Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which LS is for you? (Or me?)

Which LS is for you? (Or me?)

So I thought it might be a good thread to post your experiences with the different LS engines that MoTech supports. As a potential customer still trying to decide all the major details, it would be cool to see real world applications, and to discern the differences between the different versions of the LS engines.

1. Which engine did you go with? (L92, L94, LS3, etc.)

2. Which transmission did you go with? (6L80, 5 speed, 6 speed)

3. What are the big numbers for you? (Horsepower, torque, MPG, speed, accelerations)

4. If you're willing to divulge, what did you pay for your swap? Did you get a used engine or new?

5. Anything else you'd like to add that we should all know.

And if MoTech wants to give feedback for their different options, I'm sure we would all benefit from the answers!
    USAF
    2012 Sahara 2 door
    Build Thread:(Insert Cool Jeep Name Here) Build Wishlist

I like this. I too would like to hear from past experience with multiple combos. Looking ahead to a v8 swap of some sort myself. What is the most cost effective swap? Something in the 325-350hp range that I don't feel like I have to buy d60's on top of the engine swap right away. Lightest weight swap? Etc etc.

Knows a Thing or Two Journeyman's Avatar
    I am also curious about the axle requirements for a V8.
    I would assume one tons would be somewhat of a requirement. I wouldn't think a D44 would survive very long with a V8 attached to the skinny pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    I would assume one tons would be somewhat of a requirement. I wouldn't think a D44 would survive very long with a V8 attached to the skinny pedal.
    That's more relative to gearing and tire size. I have a v8 with a 30 up front and a 44 in the back.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    That's more relative to gearing and tire size. I have a v8 with a 30 up front and a 44 in the back.
    Ok, so let's say 350 hp Jku with 37's and 5.13 gearing

Ok, so let's say 350 hp Jku with 37's and 5.13 gearing
    Second that. Same here.

Banned
    It really depends. Even if you're talking about 350hp, it depends on how you drive and what wheeling you're doing. If you're truly wanting to take advantage of the power, I'd say 60s would be recommended.

Knows a Thing or Two Thegreenmachine12's Avatar
    I've got the LS3 430hp crate motor with the factory W5A580 5 speed auto and it works very well, I'm running 3:54 gears on 37's and it turns 2,000 rpm at 70 mph. I average about 14.5 mpg.
    2012 Gecko JKU
    Dynatrac PR80 rear & PR60 front, 6.2L LS3 430HP swap, 6" Teraflex longarm, ATX Slabs, 37" Goodyears

It's a Wayalife!

Quote Originally Posted by thardy View Post
    It really depends. Even if you're talking about 350hp, it depends on how you drive and what wheeling you're doing. If you're truly wanting to take advantage of the power, I'd say 60s would be recommended.
    Kind of what I was expecting. I just don't have any first hand experience. I'm not a hard core, when in doubt gas it out type driver. But if I've got V8 horsepower on tap, I want to be able to have the option to use it!

Banned
    Kind of what I was expecting. I just don't have any first hand experience. I'm not a hard core, when in doubt gas it out type driver. But if I've got V8 horsepower on tap, I want to be able to have the option to use it!
    I mean, you could get by with 44s for a little while, but if it was me, there's no way I'd run anything less than 60s if I had a V8. But then again, Grubbicon's family has an LS TJ that still has the Turdy-5 in it. Obviously it's been all asphalt and driven easy, but still being done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast