'08 Shifting Horribly

loljk

I've had my wrangler for about two and a half years now, and its manual trans isn't doing too well. It's always had a tendency to occasionally pop out of reverse and it's always had this little catch when shifting into second gear, but now it's just awful. Sometimes at a stoplight, I have to manhandle the thing just to get it into first, it grinds every time on second, and it pops out of reverse every single time I have to drive the damn thing backwards. It's got about 75,000 miles and hasn't been too badly abused (at least while I've owned it). I'm getting the trans fluid replaced this week, does it sound like I'm gonna have to get this thing rebuilt? If so, how much do y'all think it'll cost me?

Trail JK

If it requires a rebuild plan on a lot. $5k ish. It could be a number of things. Do you have anything obstructing the top of the shifter like a Daystar switch panel? I don't think it addresses the grinding but when my manual jeep was popping out of gear in first and second that was the cause. Of course I didn't realize that until after I had the transmission rebuilt and it was still doing it.

loljk

If it requires a rebuild plan on a lot. $5k ish. It could be a number of things. Do you have anything obstructing the top of the shifter like a Daystar switch panel? I don't think it addresses the grinding but when my manual jeep was popping out of gear in first and second that was the cause. Of course I didn't realize that until after I had the transmission rebuilt and it was still doing it.
Damn, 5k? Worst news I've heard today. Nothing's physically in the way of my reverse, I have to let the clutch out a little bit before it even tries to let me into reverse sometimes. Does that sound like a syncro problem? It's strange because the car switches off every couple mins between shifting like and angle and shifting terribly.

Trail JK

Damn, 5k? Worst news I've heard today. Nothing's physically in the way of my reverse, I have to let the clutch out a little bit before it even tries to let me into reverse sometimes. Does that sound like a syncro problem? It's strange because the car switches off every couple mins between shifting like and angle and shifting terribly.

Correction my jeep was popping out of first and third. The popping out of gears can definitely be synchronizer issues. Re-reading other threads people say around $2k I can only tell you what I paid trying to get mine figured out. I had other issues also with a torn boot. But I feel like the dealership took me to the cleaners only to find out I had to remove the daystar panel. It's a pretty common issue with older manual jeeps. Mine was an 07.

Top Bottom