IE: the winch is probably the most used and most hard on the battery. Should I use a series like you have set up currently or would a toggle work better to switch to a different battery?
    We've actually been running this setup for a very long time and only now got around to finishing up a write-up for it. Never had a problem with the alternator or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by colorblindspy View Post
    WOL, Do you know if they make this kit for the 2012?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Yes, but it's a little different.
    What Sharkey said, they do offer a 2012-up setup but, it is setup a bit differently as shown in the pic he posted up.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPo View Post
    Great article, I've been debating about going down the the dual battery route. Holy expensive batteries, Batman. Those things are almost $300 a pop!
    They ain't cheap but are totally worth it. I had been running Optima Yellow Tops for years and was always frustrated at how quickly they got tapped out and could never be charged back up. Ever since we started running Odyssey's (or the Diehard equivalent), we've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierWolf View Post
    Thank you for the install instructions. I was planning to install a dual battery tray and wondering how challenging it would be for my somewhat limited mechanic skills.
    Glad to be of help. It really isn't a hard install at all

Very cool . Thank you , I have been thinking about this mod. I'm also interested in doing an on board welder.

Fresh Catch
    Two questions.
    Have you done the isolator wiring yet? I've got a similar setup in my 09 JK but am in the market for new batteries (as you know) and I've been frustrated recently because my starting battery is crapping out, and the isolator that I installed requires me to open the hood in order to self-jump. I was wondering if you had any suggestion on an isolator with a remote switch inside the cab. (lazy, yes.. don't hate!)

And 2nd, I've read a lot about Die Hard Platinum vs Odyssey, are they really the same or are the guts different/batter in the Odyssey branded? (the price diff is $100+!)

Thanks!
    --
    K6JPE
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    SoCal

Slight bump

Knows a Thing or Two BlackKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoPo View Post
    Great article, I've been debating about going down the the dual battery route. Holy expensive batteries, Batman. Those things are almost $300 a pop!

That's what she said.

Don't hate.
    I wonder if it would be a better fit with two yellow tops (or red, or blue etc) rather than a mix and match pair..

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin75 View Post
    Two questions.
    Have you done the isolator wiring yet? I've got a similar setup in my 09 JK but am in the market for new batteries (as you know) and I've been frustrated recently because my starting battery is crapping out, and the isolator that I installed requires me to open the hood in order to self-jump. I was wondering if you had any suggestion on an isolator with a remote switch inside the cab. (lazy, yes.. don't hate!)

And 2nd, I've read a lot about Die Hard Platinum vs Odyssey, are they really the same or are the guts different/batter in the Odyssey branded? (the price diff is $100+!)

Thanks!
    I've been wondering the same thing.

Thanks for the great write-up. Been thinking about dual batteries for some time now and this has gotten me motivated.

Sorry for not seeing the question above sooner. I have bought a painless wiring kit and had intended to install it but never got around to it due to all the transmission problems we were having. Now that we're doing an LS swap, I'm not even 100% sure we'll be able to keep our dual battery tray - we'll have to see.

Regarding And 2nd, Die Hard Platinum and Odyssey, it is my understanding that the Platnum P-1's are made by Odyssey. I don't know if they are exactly the same in terms of performance though. I have run the P-1's in the past and they are a HUGE improvement over Optima Yellow Tops and I would highly recommend them too.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Sorry for not seeing the question above sooner. I have bought a painless wiring kit and had intended to install it but never got around to it due to all the transmission problems we were having. Now that we're doing an LS swap, I'm not even 100% sure we'll be able to keep our dual battery tray - we'll have to see.

Regarding And 2nd, Die Hard Platinum and Odyssey, it is my understanding that the Platnum P-1's are made by Odyssey. I don't know if they are exactly the same in terms of performance though. I have run the P-1's in the past and they are a HUGE improvement over Optima Yellow Tops and I would highly recommend them too.
    Thanks, too late =) I also got the painless little black box to do the relay thing...
    And I went with dual Odyssey!
    Pretty happy so far!!!
    --
    K6JPE
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    SoCal

Nice...

This is the setup I'll be running hopefully starting next week if everything comes in as planned before the weekend.

M.O.R.E_DualBattery.jpg MORE Dual Battery Tray
    RR_DualIsolatorKit.jpg Rugged Ridge Isolator with a 3 way switch
    a-pillarpodmd.jpg Pillar Rocker switch Pod Controlling my batteries and Compressor
    34-PC1500T.gif X2 34-1500 Batteries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast