Lake Tahoe Trails Besides Rubicon

ali@home

Hello Everyone,

A small group of us (friends/family) will be going up to Lake Tahoe for Labor Day weekend this year. We are staying in a friends cabin so we don't plan on doing any multi day camping trips, but I would love to get some wheeling in while I am up there. Two of us have JKUs but both are still stock Rubicons. Of course I want to do the Rubicon trail since I will be up there, but the fact of the matter is both rigs and drivers are not yet prepared to tackle the trail.

So my question is- does anyone recommend some nice trails in the Lake Tahoe Area that can be done in one day? It would be nice to maybe go wheeling for a bit park up and maybe hit some hikes in the same day. A little background: 2 JKUR, I would consider myself intermediate on the trails and my cousin and his JK would probably more so be a beginner.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DRTYRAT30

Corral Hollow trail is somewhat close to Tahoe area and has an easy to moderate offroad trail as well as some hiking areas around the back side of Bear Valley. The Offroad trail is 13.7 miles long takes anywhere from 3-4hrs and has some nice scenery. It's off of HWY 4 next to SlickRock trail by Bear Valley.

ali@home

Corral Hollow trail is somewhat close to Tahoe area and has an easy to moderate offroad trail as well as some hiking areas around the back side of Bear Valley. The Offroad trail is 13.7 miles long takes anywhere from 3-4hrs and has some nice scenery. It's off of HWY 4 next to SlickRock trail by Bear Valley.

Awesome thanks for the tip! I will look into it more but it seems a bit far from where we will be staying. I read somewhere Rubicon can be run just to observation and back and knocked out in one day, anyone done that before?

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Awesome thanks for the tip! I will look into it more but it seems a bit far from where we will be staying. I read somewhere Rubicon can be run just to observation and back and knocked out in one day, anyone done that before?

Very easy trail and yes, can be knocked out in like half a day I imagine.

ali@home

Very easy trail and yes, can be knocked out in like half a day I imagine.

I see, maybe just do that for the views. It's just a shame going all the way to rubicon and not fully experiencing it. So going that way I would start by running the trail backwards, right?

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I see, maybe just do that for the views. It's just a shame going all the way to rubicon and not fully experiencing it. So going that way I would start by running the trail backwards, right?

Well, most people run it into Tahoe but quite a few go your direction to the lookout. Just don't go past the lookout down Cadillac hill.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
Here are a few trails you can do in a stock Rubicon, Kings canyon can get a bit overgrown so carrying a machete is helpful.

Ellis Peak (west shore), Blackwood Canyon ( west shore),Richardson Lake (west shore) Mt Watson ( Tahoe City) Genoa Peak Trail ( Kingsbury Grade) Spooner Summit Trail ( Spooner Summit) Logan House Trail (spur off Genoa Peak) & Kings CanyonTrail which will take you down into Carson City from Spooner Summit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom