Wave from Upstate NY

richar43

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce my self.
My name is Shayne, and I have been in and out of off roading with jeeps since I was a kid. I am presently looking at getting a JK unlimited by this time next year. Having been out of the Jeep scene for some time, I joined Wayalife to gather information and to meet new people. I look forward to chatting with everyone. Also I have created quite the list on quadratec for upgrades. One last thing, what is everyone's feedback between the 2007-2011 jeeps verses the 2012- present?

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. I'm in the same boat. From everything I'm seeing, the 2012+ is a more powerful motor but the very early ones had a possible head issue, pre 11/2011 (for a 2012 model year). In my business, we have seen quite a few 3.8 rod bearings spun.

benatc1

Hooked
welcome to WAL! I grew up in Syracuse. I have a 2012, had the head replaced at 40k other than that it's been a great jeep. Plenty of power and nice interior. have not owned a 3.8 but from everything I've read in won't due to being underpowered. now my head was replaced under warranty so it wasn't an issue for me. been running perfect since.

DannyD

Welcome from Feura Bush (near Albany) I have a 3.8 2 door and no complaints. I'm sure you will get good feedback from guys comparing the two good luck!!

BamBamDeer

Welcome to WAL from Oklahoma! I've had both engines...2011 and 2016. I have had no problems with either but the 3.6 is really a lot peppier.

KingCopperhead

Welcome from Chittenango!

As to your question: the 12+ engine is a lot more fun to drive. The 14 and up (and some late 13's if im not mistaken.) have the rear pinch seam already trimmed from the factory.

Personally I have a 14 and am very happy with it.

BigEd

Welcome from South Florida, I had a 2010 JKU & it was sluggish but I loved every second in it. Currently have a 2016 JKU and it's a huge stepping stone, it's a big wonderful difference. My 2010 didn't give me a problem and it was running into 90k miles without a hiccup. We'll see what the future holds in my new baby. Very happy with both, whichever one you get you'll enjoy very much.

Welcome to WAL. id have to say the drivetrain on the 2012+ is well worth it. Over 80 more hp. Im probably bias tho... ;-)

Top Bottom