Could use some help with battery question

mpayne

Tonight I installed an Airaid cold air intake. Followed all instructions and upon completion go to re-connect the negative battery cable. The on touching the cable to the terminal, the battery starts a rhythmic clicking and won't stop. I disconnect the cable and try it again; the horn gives a short blast, the clicking continues. I'm able to start the Jeep, but the clicking continues from the battery. Each time I touch the cable to the terminal, there's a short blast of the horn, and clicking. For now, I've unhooked the cable. Before I did the work, there was no noise whatsoever from the battery. No idea when the cable was last disconnected. The guy I bought the Jeep from a couple of months ago said the battery was only a couple of years old, and it still seems to have plenty of power.

Any ideas on what might be causing the clicking?

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. I have never heard of such a thing as a battery clicking. Are you sure it's not a relay or the TIPM? And a cold air intake should have no effect on the battery at all.

JeepDrum

The horn is normal anytime you disconnect and reconnect the battery. As for the clicking, I would think it would have to be a relay or something and not the actual battery.

Edit: Are there any aftermarket relays near the battery? Maybe for lights or something like that?

Wvjeepguy

Honestly, it sounds like the cold air intake pipe is shorting against some electrical component. I'd take the intake off temporarily and reconnect the battery and see if it clicks. If it stops, inspect the area where the intake sets to see if it's touching anything electrical.

JAGS

Hooked
Sorry OP, I'm of no help. Hopefully you figure out the issue.

Yet another reason though why I won't be running a CAI anytime soon. I've read about messing up the sensors and various other issues when installing these things.

Orage_Jeeper

I would go about testing the ignition relays as I've had issues with those on my jk. When the one went out it was making the same sort of clicking sound you're describing.

Tomb1957

Did you have to remove the battery for the CAI install? If you did, make sure you didn't get any wiring pinched around or under the battery. But, it most likely is a relay.

Last edited:

mpayne

Follow up

Thanks everybody for the responses. After letting it "rest" (gremlins?) I tried re-connecting to see if I could more accurately pinpoint the clicking sound, and naturally it didn't make the clicking any longer, and everything appears and sounds normal (this was after previously re-connecting at least three or four times with the clicking result). I'll check for maybe a relay from an add-on installed by the previous owner.

The CAI install didn't require removing the battery - just an instruction to remove the negative battery cable (presumably to avoid shock while working under the hood). I'll also check for a short caused by the intake install, but there is really nothing electrical in the vicinity. Nevertheless, I appreciate the suggestions. Makes me aware of all the things to pay attention to in the future.

Top Bottom