Custom Rock Sliders Install questions

JKU Arizona

So I decided to fabricate a set of rock sliders and i have a few install questions. I'm leaning towards welding them on vs bolting them on. My only concern is welding near the gas tank. Is there any precautions i have to take/consider? should i drop the tank? fill it up so there's no vapors in it? or is it pretty safe to just weld next to it the way it sits?

I'm not a professional welder, i decided to buy a welder along with a few other metal working tools a few months ago (to do hobby projects). So instead of dropping 500-600 on a set i've decided to make my own out of 1 1/2" .120 dom round tubing and use that money towards other mods. There's about $150 worth of material and 2 partial weekends so far. They're pretty much done waiting for paint to cure before installing them. Decided to check in with you guys on opinions regarding the welding next to a gas tank question.

Thanks!

Sliders Cad001.jpg

20160827_182355.jpg

20160827_134232.jpg

20160827_120907.jpg

20160827_182434.jpg

20160827_182429.jpg

20160827_134238.jpg

Slider on jeep.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
You can get a wool blanket from an army surplus store and wedge it in there. Also, I would recommend disconnecting the battery when welding on a vehicle.

JeepJeep75

Modern gas tanks are very well sealed up. If there's even a slight leak in the tank anywhere the computer will let you know. So, unless there's gas dripping out onto the ground you should be good to go. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I welded my sliders on no problem. Do you plan on beating those sliders up? Reason I ask is you only have one support on each end of your slider. Do you think that's enough to support and catch the jeep from a slight fall off of a rock onto your slider? Nice looking welds BTW! [emoji106]

JKU Arizona

Modern gas tanks are very well sealed up. If there's even a slight leak in the tank anywhere the computer will let you know. So, unless there's gas dripping out onto the ground you should be good to go. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I welded my sliders on no problem. Do you plan on beating those sliders up? Reason I ask is you only have one support on each end of your slider. Do you think that's enough to support and catch the jeep from a slight fall off of a rock onto your slider? Nice looking welds BTW! [emoji106]

There's 3 supports on there now. I didn't realize that there's more space in the back from the frame to the body so i needed to cut them down (the very front one is about roughly 1 1/2" smaller the center one is roughly 3/4" smaller than the very back one. and when i took the pictures i was actually test fitting the center support. I havn't wheeled in any area that I've mad rock contact with the stock rubi sliders. But just want to be prepared as i'm planning on doing a little more aggressive trials here soon.

JeepJeep75

There's 3 supports on there now. I didn't realize that there's more space in the back from the frame to the body so i needed to cut them down (the very front one is about roughly 1 1/2" smaller the center one is roughly 3/4" smaller than the very back one. and when i took the pictures i was actually test fitting the center support. I havn't wheeled in any area that I've mad rock contact with the stock rubi sliders. But just want to be prepared as i'm planning on doing a little more aggressive trials here soon.

Cool man, they look good!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Sliders look good. I would add some gussets for where the tubes meet the feet for a little extra bracing :thumb:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Those look really nice! Better than my welds. I had no problem with the fuel tank. As mentioned, disconnect the battery so you don't fry anything. I used a harbor freight fiberglass blanket and $9 arm sleeves to protect myself.

54B9F635-B530-4C2B-823A-B6F7BC27CC76_zpsjitgvfzg.jpg

USMC Wrangler

Looks great so far and subscribed! These are my next planned DIY fab items too. [emoji106]

I'd agree that welding by the gas tank is safe as long as there are no leaks.

JKU Arizona

Those look really nice! Better than my welds. I had no problem with the fuel tank. As mentioned, disconnect the battery so you don't fry anything. I used a harbor freight fiberglass blanket and $9 arm sleeves to protect myself.

54B9F635-B530-4C2B-823A-B6F7BC27CC76_zpsjitgvfzg.jpg

What did you use the fiberglass blanket for? is that it underneath?

Good call on disconnecting the battery. I wouldn't have thought of that.

JKU Arizona

Looks great so far and subscribed! These are my next planned DIY fab items too. [emoji106]

I'd agree that welding by the gas tank is safe as long as there are no leaks.

I have a CAD drawing i did with dimensions, i'll post it on here a little later today. I have a whole list of items i'm thinking of fabricating. I do engineering work (furniture and cabinets) so i usually draw in CAD before i do any cutting.

Heavyhaul07

Looking good. I wouldn't worry about welding next to the tank. I did mine. You should always disconnect the battery before welding on a vehicle.

JKU Arizona

Damn they look awesome! What kind of welder are you using?

I'm using a miller millermatic 211 welder. It has an auto-set feature that's worked out really great for me (again i'm not a professional welder) all you have to adjust is the thickness of the materiel and you're ready to go.and i used a cheap harbor freight tube notcher attachment for notching out all the tubing. This was my first time welding tube together but overall i think i did good.

Top Bottom