To change or not to change gear oil

GraniteCrystal

OK, bought the 75W90 oil today after reading through Eddie's writeup. Here is my dilemma: bought the Jeep at 28k miles and it's now at 38k miles. It hasn't seen that much off road use in it's life yet. I just called the dealership of the previous owner and they verified the differential has never been serviced. So, it's definitely due for an gear oil change. The problem: I'm going on a 4 day off-roading trip in a few weeks here in Colorado that may have some river crossings; unsure how deep.

Do I change the fluid now because it's past due and hope no water gets in there on the trip, or wait till after the trip and change it then?

Coop

Caught the Bug
If it were me I would change it now and after the trip. It's easy to do and diff fluid is not too costly.
I change mine on a pretty regular basis.
But that's just me.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I would change it after, unless you think you might have an issue and want to inspect before heading out?

Sullivan

Why is this a question? Change the gear oil before and after. This is probably the cheapest expense when it comes to off roading.

WJCO

Meme King
If you go with us Saturday, water is deep too. Will be over your axles at least 3 times. I agree do it before and after.

GraniteCrystal

Thanks everyone. I decided more oil is a small price to pay for a happily running Jeep. So I changed it this afternoon. If I don't go through any high water on the trip, I'll just run that oil for 15k. If I do go through water, oh well, I can just change it again. We're doing the trip solo and will be fairly remote, so getting stuck/broken is a non-option.

Top Bottom