What do to you think of these for off road

WJCO

Meme King
They've been around for years and I have yet to see one person run them. So, maybe not the greatest technology out there. Or maybe needs more marketing exposure.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Personally, I think they are stupid. What happens when sticks, rocks, and mud get into the hex voids? Not only could it stop you dead in your tracks on the trail, but it could create an unbalanced tire that is downright dangerous on the road.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Personally, I think they are stupid. What happens when sticks, rocks, and mud get into the hex voids? Not only could it stop you dead in your tracks on the trail, but it could create an unbalanced tire that is downright dangerous on the road.

And trust me, I HATE sticks.

GraniteCrystal

Could work well in dusty, arid places where there isn't a lot of water to make mud or grow trees (sticks) so I can see military applications.

A.J.

Tweel as I recall. I think Michelin was toying with the concept originally. Mostly for industrial use. Lighter weight and more compliant than solids or foam filled tires. Could have its uses, but pretty cost preventative. I think they can be retreaded too which helps. Skid steers and lifts etc.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Tweel as I recall. I think Michelin was toying with the concept originally. Mostly for industrial use. Lighter weight and more compliant than solids or foam filled tires. Could have its uses, but pretty cost preventative. I think they can be retreaded too which helps. Skid steers and lifts etc.

Michelin makes the Tweel for John Deere zero turn mowers. Im looking at buying one with them on it. Since they are obviously airless, the main idea is that commercial lawn mower businesses will have less down time with flat tires. They cost about twice as much as a pneumatic tire but are suppossed to last 3 times as long just based off of their tread life alone. Not too mention running a good tire by getting a tear in the sidewall or something. Plus they just look bad ass. I think in the lawn mower world it will be a great tire. For the vehicle world, no thanks.

Sullivan

Very common in scrap yard/demolition industry. They make them for skid steers to wheel loaders. Been around for a few years.
You can actually see the skid steer bolt pattern on those wheels. They just adapted them to a jeep. But I like the brainstorm they had here

JeepJeep75

I see one major down-side with the Tweel. Zero softness adjustability. Going from highway use to rock crawling would be a challenge for these. I think they are a great idea, just very limited in their usability. I don't think the Tweel can keep pace with Jeep versatility.

Petzl88

Whoa whoa whoa! Easy there tiger. I think they are awesome!!! I would cut my "air up" time in half if I had these. Plus I wouldn't need to buy beadlocks. I would still put a "simulated beadlock ring" on them though.

boardsurfer

I'm guessing it would be trivial to engineer a side wall on them. Maybe. I've seen these before and always assumed it was just a cut-away for demo purposes.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Probably ride similar to this...

View attachment 215832

Idk about on a vehicle but everything I've seen about the Tweel on the lawn mowers is that it rides better than the pneumatic tire and wheel. It absorbs some of the cushion when hitting/running over things. Operators are complaining about less pain from setting and mowing all day with these.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm with Jeepjeep - there is no adjustability with these. Also, how stable are these at say 65mph and you have to swerve? What if you hit a pothole? They sure rock back and forth a lot after the vehicle comes to a stop.
On the other hand, they don't look like they'll flex much in the rocks like an aired down tire would. IDK, too many questions for me.

Draconianwinter

I have been hearing about these for automotive applications for a little while now. Honestly I think it is not a bad start to an idea and they have proven very good in industrial applications and military in some cases, buy still a long way from being a good idea for the automotive industry especially for the off road industry.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
These are made to be able to take small arms fire, etc and keep rolling for military applications. Of the ones I have tested, they did not get stellar traction. HMMWVs and JLTVs, Ect are not used in the same manner our Jeeps are. Lots of compromises with these to have a tire built for a specific purpose.
Maybe a good start, but no where near ready IMO for consumer.

Top Bottom