Question about JK manual trans

Mrfixitpls

Hey everyone. I have a new to me 09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara manual and I have a question about the transmission. When starting from a stop I let the clutch out and start to move and it starts to stutter. It only does it when I start out slow or sitting in traffic. I have a daily commute of about 145 miles and sit in lots of traffic. Other times it doesn't do it. I have looked under it didn't see anything obvious wrong. So my question is, is this something normal or should I investigate more?

Kyle7R

Is this your first manual vehicle? I catch myself nearly stalling at times if I behind absent minded or just left the gym after leg day :thumb:

Draconianwinter

It is more likely that even if you're used to a manual these trans they put in the jk are very different than any I have ever driven. Seems to be learning curve to it. I do the same in my 2016 rubicon from time to time if I try and start out very slowly

kbd2b1

From another new to me JK owner, I agree with the other replies. This 6 speed is finicky. I hadn't been in a manual in a number of years and thought I just needed more practice with mine. For reference I have had my JK Sahara for about 60 days. Anyway, it wasn't until spending a day with a loaner '15 Mustang GT manual that I decided it must be a Jeep thing. Welcome to the forum.

JKU Arizona

Hey everyone. I have a new to me 09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara manual and I have a question about the transmission. When starting from a stop I let the clutch out and start to move and it starts to stutter. It only does it when I start out slow or sitting in traffic. I have a daily commute of about 145 miles and sit in lots of traffic. Other times it doesn't do it. I have looked under it didn't see anything obvious wrong. So my question is, is this something normal or should I investigate more?

It shouldn't be that bad, and after you drive it for a while you should already be used to the getting out of first gear. But if it's really lagging all the time you might want to check your air filter and changing it out if it's dirty. If that doesn't fix it another solution would be to clean out your throttle body, cleaning the throttle body is really simple (there's a tutorial out there) and it takes less than 1 hr. Hope this helps.

JoeB-JKURX

Don't know if you have larger tires than stock. When I got my '14 Unlimited Rubi, starting out in first was smooth and easy. When I moved up to 35's, I notice a bit of a lag as I start to move out. I don't think your issue is anything to do with the tranny but, rather, that the Jeep is pretty heavy, the gears are not that low, and the engine doesn't have that much juice. Shifting between gears seems a no-brainer (not much that much different from other stick shift vehicles I've had) though a lack of a gate below reverse for the shifter sometimes elicits a grind (only before you get used to where sixth gear really is). I expect to get my smooth and easy back when I go to 37's and a 5.13. To make sure, I may go to the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with the heavy flywheel. I understand it (the flywheel) will let you crawl over things with an engine speed around 500 RPM (and would help with any lag at a start from stop).

Corby417

From another new to me JK owner, I agree with the other replies. This 6 speed is finicky. I hadn't been in a manual in a number of years and thought I just needed more practice with mine. For reference I have had my JK Sahara for about 60 days. Anyway, it wasn't until spending a day with a loaner '15 Mustang GT manual that I decided it must be a Jeep thing. Welcome to the forum.

I'll agree to this as well. First time I drove my Rubi it felt different than any other manual trans I've driven. I used to sell cars and I've still yet to drive a car with a manual trans that felt like my Jeep's. You'll get used to it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I do not have any evidence of this but I believe it has something to do with the hill holding feature. On the one I use to have that was a standard, if I used the brakes to hold it at a stop on a slight hill it would almost always stall when I let off the brakes and tried to go. If I did not use the brakes it wouldn't stall. Again, I am not saying that this is what it is. It's just something I think. I've driven standards for most of my life and would stall that jeep just like I was learning how to drive.

JoeB-JKURX

I do not have any evidence of this but I believe it has something to do with the hill holding feature. On the one I use to have that was a standard, if I used the brakes to hold it at a stop on a slight hill it would almost always stall when I let off the brakes and tried to go. If I did not use the brakes it wouldn't stall. Again, I am not saying that this is what it is. It's just something I think. I've driven standards for most of my life and would stall that jeep just like I was learning how to drive.

You can turn the Hill Start Assist off or on with the Menu on the steering wheel. The only time I found it to be very useful was on that three point switchback on Black Bear.

Eagle1911

I have the same thing on my 2010 Rubi. You didn't mention if you had stock or larger tires. If you have larger tires and still retain the stock gears, it will be more noticeable.

Mrfixitpls

Don't know if you have larger tires than stock. When I got my '14 Unlimited Rubi, starting out in first was smooth and easy. When I moved up to 35's, I notice a bit of a lag as I start to move out. I don't think your issue is anything to do with the tranny but, rather, that the Jeep is pretty heavy, the gears are not that low, and the engine doesn't have that much juice. Shifting between gears seems a no-brainer (not much that much different from other stick shift vehicles I've had) though a lack of a gate below reverse for the shifter sometimes elicits a grind (only before you get used to where sixth gear really is). I expect to get my smooth and easy back when I go to 37's and a 5.13. To make sure, I may go to the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with the heavy flywheel. I understand it (the flywheel) will let you crawl over things with an engine speed around 500 RPM (and would help with any lag at a start from stop).

It still has the stock tire size on it. I haven't put bigger tires on it yet. That will happen soon.

Mrfixitpls

I appreciate all the input. What I have gotten out of them is I am still in the learning phase of driving a jeep. More to come. Thanks again for all the input.

Heavyhaul07

I've found my self not paying attention at a take off and slowly letting out the clutch with no throttle or very little and have stalled it several times. 12 jkur 4:10 35". I've got used to driving semis for years where I'd just ease out the clutch with no throttle to get rolling. Never drive mine with stock tires. I've noticed that starting on a steeper hill I have to ride the clutch more than I would like to to get going or it stalls out. I contribute it to lack of low end torque in the v6 unlike the 4.0 inline.

Top Bottom