Alabama to Alaska

Pyro1415

So I figured I'd post on here so anyone doing a similar trip could get some help.
My jeep is a 2010 JKU auto towing at right around max weight. I'll let you do the math so I can claim negligence if something bad happens...
Anyways I'm military and we are moving from Mobile, Alabama to Anchorage, Alaska. We also have both of our kids a 5 and a 1 year old plus our two dogs. However very fortunately for us my father who is a truck driver is accompanying us and towing our trailer.

Problems: overheating, lack of being able to plan stops in advance

Pros: great views, better than expected gas mileage, 5 year old helps take car of her little brother.

Stops:
Day 1: Jackson, Mississippi do to a 1 day old radiator fan going out we were stressed with overheating on day one and didn't make it very far. It was a couple of hours to track down a fan and about 15 minutes for install.
Just FYI if going to a parts store for a fan tell them it's a 2wd model. It will be an ome style one instead of the general use one for the 4wd. This helped at autozone.
Day 2: Childress, Texas
Jeep ran a little hot today mostly because it was 105 outside. Also it keeps having to drop to second and rev to 5k plus to maintain speed on hills. I'm chasing after my dads f350 with the 7.3 the whole time...
Day 3: Fort Collins, Colorado
Jeep did well average 11.5 to 12mpg yesterday at elevation and we saw a beautiful sunset coming into Denver. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469885610.268142.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469885655.608558.jpg

caminton

We just moved from Auburn, AL to Lompoc, CA. We had a little bit of overheating in NM but other than that, our 2012 2dr did amazingly towing my wife's Kia Soul. Like you said, the hills sucked and the revs got pretty high. Best advice is to not use cruise control or your gas mileage will be shit.

Pyro1415

Thanks guys. It's the heat that's killing me mpg is staying near 10. We're in Wyoming now and the heat keeps creeping to 250...

Top Bottom