TEXAS: Locations & Wheeling Destinations Thread

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
TEXAS: Locations & Wheeling Destinations Thread

As the Texas chapter of WAL continues to grow, I am sure everyone is with me when your Initial thought was "I wish we had more places to explore." Well the fun part is, we actually do. Most people wheeling In Texas know about Barnwell, Hiddenfalls, & K2 (Thanks to JKX); But there are MANY more destinations worth checking out in our state. I thought it would be fun to start a locations & future wheeling destinations thread so as to help aid in planning trips for new destinations & adventures.

Here are a few places that Instantly pop up to mind as somewhere I personally would like to explore more or visit for the first time here in Texas. :thumb:

Please add/discuss destinations, trails, locations, share pictures, etc. (lets keep this to LEGAL use land only please)

I think this could be a great thread to help diversify the local Texas WAL trips. I would also like to see more trips like The Exodus 2017 , talk/plans for Moab, see who is interested and when people are available to make bigger (longer/further) trips happen. :thumb:

:beer:

Last edited:

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
wouldn't mind hitting the big bend state park supposed to have a bit there as well for sights and some trails as well ... been to the national park more than once and would love to do it again .. my advice for there however is go before mid may or hold off till later in sept ... went end of may one year and came back looking like a lobster

wouldn't mind hitting the big bend state park supposed to have a bit there as well for sights and some trails as well ... been to the national park more than once and would love to do it again .. my advice for there however is go before mid may or hold off till later in sept ... went end of may one year and came back looking like a lobster

Wonder what big bend is like in the winter time? I would think pretty mild right? We got that October trip to hidden falls. Would be cool to do a 4-day weekend trip to BB in like December if it's not going to be too cold overnight for camping.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
haven't been in dec so not sure but I do know up in the mountain areas they can get snow in the winter months ... I've been prolly 6 times and still have yet to see it all , driven black gap and a good portion of the other back roads within the park but there is a lot that you only see while on foot , set a base camp and off i've gone for a day in one direction before returning for the night to head off in another direction the next day ... or stashed a few supplies ( water mainly) and kept on trekking .. 062.jpg 079.jpg never seen a purple prickly pear till I went there , and the hot springs was nice ... best was early march when the yucca's were in bloom

USMC Wrangler

Wonder what big bend is like in the winter time? I would think pretty mild right? We got that October trip to hidden falls. Would be cool to do a 4-day weekend trip to BB in like December if it's not going to be too cold overnight for camping.

Although I don't live there anymore, the two winters I did live there had snow in the higher elevations and down right frigid in the lower. I'd call it unpredictable at best. As remote as it is, you can't just pick up in the middle of the night a drive around the corner to a hotel. (1.5-2 hr drive to the closest all night check in hotels in Alpine)

If you are geared for and accustomed to cold weather camping (not Arctic by any means) then go for it.

Just my 2¢

Exodus 4x4

IMO the state park is better. Definitely more primitive even for west Texas standards but more scenic if you know where to go.

Exodus 4x4

This is great thread, and will help determine parts of the 2018 Exodus trip which should have a more of a southern route OUT of Texas than the 2017[emoji6].

This is great thread, and will help determine parts of the 2018 Exodus trip which should have a more of a southern route OUT of Texas than the 2017[emoji6].

Yes, like Clayton OK, Hot Springs AR, and the Ozarks. They can definitely be done in a one time trip. That would be an epic trip as well.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Phone app is acting up hence the double post. I'm glad you guys like the thread. :beer: here's to hoping it sparks some trips!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm watching YouTube on Trees Ranch right now... everyone will definately need lockers, sliders, and 35s at a minimum! Not to mention, carrying spare axle shafts may not be a bad idea... :thumb: they have some sick, unforgiving terrain for sure!

Last edited:

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
been doing some looking into the Kiamichi trail since I hadn't heard of it till seeing it in a post , kinda thinking I want to do it prolly mid march of next yr when I'm on vacation

Napalm

been doing some looking into the Kiamichi trail since I hadn't heard of it till seeing it in a post , kinda thinking I want to do it prolly mid march of next yr when I'm on vacation

I'll second a trip to the K trail. Been before. Not a technical trail by any means but a great scenic one.

By the way - got your PM. Just haven't had time to reply yet!

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I'll second a trip to the K trail. Been before. Not a technical trail by any means but a great scenic one.

By the way - got your PM. Just haven't had time to reply yet!

looks like it could be a good couple of days with the side runs off it and being close to home means head out in the am an be there by nightfall ........

np on the reply wound up goofing off this am so most likely wont head out till a bit later in the am thinking about 10 -11

Top Bottom