"Normal" backlash noise?

Mando

Greetings Wayalifers,

In this video you will hear a noise that drives me nuts. Please hear in second 7, 27, 36 and 44. Noticed it the first time when the Jeep was 2 month-old and not wheeled yet (the wife was driving it):grayno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlocwumJCKc

After researched, I have come to the conclusion that this noise is caused by the infamous backlash, and please correct me if I'm wrong. My question to the experts:

1) How much of it is considered "normal"?

2) Can it be reduced by a mechanical fix?

3) Will it get worst until something breaks?

It's a manual 2012 stock. Duratracs 285/70 mounted on original wheels.

Cheers,

Mando.-

WJCO

Meme King
Greetings Wayalifers,

In this video you will hear a noise that drives me nuts. Please hear in second 7, 27, 36 and 44. Noticed it the first time when the Jeep was 2 month-old and not wheeled yet (the wife was driving it):grayno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlocwumJCKc

After researched, I have come to the conclusion that this noise is caused by the infamous backlash, and please correct me if I'm wrong. My question to the experts:

1) How much of it is considered "normal"?

2) Can it be reduced by a mechanical fix?

3) Will it get worst until something breaks?

It's a manual 2012 stock. Duratracs 285/70 mounted on original wheels.

Cheers,

Mando.-

1) Not normal.

2) Not sure if what you're hearing is 'backlash.' Sounds like a bad ujoint or something to me. If it is gear backlash, whatever gearbox is doing it will have to be torn down and diagnosed.

3) Most likely.

If your diffs have excessive backlash, you will need to pull cover, use a dial indicator to measure, and compare with specs. Sounds more like a ujoint or something loose to me, check mounts, crossmembers, etc. You can even remove one drive shaft at a time and then re-test the vehicle and try to duplicate the noise.

Mando

Thanks ... and some more info

Thanks mate!

This happens by slowly easing the clutch out at idle (no gas as shown in the video) and just as the clutch is almost fully engaged, depress the clutch pedal quickly. The Clank...clink clink is more pronounced if on an incline (due to additional charge I guess). If I depress the clutch pedal slowly...no clank, and no clank under normal driving.

Will check all components as suggested.

Best,

Mando.-

christov11

im thinking you gotta let go of that clutch budd...

My first wheel in 10 years I had the bad habit of keeping my foot on the clutch. youre better of choking than to have the clutch worn out after 5000km (no idea how much that is in miles....im canadian....gimme a break)

once i finally got it in my head, there was no more clank ding ding

4low - drive it like you would an automatic. its strong enough that its going to force through your breaking

and of course different trails or obstacles are going to bring different ways to drive but for the pass in the clip, no clutch needed. if you do come to a standstill, be soft on her, dont kick it

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Here is a video of my jeep on the rocks https://youtu.be/TRmIM6iMiwU

I consider that normal "mechanical noise" no problem

What's happening is you are bouncing the gears between load and coast. If you don't like the noise, don't carry any load on the drive train before clutching. Easy peasy

Last edited:

Mando

No more chocking ...

I hear you Christov ... it's a reflex, but getting better at it.

im thinking you gotta let go of that clutch budd...

My first wheel in 10 years I had the bad habit of keeping my foot on the clutch. youre better of choking than to have the clutch worn out after 5000km (no idea how much that is in miles....im canadian....gimme a break)

once i finally got it in my head, there was no more clank ding ding

4low - drive it like you would an automatic. its strong enough that its going to force through your breaking

and of course different trails or obstacles are going to bring different ways to drive but for the pass in the clip, no clutch needed. if you do come to a standstill, be soft on her, dont kick it

Mando

Let the debate begins ...

Here is a video of my jeep on the rocks https://youtu.be/TRmIM6iMiwU

I consider that normal "mechanical noise" no problem

What's happening is you are bouncing the gears between load and coast. If you don't like the noise, don't carry any load on the drive train before clutching. Easy peasy

Hey, that's what I'm talking about Dwiggles ... pretty common and yet not "normal" for WJCO .. and I would love to get to the bottom of it ... before I get stranded in the middle of somewhere.

WJCO

Meme King
Hey, that's what I'm talking about Dwiggles ... pretty common and yet not "normal" for WJCO .. and I would love to get to the bottom of it ... before I get stranded in the middle of somewhere.

Sure didn't sound normal to me. But if Dwiggles has been dealing with it for some time and no issues, that's a good thing.

Mando

Sure didn't sound normal to me. But if Dwiggles has been dealing with it for some time and no issues, that's a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not normal to me ... but wonder what that heck is it?? ... normal or not. And I've had my Jeep since Nov 2011 .. heard it first time January 2012 ... still there, nothing seems to happen.

swampdog

My manual makes the same noise when wheeling, as does every other Manual JK I have ever wheeled with. I believe I even heard it on Moby in an old video before it got swapped for the LS and associated trans.

JeepJeep75

I think that's a normal mechanical drivetrain noise. I've driven many different year manual JKR rentals in Colorado that all had less than 2000 miles on them. They all made that drivetrain clunk noise whenever I put the clutch in. I think it has to do with the fact that when in 4low the tranny is spinning 4 times faster amplifying any amount of backlash. Perfectly normal in my opinion.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
My manual makes the same noise when wheeling, as does every other Manual JK I have ever wheeled with. I believe I even heard it on Moby in an old video before it got swapped for the LS and associated trans.

Carnage Canyon you can hear it IIRC :yup:

christov11

I hear you Christov ... it's a reflex, but getting better at it.

christ... you should have seen my face... first when i heard the noise repeatedly like WTF IS GOING ON!!!

and then when i finally said f** it! took about half an hour to get the damnr eflex out of my system though hahahaha felt rediculous and actually had the groupe clap when i finally got it going (felt like an idiot hahah)

was so stoked.... if you wanna try to sooth the nerves or reflex before, just hit a parking lot. throw her into 4low try the first and second, youll have her inching forward without giving any gas. kindof helps the reflex chill the f** out haha at least it did for the wife! On the trail the guide had me put my feet out the door haha(was going doorless so it was easier than trying to get them long legs out the window)

sounds trivial to most jeepers but for me at least, ive driven manual cars my whole life and its second nature to use the clutch like a mad man

robx251

Caught the Bug
In had it on my 2010 jk when after I put an Aussie locker on, the rear. It is drive line slap, the Loading and unloading of the drive line.

Mando

Thanks for the comment Rob ... so you didn't notice the noise without the locker? Do you find it worsen with time?

Top Bottom