08 jk overheating

Bmans08jk

I have a 2008 Jeep JK. It was overheating and I noticed that the lower intake was leaking, replace upper and lower intake gaskets and the thermostat. After filling it up with coolant and driving it to make sure there was no air pockets it is still overheating and there is no leaks. It only gets hot in city driving. My radiator fan is working good and the radiator has good flow. Did the 08 hve the head problems and did it cause them to overheat, or was it just a misfire that is caused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2008 Jeep JK. It was overheating and I noticed that the lower intake was leaking, replace upper and lower intake gaskets and the thermostat. After filling it up with coolant and driving it to make sure there was no air pockets it is still overheating and there is no leaks. It only gets hot in city driving. My radiator fan is working good and the radiator has good flow. Did the 08 hve the head problems and did it cause them to overheat, or was it just a misfire that is caused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

may be water pump or belt slipping? how long has it been since you changed the belt?

TRLJNKY

Have you pressure tested it? If not that would be my next thing to do and watch for a pressure drop if no apparent leaks found. Ive had no issues with my 07 short of a waterpump and radiator. Hope you find it quickly and its an easy fix

Bmans08jk

The radiator is only a year old and its a flex a light. The water pump is the only thing thats not new within the last year.

WJCO

Meme King
Early 12s had the head problem. Did it ever overheat to the point of potential damage? You could have a blockage in the rad, check with a temp gun. Also make sure shroud is tight against the rad with no gaps.

Bmans08jk

No never got that hot to damage it. The radiator has a built in shroud and ill check it with a temp gun. Thanks for the fast replys.

deadguy

I'd pull the thermostat and make sure it's opening when it's supposed to. Cheap part can ruin everything

WJCO

Meme King
You can check tstat operation without removing it too by using a temp laser. Just shine on both sides of it over about a 10 inch span. That will give you a pretty good idea if it's opening or not.

Bmans08jk

I got the thermostat from the dealer. I put a temp gun on the radiator and its good it ranges from 190 to 175. Ill pull the thermostat when i get off and check that today. Whats the temp on the thermostat supposed to be so i can make sure its right when i get it out.

WJCO

Meme King
I got the thermostat from the dealer. I put a temp gun on the radiator and its good it ranges from 190 to 175. Ill pull the thermostat when i get off and check that today. Whats the temp on the thermostat supposed to be so i can make sure its right when i get it out.

I think it's a 195, but I'm not 100% sure. But again, if you use your laser, you should be able to tell if it's opening or not without actually removing the thermostat.

WJCO

Meme King
Do the JKs run a single speed or dual speed fan? If dual speed, make sure high speed is working as well.

rinkishjk

Do the JKs run a single speed or dual speed fan? If dual speed, make sure high speed is working as well.

My 09 has dual speeds. That's the reason noriceforme overheated this weekend wheeling and had to leave, his high speed fan was not working.

WJCO

Meme King
My 09 has dual speeds. That's the reason noriceforme overheated this weekend wheeling and had to leave, his high speed fan was not working.

Wonder if it was a relay or fan itself? Usually if you turn on the AC, it will force the fan into high speed mode.

Top Bottom