Old hard top vs new?

Rubicrush

Hey guys and gals, so I may have access to getting a 2008 3 piece hard top. However I have a 2012 jku. I read a couple threads that claim the old tops fit on the newer jks, but the newer tops dont fit the early jks because of extra alignment pegs. The question i have is has anyone actually installed the old style top on the newer jks with any issues?

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The difference on the hard top (other than bigger windows on the newer tops) is the footman loop above the windshield. It needs to be moved over an inch or so and the plastic trimmed for the front middle latch/lever. Easy and simple. You will see where when you throw the freedom panels on.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I have an 09 and bought a 14 top worked awesome all I had to do was drill 2 holes in the top lip of the tub body where the top sits on for the guide pins to fit into bought it about a year ago and has been on since with no issues at all.

Zstairlessone

The difference on the hard top (other than bigger windows on the newer tops) is the footman loop above the windshield. It needs to be moved over an inch or so and the plastic trimmed for the front middle latch/lever. Easy and simple. You will see where when you throw the freedom panels on.

There is a kit for this - it is part of a recall / TSB for leaking roofs. The 08 Freedom tops work on newer Jeeps with no mod, the newer ones clamp to the repositioned footman loop so putting newer Freedom tops on an older JK needs the mod

geberhard

Douchebag
They are interchangeable, visually the main difference is the back window being larger on the 2012 and up.. As far as fit, the 2012 has a couple small locator "pegs" (allignment pins) in the rear. They are plastic with a center small allen head thin bolt. I had to remove them to make the 2012 top fit on my 2010 tub, otherwise you have to drill a couple small holes in the jeep tub rail.

Zstairlessone

2008 is the Red Rock one

2010 is the Surf Pearl Blue one

They aren't completely compatible as you can see. The rear section is, but the Freedom tops aren't. Older ones work on newer Jeeps but new ones won't work on older Jeeps without the footman loop update.

Attachments

• image-737401368.jpg
    image-737401368.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image-3350333599.jpg
    image-3350333599.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 29

Zstairlessone

Also, I have a 2013 rear section on my 2008 after the dealer damaged my original hard top. Yes it has larger Windows and no, there were no issues getting it on.

geberhard

Douchebag
Great comparo pic thanks! Do you have the rear bottom alignment pins on your top or where they missing when you got the top from the dealer (maybe dealer removed)?

Last edited:

Dopey84

I had the three piece on my 07' and sold it to a buddy with a 2012 and had no issues... Just make sure you get the hardware that screws into the lip of the cargo rail and the two screws that go in the top rail by the sound bar.

Top Bottom