Close

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Been Around the Block Lil Nasty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTECH View Post
    The Gen V 5.3 L83 engine has a lot of promise. With direct injection, high compression and CVVT we hope it will have the mid range torque a heavy JK requires. We are hesitant to recommend the Gen IV 5.3 in a heavy JK because the 6.0 does a much better job hauling the weight. The problem with the Gen IV 6.0 is it is not compliant in California and other areas so you are stuck with a 5.3 or 6.2.

The new 5.3 also runs on regular gas, uses synthetic 0/20 oil and holds 8 quarts of oil. Here Mitch and Joey start a almost new L83 on the stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymga...ature=youtu.be
    I'd be curious to see the low to mid-range torque numbers compared to the other options available. Aside from availability and CARB compliance, do you foresee a larger cost savings to benefit this swap over the others? A dollar to HP/FtLb ratio between the options would be interesting as well, at least for the "Efficient" (read frugal) among us.

Hi motech I watch every video you release. My friend builds LS race engines in Texas and he hooked me up with videos you release. One question I have not seen any of your videos showing an LS in a two door? Our desert driving here favours the use of a two door Jeep is an an LS possible?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Desertman View Post
    Hi motech I watch every video you release. My friend builds LS race engines in Texas and he hooked me up with videos you release. One question I have not seen any of your videos showing an LS in a two door? Our desert driving here favours the use of a two door Jeep is an an LS possible?

Why wouldn't it be possible?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

Right? Have I been wrong assuming the engine bays are the same between 2 and 4 doors?

The assembled engine and transmission looks long or at least longer than the factory.

Advertiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Nasty View Post
    I'd be curious to see the low to mid-range torque numbers compared to the other options available. Aside from availability and CARB compliance, do you foresee a larger cost savings to benefit this swap over the others? A dollar to HP/FtLb ratio between the options would be interesting as well, at least for the "Efficient" (read frugal) among us.
    The price of the Gen V 5.3's is dropping rapidly, currently they do not cost much more than a Gen IV 5.3. The yards are gouging as usual on the 6.2's, the 6.2 is in high demand and they ask top dollar.

The cost of the 5.3, like the 6.0, is a major factor for the swap. I have been doing engine swaps for over 30 years and back in the day we used mostly SBC's. I like the 90's 5.7L "K" engine. Throttle body injected and very reliable. That 350 SBC put out about 180 HP, a Gen V 5.3 by comparison puts out over 330 HP. The 5.3 has roller cam and lifters, all aluminum construction, direct injection, 4 cylinder mode, variable valve timing and a lot more. You couldn't build that engine in the 90's let alone anywhere near the price of a current 5.3.

Emissions compliance around the nation is being stepped up. So even if you were to get a non compliant swap through now at sometime in the future you may have an issue, especially if you intend to sell your JK. Federal laws as well as local dictate a tampered vehicle cannot be sold. The fact California and other States are relaxing the laws regarding swaps in newer vehicles since they are so popular means they are stepping up enforcement. Monitor and mode 6 data are thoroughly checked now unlike the early days of the Hemi where they were set to not supported. USEPA data is being referenced. . We started support for the Gen V engines primarily to support 14+ JK's that require a newer engine. The Gen IV engines are still an excellent choice for an older JK IMO, I drive one every day and wouldn't trade it out. The Gen V engines do have advanced technology not present in the Gen IV engines; however, after many miles in both I do not feel the difference is enough to not go with a Gen IV. The LS3 and 6.0 Gen IV engines are still a bargain and perform better than any power adder I have driven in a JK.

Advertiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertman View Post

Yes, about 15% of our swaps are 2 doors. The demand for a heavy expedition 4 doors is where it is at now. A vehicle with enough room to haul your family and gear so they are the bulk of what we do. Almost everything ahead of the center crossmember is the same on the 2 and 4 door. The two concerns in a 2 door is if it has more than a 3" lift the pinion angle can get steep causing a vibration; but this is true even without a swap. Also on the 2 door the exhaust runs in front of the crossmember and under the transmission pan like stock since there is not enough room between the fuel tank and transmission to get the pipe through.

Other than that 2 door LS JK are fun to drive. One of the cleanest JK's we did a swap on is up for sale. It is a 2 door 2011 JKUR in excellent condition, bright red with a TMD hood and all the options - LS3. It is a perfect example of power vs drivablilty. Jerry the owner drove it for about two years and passed away about a month ago; his wife contacted me to put it up for sale. We do not sell JK's here but if anyone is interested it is a great 2 door JK.

Been Around the Block Lil Nasty's Avatar
    Another off the wall question. Have y'all ever installed a 7.0L LS7? I'm a short fella so I like to imagine bigger is better. I just want to say "seven liter." It sounds so smooth....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Advertiser
    How about a Gen V 6.2 with an 8 speed, it's out of the shop and on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMlO...ature=youtu.be

Awesome!! Just awesome!!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast