There are lots of fluids you may want to have when offroading:
Gas
Water
Coolant
Gear Oil
Motor Oil
Power Steering Fluid
Etc

Gas and Water have quite a few storage/mounting solutions. What about the rest?

Show us how you transport your fluids!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hate carrying gas and try not to but when I do, I use a 4 gallon rotopax that's mounted to my EVO tire carrier.
I always try to carry as much water as is needed to sustain each person per day that we're out. That's typically about a gallon per person.
I don't bother carrying coolant because if needed, you could always just use water. Yeah, not the perfect solution but we're talking about trail fix here.
Oil, gear oil, PS fluid and transmission fluid, I carry what I can in a set of tall, water tight ammo cans.

Ddays

Hooked
For the pint & quart bottles I use a Home Depot 'homer' bucket with the lid. It has a rubber seal on the lid so that if something does leak it's contained inside. Easy to carry since it has a handle too. Just make sure its bungeed to something so it doesn't roll around

GraniteCrystal

I hate carrying gas and try not to but when I do, I use a 4 gallon rotopax that's mounted to my EVO tire carrier.
I always try to carry as much water as is needed to sustain each person per day that we're out. That's typically about a gallon per person.
I don't bother carrying coolant because if needed, you could always just use water. Yeah, not the perfect solution but we're talking about trail fix here.
Oil, gear oil, PS fluid and transmission fluid, I carry what I can in a set of tall, water tight ammo cans.

Ammo cans. Hadn't thought of that but sounds like a good solution. Got a pic to show size and location where you store them in the Jeep?

GraniteCrystal

For the pint & quart bottles I use a Home Depot 'homer' bucket with the lid. It has a rubber seal on the lid so that if something does leak it's contained inside. Easy to carry since it has a handle too. Just make sure its bungeed to something so it doesn't roll around

Nice idea! All the angles in the Jeep are so square though, I'm wondering if I could find something similar that is rectangular instead of circular just to save room.

Ddays

Hooked
Nice idea! All the angles in the Jeep are so square though, I'm wondering if I could find something similar that is rectangular instead of circular just to save room.

Yeah, I usually shove mine against the back of the seat and then bungee it. Or wedge it between my tool bags.

Jackal01

I don't have a setup for fuel transport yet but I put engine fluids in an 8 gallon Action Packer along with hoses and other spare parts. Ammo cans are a good idea...I may have to test that out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's what I carry my fluids in and technically, I believe they were used for carrying night vision goggles but I'm sure anything about this size will work.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470930725.056279.jpg

I normally stuff the top with spill kit pads or additional items but I pulled them out so you could see the fluids inside.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470930809.033642.jpg

As you can imagine, the back of my Jeep is normally packed with more bags but I removed them so you can see where I store the cans. I run small shop towels through the handles to help mitigate rattling and so that I have easy access to wiping my hands or drips.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470930988.608293.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, here's what I carry my fluids in and technically, I believe they were used for carrying night vision goggles but I'm sure anything about this size will work.
View attachment 216936

I normally stuff the top with spill kit pads or additional items but I pulled them out so you could see the fluids inside.
View attachment 216937

As you can imagine, the back of my Jeep is normally packed with more bags but I removed them so you can see where I store the cans. I run small shop towels through the handles to help mitigate rattling and so that I have easy access to wiping my hands or drips.
View attachment 216938

That looks like a great setup. I don't carry fluids but should. As you said in another thread, you can't really replicate that out in the sticks.

rogerk93

I currently have my trans fluid and oil in my tool bag and my coolant strapped in the back so it doesn't get thrown around. I want to get the artec industries fluid holder and mount it in the back of my jeep. I don't know why I haven't done it yet.

bsimon187

That is a great idea Eddie!

I had an unfortunate accident a few months back, where the container I was using to carry my extra gear oil, broke and somehow a bottle of gear oil emptied out in my trunk. Let me tell you now, that is not fun to clean up, nor get the smell out.

GraniteCrystal

Just adding to this...I see ammo cans for about $17 on Cabelas. The width of the 30 cal can is 4" and the width of the 50 cal can is 6.2". Based on that and the width of your typical fluids bottle, I think I'll need a 50 cal one. Eddie may be able to confirm since this is his idea.

$17 for a watertight, metal, looks sweet storage container so I never have a leak seems like a good deal to me.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Ammo cans! I've got a few of those laying around and was looking for a good watertight solution for this. Great idea

Top Bottom