CALAMITY JANE : 1974 Jeep CJ5 Renegade

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this was totally an impulse buy but Cindy and I just happen to see a cute little CJ for sale and couldn't leave it sitting all alone by the roadside. Turns out it's a 1974 Jeep CJ5 Renegade with an AMC 304 V8 under the hood, a T-15 3-Speed manual transmission, a Dana 20 transfer case, Dana 30 front axle with WARN locking hubs and a Dana 44 rear axle. With the exception of a brand new set of 31x10.50 BFG AT's mounted on the super clean factory Renegade aluminum wheels and a homemade cage welded onto the factory roll bar, this Jeep is essentially bone stock, or for the most part anyway. Under the hood is a Holley carburetor, an Edelbrock air intake, MSD distributor and to cough it all out is a brand new Dynomax exhaust system. The previous owner also had a new radiator installed, new exhaust manifolds installed and a new gas tank installed complete with new fuel lines. Other new additions include Rancho RS5000 shocks and a Bestop soft top with 2-piece soft doors. All the lights and gauges work and while I have little doubt the odometer has rolled at least once, it only showed 46,800. All that being said, if there one feature on it that we were really surprised to see and absolutely love, it's the first year ever, factory installed WARN 8274 winch and winch plate! As some of you may know, this is one of the BEST 8000 lb. winches WARN has ever made and the "74" in the 8274 represents the year it was introduced.

Sure, this little CJ is a bit rough around the edges and far from being a beauty queen but in so many ways, that's what we love about it. Also, we know that anything made in the short 1972-75 time span is considered to be an "intermediate" CJ5 and harder to work on compared to something like a 76-81 CJ5 but again, that is what we love about it. Last but not least, while we found this Jeep up in Truckee, CA, we learned that it was originally from Fallon, NV and knew we had to repatriate it. Anyway, I hope you like the newest addition to the WAYALIFE family and I hope you follow it along as we try to restore and build it up. :cool:

Here are some basic all around shots to show you what it looked like soon after bringing it home.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here's a few close up shots of the Jeep factory installed WARN 8274 winch.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Shots of the CJ5 emblem and "Jeep" embossing.
main.php

main.php

Here's a closer view of the factory aluminum wheels that came on CJ5 Renegades back in the day.
main.php

And here are a few interior shots.
main.php

The dash is still has the original Jetset Blue Metallic paint that the whole Jeep used to be and we hope to redo.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Check out how clean the floor pans are - NO RUST!
main.php

To help take better photos of the interior, under the hood and underneath, we brought the CJ into the garage to give everything even lighting.
main.php

Here you can see the original factory tilt and fold seat that would have been part of a split bench setup. The driver seat is a newer aftermarket seat but the previous owner had both reupholstered to match.
main.php

Here's a few shots of the tool box that all CJ's used to come with.
main.php

A better look with the passenger seat folded out of the way.
main.php

And here's a peek inside - As you'll notice, you can't seen the ground!
main.php

Under what would have been the rear seat, the floor does have a little surface rust but nothing close to being cancerous.
main.php

Here are a few shots looking under the hood and checking out the way cool AMC 304 V8!
main.php

main.php

main.php

Now for a few under shots.
main.php

From the rear, you can see the brand new gas tank.
main.php

Here you can see the shiny and new Dynomax exhaust system. Unfortunately, the transfer case was lowered quite a bit to accommodate the exhaust cross over so I may have to rethink the routing.
main.php

Now for some of the bummer stuff. At some point and time, both front fenders had been crudely hacked away to allow for headers to be installed. Of course, they have been removed but the holes still remain.
main.php

For some crazy reason or another, someone thought it would be good to weld brackets onto the frame and bolt the fenders to it without any form of isolation. Needless to say, both front fenders are in really bad shape.
main.php

There is a tear on the passenger side floor. From what I can tell, this CJ5 may have had homemade rocker guards installed at some point and time and a hard hit tore the undersized bolt that secured it to this point. Gonna need to do some welding here.
main.php

Because intermediate CJ5's like this didn't have boxed in frames like modern Jeeps have today, having them bend and tear at the mounts isn't uncommon. Fortunately, this is a 1974 CJ5 with a 304 and a few key areas were boxed in from the factory. The parts that were and had seen tearing, the previous owner was good enough to have welded up.
main.php

main.php

main.php

So the nasty trailer hitch definitely needs to go but as you can see, this CJ5 had either been re-ended or it backed into something hard enough to have the spare do damage to the tub. Gonna need to do some repair work here.
main.php

Aside from that, this CJ5 runs great and I drove it all the way home from Truckee without any problems! Hell, so far as I can tell, the engine doesn't even leak and the motor sounds awesome. Being that we weren't planning on buying this Jeep, we haven't given it a name yet but Cindy has taken a real liking to it and likes to think of the "CJ" to stand for "Cindy's Jeep". :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, as I had mentioned earlier, this way cool CJ5 also came with a brand new Bestop soft top and 2-piece soft doors. When we brought it home, we just carried the extra pieces in Moby but before we stripped it all off, Cindy and I decided to completely install everything on so that we could see what it would look like. And, here are some shots that show just that. :cool:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The next time I post up pics, this CJ will be all stripped down :)

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Man you guys are going to have a Jeep museum when it is all said and done!!

PS you are correct the 8274 is a legit winch.

:cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like it! I want to impulse buy old Jeeps ;) Congrats!

Ya just gotta do it :crazyeyes:

Good find! Can't wait to see it with some more TLC.

Me too! Cindy is still out in the garage work on it now. Gonna try and see what if any parts I can still get for this thing.

Congrats that thing is awesome! This reminds me I need to get my CJ7 on the road again haha

I didn't know you have a CJ7. Do you have pics of it here?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool find.

Thanks! I hate seeing nice old Jeeps on the side of the road that nobody wants :crazyeyes:

Man you guys are going to have a Jeep museum when it is all said and done!!

PS you are correct the 8274 is a legit winch.

:cheesy:

LOL!! That's the plan or at least if I can help it :D
Hey, you guys wouldn't happen to make a lift kit for an intermediate CJ5 would ya? :crazyeyes:

Nice buy! That will be a fun project!

Thanks! I'm still working on Emma so Cindy's been having fun with her Jeep :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aw, she need to be painted back to that ice blue color!

Oh yeah, that's the plan for sure. Gonna see of Omix-Ada makes fenders and a hood for an intermediate CJ. We'll do as much body work as we can and then will have it painted up. Already found an old paint chip set for 1974 and will ask our shop to match it - Jetset Blue Metallic :thumb:

benatc1

Hooked
that's awesome guys! that's going good to be a fun project for sure! looking forward to seeing it come along!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That's so awesome! I bet that warn still works better after all these years then a brand new Chinese winch!

Outfield

Great Find Eddie and Cindy!

The winch is actually a model M8074, there is no clutch lever. The M8274 winch model has the clutch lever.

I think this is the coolest rig ever, with all its originality, wheels, CJ-5 badge, 304, T15, 20 T-case, fold forward seat etc, and especially the Jeep spec winch!

I had a 74 CJ-5 for almost 10 years, fun little Jeep that would go anywhere...

Steve from WARN!

Nice buy! That will be a fun project!

Top Bottom