Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Normal" backlash noise?

I think that's a normal mechanical drivetrain noise. I've driven many different year manual JKR rentals in Colorado that all had less than 2000 miles on them. They all made that drivetrain clunk noise whenever I put the clutch in. I think it has to do with the fact that when in 4low the tranny is spinning 4 times faster amplifying any amount of backlash. Perfectly normal in my opinion.

I like what I read ... thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
    My manual makes the same noise when wheeling, as does every other Manual JK I have ever wheeled with. I believe I even heard it on Moby in an old video before it got swapped for the LS and associated trans.
    Carnage Canyon you can hear it IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I hear you Christov ... it's a reflex, but getting better at it.
    christ... you should have seen my face... first when i heard the noise repeatedly like WTF IS GOING ON!!!

and then when i finally said f** it! took about half an hour to get the damnr eflex out of my system though hahahaha felt rediculous and actually had the groupe clap when i finally got it going (felt like an idiot hahah)

was so stoked.... if you wanna try to sooth the nerves or reflex before, just hit a parking lot. throw her into 4low try the first and second, youll have her inching forward without giving any gas. kindof helps the reflex chill the f** out haha at least it did for the wife! On the trail the guide had me put my feet out the door haha(was going doorless so it was easier than trying to get them long legs out the window)

sounds trivial to most jeepers but for me at least, ive driven manual cars my whole life and its second nature to use the clutch like a mad man

In had it on my 2010 jk when after I put an Aussie locker on, the rear. It is drive line slap, the Loading and unloading of the drive line.

Thanks for the comment Rob ... so you didn't notice the noise without the locker? Do you find it worsen with time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12