Documentaries - Tell Us Your Favorites

swampdog

So, I've been on a documentary kick lately and have watched a few that stand out and would like to hear some of your favorites. Also, if you streamed them, let us know what service they were available on.

A few standouts:

Restrepo - Frontline Afghan War Battle Doc. - Netflix
Cartel Land - Mexican Cartel Doc - Netflix
Hoop Dreams - Follows 2 Inner City Chicago Youth's progression from 14 to college - Netflix
Apex - Hypercar documentary - Netflix

epetry

My top 3 are:

1. Food INC
2. Street genius
3 brain games.

Also Restrepo but you already said that.

Napalm

Burn: The Detroit Fire Documentary is a great one. It's a year in the life of the Detroit Fire Department, going through the bankruptcy and having to deal with hardships of running a huge fire service with no money. It also touches on the large arson problem and the vacancy of the city. It takes personal accounts of the fire personnel and is really interesting.

It's on Hulu, check it out!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
So, I've been on a documentary kick lately and have watched a few that stand out and would like to hear some of your favorites. Also, if you streamed them, let us know what service they were available on.

A few standouts:

Restrepo - Frontline Afghan War Battle Doc. - Netflix
Cartel Land - Mexican Cartel Doc - Netflix
Hoop Dreams - Follows 2 Inner City Chicago Youth's progression from 14 to college - Netflix
Apex - Hypercar documentary - Netflix

Second all of these. Restrepo was unbelievably good.

Jackal01

I saw Food Inc years ago....changed my outlook on food and even what we buy/eat. Good choice.

Making a Murderer

I watch so many I can't pin point any. Documentaries are my go-to on Netflix which is all we have along with Prime. No cable or satellite.

sc_rhino

Chef's Table on Netflix is good. Also Somm follows four sommeliers trying to pass their master sommelier exam.

scull20

...in no particular order:

-Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037 (I'll never get tired of watching that one, used to be on Netflix streaming)

-Restrepo (eye opening, to say the least)

-The Greatest Movie Ever Sold (A Morgan Spurlok creation about advertising and product placement that is totally funded by advertising and product placement)

-Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (just came out recently...I was pretty floored after watching it)

-James May On The Moon (awesome and educational)

-James May At The Edge Of Space (see above)

...and not necessarily documentaries, but educational, entertaining and will otherwise put me to sleep in a matter of minutes...not because I think they're boring, it just sort of happens lol):

-How It's Made (any/all seasons/shows)

-New Yankee Workshop (any/all seasons/shows)

-Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting (any/all seasons/shows)

Last edited:

robx251

Caught the Bug
Have any of you guys see.the sequal to restrepo, Korengal? That is also very good.

Also among my favorites any war documentaries including the Soviet story and all of the history channel in hd or in color films of WW2 and Vietnam.

swampdog

...in no particular order:

-Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037 (I'll never get tired of watching that one, used to be on Netflix streaming)

-Restrepo (eye opening, to say the least)

-The Greatest Movie Ever Sold (A Morgan Spurlok creation about advertising and product placement that is totally funded by advertising and product placement)

-Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (just came out recently...I was pretty floored after watching it)

-James May On The Moon (awesome and educational)

-James May At The Edge Of Space (see above)

...and not necessarily documentaries, but educational, entertaining and will otherwise put me to sleep in a matter of minutes...not because I think they're boring, it just sort of happens lol):

-How It's Made (any/all seasons/shows)

-New Yankee Workshop (any/all seasons/shows)

-Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting (any/all seasons/shows)

Going clear is a great one too, I forgot about that.

And yes, although unrelated, New Yankee Workshop is enthralling me. I have so much respect for old school craftsmanship, and that dude has it by the boatload. Half of the tools he uses I didn't know even exist. Great call.

Modit

Great thread! I love documentaries.

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned but here's a few more.

On Any Sunday and On Any Sunday II. Currently on Amazon (Lots of neat old motorcycle footage)
Road. Netflix (another motorcycle documentary)
In the Shadow of the Moon. Netflix
An Idiot Abroad. Netflix (I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while learning about interesting people and places)

Dalton gang

I'm subscribed , I love documentaries . As a guy who loves fishing I suggest Dam nation/ Netflix , also happy/Netflix

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Not really sure these are documentaries but: The long Way Round and The Long Way Down. Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman riding motorcycles from London to New York and Scotland to South Africa. Both on Netflix.

sc_rhino

If you have Crackle and like Jerry Seinfeld, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" is really good. It's obviously a comedy but they also feature some classic cars.

Top Bottom