Manual trans popping out of 1st gear

JeepJeep75

This has happened to me about 5 or 6 times now. Sitting at a light, put the clutch in, put trans in 1st, go to accelerate away and BANG! Popped outta gear. Maybe it's me not fully engaging 1st gear, or maybe it's a real problem. I've been driving stick shifts for as long as I've been driving so I'm pretty sure it's all the way in 1st gear, can't really double check every time. This hasn't happen to me off road yet, but.... Anyone else having this issue?

Kyle7R

This has happened to me about 5 or 6 times now. Sitting at a light, put the clutch in, put trans in 1st, go to accelerate away and BANG! Popped outta gear. Maybe it's me not fully engaging 1st gear, or maybe it's a real problem. I've been driving stick shifts for as long as I've been driving so I'm pretty sure it's all the way in 1st gear, can't really double check every time. This hasn't happen to me off road yet, but.... Anyone else having this issue?

Happens to mine too, from what I've heard is that it's the synchro. Mine does not do it if I remember to go to 2nd gear before putting it in first.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Unfortunately, it's a super common problem on the JK. Initially, Chrysler said it was a problem with 2007-10 JK's and there was even a TSB issued for it but I see you have a 2015. Being that you technically have the same transmission, I would see if the TSB applies to what you have as well.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Happens to mine too, from what I've heard is that it's the synchro. Mine does not do it if I remember to go to 2nd gear before putting it in first.

^^^this^^^

Any trans I have ever had problems getting in or staying in 1st a quick pop into 2nd at the stop then to 1st would allow them to fully engage. My 08 doesn't do it, but I had a YJ and a TJ that both did.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately, it's a super common problem on the JK. Initially, Chrysler said it was a problem with 2007-10 JK's and there was even a TSB issued for it but I see you have a 2015. Being that you technically have the same transmission, I would see if the TSB applies to what you have as well.

Did the TSB have a fix for it, or just list it as a known problem?

JeepJeep75

I guess I'll have to pay more attention to how this is happening. I'm one of those guys that puts the trans in neutral at a stop light, then I quickly put it in gear and accelerate away. It's only recently started doing it a lot so I'm pretty sure it's not my driving style that's changed. If it gets any worse I'll go complain about it to dealership. It just pops with such a loud BANG. My wife heard it for the first time last night. She thought it was broken for sure. I thought the same thing the first time it happened. I just hope if it gets worse I can get it fixed. I don't wanna have to learn to live with this problem getting worse. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kyle7R

I guess I'll have to pay more attention to how this is happening. I'm one of those guys that puts the trans in neutral at a stop light, then I quickly put it in gear and accelerate away. It's only recently started doing it a lot so I'm pretty sure it's not my driving style that's changed. If it gets any worse I'll go complain about it to dealership. It just pops with such a loud BANG. My wife heard it for the first time last night. She thought it was broken for sure. I thought the same thing the first time it happened. I just hope if it gets worse I can get it fixed. I don't wanna have to learn to live with this problem getting worse. Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's scary every time it happens, feels like you just got rear ended.

I am one to stay in neutral at the light too, I've just started going into 2nd then to 1st when the light changes. If anybody honks they can kiss my ass.

g00se04

Mine does it from time to time. No real way to recreate the issue. I just can't wait to do motech ls auto swap

JeepJeep75

I saw a few tube videos where a guy rebuilds manual transmissions for muscle cars and takes the time to fit all of the parts together one at a time. He matches the sliders to the clusters on each gear pair along with the syncros, deburring all of the rough edges. Goes through all of the internal shifter mechanism deburring any rough spots there too. Basically just making sure everything fits together as smoothly as possible. This is something that just doesn't happen on an assembly line. To me the jeep manual doesn't really give a good feel of 1st gear engagement.

JoeB-JKURX

So far, I've had no problems with first gear with my JK. Reverse, on the other hand, is a PITA. The difference between engaged and not engaged is about 1/8". I don't know how to count the times I've shifted into reverse only to hear gears grinding when I release the clutch (quick - back on the clutch and jerk the shift lever back). Pisses me off to no end.

psmith

Never understood why this wasn't a recall. Of all the things we get notices for I can see pulling away from a light and then loosing all power...but anyway. Our 2010 did this and my 2008 does it as well. What I have found to help is to keep some forward pressure on the shifter while in first. This works great for the 2008. Hasnt popped out for a long time. Nothing helped our 2010. It was a lease so don't know final resolution on that one. TSB is 21-001-10 REV A if that helps anyone. Involves replacement of 1st gear and 1-2 synchronizer assy.

Top Bottom