Reno Area 9/2-9/6 - suggestions please!

Hunter Lake Run Date (for those able to make it)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tcjku

EDIT - Putting together a Hunter Lake run on Saturday 10/1 or Sunday 10/2. If you're interested in joining us, please vote for the dates you're available in the poll above.

EDIT - I'll be in Reno from 10/1 - 10-5

Hi there,

(I was originally going to be in Reno for the long weekend 9/2-9/6, but had to change dates). As I'm going to be wheeling on my own, and I'm relatively new to all of this, I'm looking for some scenic, low risk trails to check out that are near the area. I've got the Nevada Trails - Western Region book and I'm looking at Poeville Mining District trail, Thomas Creek trail and Old Geiger Grade toll road, as they all look doable with no drama.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other trails in the area, that are ok for exploring solo without getting into too much trouble?

Last edited:

Robs_Red_JK

Hunter Creek is a great one for going solo. Alot of it is pretty mellow but it has a couple spots that take a little work but nothing bad at at all. Like Quicksilver said it has great views and really doesn't cause problems till it snows. I haven't been on the others that you were looking at before so I don't have any input unfortunately.

tcjku

Hunter Creek is a great one for going solo. Alot of it is pretty mellow but it has a couple spots that take a little work but nothing bad at at all. Like Quicksilver said it has great views and really doesn't cause problems till it snows. I haven't been on the others that you were looking at before so I don't have any input unfortunately.

Thanks Rob - the others are just fire roads that lead to interesting views I think.

DRTY4x4

Hunter Lake is a great idea. Go in through the Caughlin, up to the "lake" and west through the meadow, then come out Garson Road. One of my favorite spots for lunch. There's also Jumbo Grade, in through Lockwood (just east of town) and out through Lousetown and then on to either Geiger Grade, Toll Road, or Jumbo Grade. If you have a bit more time, head up towards Lake Tahoe. At the junction of US50 and SR28 (behind the maintenance station), there's a trailhead for Genoa Peak which comes out on Kingsbury Grade. Enjoy the views of Tahoe and then grab a bite in South Lake while you're there. I hope ya have a great time!

TRLJNKY

FiresJK and myself are trying a little Hunter Lake trip this Sat or Sunday if you were interested. Still locking in the details.

tcjku

I hope ya have a great time!

Thanks for all the tips - I'll take a look on the map and see which of these we can squeeze in.

cav♤fighter;762039 said:
FiresJK and myself are trying a little Hunter Lake trip this Sat or Sunday if you were interested. Still locking in the details.

I really appreciate the invitation and I'd love to join you. Unfortunately my new kitten got sick, so I have to administer antibiotics 4 times a day. Consequently we had to push the trip out to the first weekend of October.

As you can see from the pic below, I couldn't leave the poor guy behind for the weekend :)

Yeit_sick.jpg

Joshman3280

Sorry to see about the cat I understand animal problems, if you guys go out on hunter lake trail hit me up I need to stretch out the xj's legs a little.

tcjku

Hunter Lake

It seems like a lot of people are interested in doing a hunter lake run, and that would be a great opportunity for me to meet a few locals and find out more about Reno, so let's actually plan this ahead of time.

For those of you interested in going, does Saturday 1st or Sunday 2nd work better? We'll commit to which ever day makes the most sense for other folks.

TRLJNKY

Im a on the maybe list. If i am able to go it will be on a Sunday for me. Kids in sports on Saturdays.

tcjku

OK - let's plan on Sunday then.

As I'm not sure of the logistics, can you suggest the following:

Where should we meet?
How long does it take to run the trail (providing there are no mishaps)
And, what time do you want to meet?
Oh, and FRS, CB or Ham radios for comms?

We've got an open schedule. However, we're likely going to be out on the town on Saturday night, so would prefer not to start too early in the morning.

Fires JK

Where should we meet?

We've got an open schedule. However, we're likely going to be out on the town on Saturday night, so would prefer not to start too early in the morning.

Last time we met at the Scolaris grocery store near the trail head at 9am CB's We did not do the whole trail so I don't know how long it will take.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Where should we meet?

Like Fires said. The typical meetup is at scolaries parking lot off of Caughlin pkwy. The entire trail takes roughly 3-4hrs and ends up at boomtown west of Reno. Most everyone runs CBs

tcjku

Last time we met at the Scolaris grocery store near the trail head at 9am CB's We did not do the whole trail so I don't know how long it will take.

9am Sunday (2nd Oct) works for us. We'll be in the Scolaris parking lot in a white JKU. We'll plan on getting some provisions at the grocery store for a lunch on the trail. We're looking forward to meeting a few locals and getting some dirt under the jeep :)

Feel free to invite anyone along that might be interested.

Top Bottom