Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M.O.R.E. Dual Battery Tray Installation Write-Up w/ODYSSEY Batteries (2007-11 JK)

M.O.R.E. Dual Battery Tray Installation Write-Up w/ODYSSEY Batteries (2007-11 JK)

When you start building up your Jeep to include a winch, auxillary lights, a refridgerator or even welder, you'll want more than just a great Deep Cycle battery like an ODYSSEY Extreme to keep them all humming along. Sometimes, what you really need are two and in order to do that in a 2007-11 Jeep JK Wrangler, you'll need to install a dual battery tray much like this one made by Mountain Off Road Enterprises or M.O.R.E. for short. In this write-up, you 'll get to see just how easy it is to get one installed in your Jeep.

As far as batteries go, we chose to run two 34-PC1500T ODYSSEY Extreme Batteries because there really isn't anything out there that can even come close to their performance. Sure, they cost more than an Optima Yellow Top but in my opinion, those aren't even in the same league. For more information regarding Odyssey Extreme Series Batteries, click on the following link:
    http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

To find an Odyssey dealer near you, click on the link below to see their Dealer Locator:
    http://www.odysseybattery.com/locator.html

Please note that some of the photos were borrowed from other past write-ups to help explain things more thoroughly. Needless to say, you may see things that look out of place or have previously been replaced.

What you will get with Your Kit
    Here's a shot of everything you'll get with your new M.O.R.E. Dual Battery Tray kit.

And, this is a shot of the two 34-PC1500T ODYSSEY Extreme Batteries we will be running.

1– DUAL BATTERY TRAY
    1– POWER DISTRIBUTION/PCM BRACKET
    1– BATTERY HOLD DOWN BRACKET
    3– 5/16-18x1 BOLT
    5– 5/16” FLAT WASHER
    3– 5/16” LOCK WASHER
    2– 5/16-18 LOCK NUTS
    2– 5/16 “J” BOLT

What you will need
    • 10mm Wrench/Socket
    • 1/2" Wrench/Socket
    • Flathead Screwdriver
    • Needle Nose Pliers
    • Hacksaw

Installation Instructions
    1. Using a flat head screwdriver, loosen the hose clamp securing the air tube to the air cleaner box.

2. Grab the CCV hose firmly and pull it off the air cleaner box.

3. Grab the air cleaner box and pull it up and out of the engine compartment.

4. Use a 10mm socket to remove the bolt securing the power steering reservoir in place. Move reservoir out of the way.

5. Use a 10mm wrench to disconnect the battery leads.

6. Use a 10mm wrench to disconnect the ground wire attached to the side of the body as shown.

7. Unlock and unplug the wiring harness coupler next to the battery.

8. Unlock and unplug the wiring harness from the purge control valve.

9. Unlock and unplug the large wiring harness coupler sitting between the battery and TIPM.

10. Use a flathead screwdriver to free the tabs securing the TIPM onto its mount as shown.

11. Carefully lift the TIPM up off its mount.

12. Unlock and unplug all the wiring harness connectors attached to the TIPM.

13. Set aside the TIPM and then, using a 10mm socket attached to a long ratchet extension, remove the clamp securing your battery in place.

14. Remove your battery.

15. Use a 10mm socket to remove the 4 bolts securing the bottom of your battery tray in place.

16. Use a 10mm socket to remove the 3 nuts securing the battery tray to the firewall.

17. Use a 10mm socket to remove the one bolt securing the battery tray to the fender.

18. Use a 10mm socket to remove the one bolt securing the battery tray to the front of your Jeep.

19. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pry the wiring harnesses off battery tray as shown.

20. Lift the purge control valve off it's mount.

21. Remove the battery tray from the engine compartment.

22. Use a 10mm socket to remove the bolts securing the TIPM mount from the battery tray.

23. Use a hacksaw to cut off the forward section of the battery tray as shown. The 2nd pic shows what you are removing and will be reusing.

24. Install your new M.O.R.E. battery tray into your engine compartment and align the back of it onto the studs on the firewall.

25. Use the factory nuts to secure the battery tray onto the firewall. Make sure that you do not make the same mistake that you can see I did in this pic and that was to pinch the ground strap behind the tray. You will need to use a 10mm socket for this job.

26. Use one of the factory bolts to secure the only mounting tab located on the bottom of the tray in place. You will need to use a 10mm socket for this job.

27. Install the forward portion of the factory battery tray that you cut off back inside your engine compartment.

28. Loosely secure the reused section of tray in place using the factory hardware.

29. Install the new TIPM mounting plate provided with the kit over the reused section of the factory tray. Loosely secure it in place using the hardware provided with the kit.

30. Install the factory TIPM mounting bracket on to the new plate using the factory hardware. Use a 10mm socket to tighten up the bolts.

31. Install the remaining bolts and tighten them up. A 10mm socket will be needed for the factory hardware and a 1/2" socket will be needed for the new ones.

32. Plug all the wiring harnesses back into the TIPM and lock them in place.

33. Install the TIPM onto its mounting bracket.

34. Install the purge control valve onto its new mounting post.

35. Reconnect the remaining wiring harness plugs back into their respective sockets.

36. Carefully place your new 34-PC1500T ODYSSEY Extreme Batteries into the tray.

37. Place the hold down bracket on top of the batteries and then secure it in place using the J-hooks, washers and wing nuts provided.

That's it, you're done!

For my purposes, I've just hooked mine up in parallel until I can get around to installing a good dual battery switching system.

And that's it, you now have a two amazing batteries under your hood and can use them from running all kinds of electrical gadgets to using something like a Premier Ready Welder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, you seem to be plugued in parallel, not in series.

If plugued in series, you would double the voltage and keep the same amps,

If plugued in parallel, you would double the amps and keep the same voltage.

And, if plugued in series, you would be at 24v, which would blow all your electronic modules

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, you seem to be plugued in parallel, not in series.

If plugued in series, you would double the voltage and keep the same amps,

If plugued in parallel, you would double the amps and keep the same voltage.

And, if plugued in series, you would be at 24v, which would blow all your electronic modules

You are correct. My mind was on welding - what you see is everything in parallel

Nice setup and great guide. I have always thought of doing a dual battery setup in my Jeep because of all the extra stuff I have. (4x300W Lights, Rock lights, Winch, Air compressor, etc..) How does the stock alternator feel about a dual battery setup? Do they put strain on the alternator and what would the best way to setup just for extra juice? IE: the winch is probably the most used and most hard on the battery. Should I use a series like you have set up currently or would a toggle work better to switch to a different battery?

Fresh Catch
    WOL, Do you know if they make this kit for the 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by colorblindspy View Post
    WOL, Do you know if they make this kit for the 2012?
    Yes, but it's a little different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Another item added to the list.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey

Yes, but it's a little different.
    Man that's a tight fit!

(que that's what she said crowd)

Great article, I've been debating about going down the the dual battery route. Holy expensive batteries, Batman. Those things are almost $300 a pop!

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    Man that's a tight fit!

(que that's what she said crowd)
    That's what she said.

Don't hate.

Knows a Thing or Two HoosierWolf's Avatar
    Thank you for the install instructions. I was planning to install a dual battery tray and wondering how challenging it would be for my somewhat limited mechanic skills.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast