5 tire rotation pattern

GraniteCrystal

I've already decided to do a 5 tire rotation. There are lots of ways to do this based on Google search. One way better than the others?

I called Discount Ture and he said they do spare -> RR -> LF - > LR - > RF -> spare.

Did some googling and couldn't find a thread on this but feel free to point me to one if it exists

thardy

Banned
I was wondering this the other day myself. Mainly, most of the offroad tires are designed to be directional, so if you're doing any rotation more than just front to rear, you'd have to unmount and remount the tire, right? Or am I just over thinking things?

Edit: the way you describe is what I have heard as well for a 5 tire rotation.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't know if there is a better way but I've been following this pattern for the last two years. Rotating every 3-5k/oil change.

1471037849858.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've already decided to do a 5 tire rotation. There are lots of ways to do this based on Google search. One way better than the others?

I called Discount Ture and he said they do spare -> RR -> LF - > LR - > RF -> spare.

Did some googling and couldn't find a thread on this but feel free to point me to one if it exists

That is not a proper rotation patter. Pattern is

Spare to RR to RF to LR to LF to spare

thardy

Banned
Ty beat me to it. This is the proper pattern

The directional part of the tires confuses me in a rotation like this. It's probably me taking it too literally, but yeah. The RF going to LR tread pattern won't match the others (depending on your tire of course). I'm sure that isn't that big of a deal but still something I seem to be struggling with.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The directional part of the tires confuses me in a rotation like this. It's probably me taking it too literally, but yeah. The RF going to LR tread pattern won't match the others (depending on your tire of course). I'm sure that isn't that big of a deal but still something I seem to be struggling with.

Well it's similar to doing a rear wheel drive 4 tire rotation if you think about it. In that rotation that two rear wheel go straigh forward while the two front cross to the opposite side. The theory is that you are taking the drive wheels and moving them so they pivot more and have less stress. Now the turning wheels will wear differently as well that they are on the rear. That is why the RR goes forward and the left rear goes back and across.

thardy

Banned
Well it's similar to doing a rear wheel drive 4 tire rotation if you think about it. In that rotation that two rear wheel go straigh forward while the two front cross to the opposite side. The theory is that you are taking the drive wheels and moving them so they pivot more and have less stress. Now the turning wheels will wear differently as well that they are on the rear. That is why the RR goes forward and the left rear goes back and across.

I definitely get the rotation itself. I'm talking about the actual tread pattern of the tire. It seems like the tread design would be facing two different directions unless you unmount the tire every time you rotate.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I definitely get the rotation itself. I'm talking about the actual tread pattern of the tire. It seems like the tread design would be facing two different directions unless you unmount the tire every time you rotate.

I'm not sure, but for what ever it's worth after 20k ish miles on my CL toyos there are no signs of cupping, chunking or uneven wear.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

That's for directional tires where you notice it, especially on sport cars and passenger cars. Majority of our off road tires are all symmetrical so you wouldn't see a pattern difference from one tire to the next

thardy

Banned
That's for directional tires where you notice it, especially on sport cars and passenger cars. Majority of our off road tires are all symmetrical so you wouldn't see a pattern difference from one tire to the next

I gotcha. Hell, 2 of the 4 vehicles I've had l couldn't rotate because the sizes were different front and rear. Just never really thought about the patterns of offroad tires.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I gotcha. Hell, 2 of the 4 vehicles I've had l couldn't rotate because the sizes were different front and rear. Just never really thought about the patterns of offroad tires.

Yea that's the problem with a staggered set up sometimes. Majority of tires now a days will have a specific outside and inside so that they can be rotated normally. For example trail grapps are symmetrical tires. The only thing they have is a different sidewall lug and you just need to mount them depending on what side you want facing out.

jeeeep

Hooked

yep, modified X - I've been having them do this on our Toyota and my last few Jeeps, been getting good mileage out of the tires and the wear stays pretty even across all tires.

Corby417

I thought I had a good rotation going until I started reading this thread. I'd love to hear some feedback on what I have been doing. Since I'm a visual person, allow my poor art skills to show you how I've been doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 310

GraniteCrystal

Went to get DT to do mine today. Here is what they said they do:

IMG_20170128_125345.jpg

Something about the right rear tire being the tire on most cars that takes the most wear.

Seems like a good enough pattern and they've been doing mine so I guess I'll be sticking with that.

CharlesC

This is how I have been rotating mine. Seems to be working, tire ware seems to be good. I like to rotate every 3-4K miles, I'm on my 3rd rotation. Not for sure if this is the best way, but seems to be working so far🥃. IMG_0260.JPG
First time posting pic-if not there Ill try again[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom