Emma's Skin Rejuvenation Therapy

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At almost 50 years old, Emma, our 1969 C101 Jeepster Commando isn't exactly the youngest Jeep in our stable and her skin does have a few wrinkles in it that shows off her age. Unfortunately, with all the trail runs, videos and maintenance that always needs to be done on all our rigs, it's been a real challenge to find the time to take on projects that I really want to work on and smoothing out a few of these wrinkles have always been something that I've wanted to do. That being said, I've been trying really hard the last few weeks to make the time and slowly but surely, I have been able to start Emma's skin rejuvenation therapy. It isn't much but here are a few shots of what I've been able to do so far.

Here's a shot of the dent she had on her passenger side front fender. Or, what I called a smile line in her cheek.
main.php

Fortunately, it's really easy to remove the fenders on a Jeepster Commando or really, any CJ for that matter and that makes pounding out the dent with a hammer and dolly so much easier. Here's a shot of what the dent looked like after massaging out the wrinkle and sanding everything down with a 36 grit sanding disc.
main.php

main.php

After apply some skin cream, smoothing things out and applying some foundation, I think her cheek is looking more youthful again.
main.php

I did break a mounting stud trying to remove the fender and will have to weld a new one on before I can reinstall things but I thought I'd post up what I've been able to do so far. I still have a bunch of holes that I want to fill in and the rocker panel on the driver side is going to be a real challenge to pull out being that there's no access to it from the back side. But, I hope to post up my progress on here as I address each wrinkle and age spot. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Acupuncture Therapy

Acupuncture Therapy
Well before there were guys with Jeep JK Wranglers who inadvertently allowed their doors to fly open and put a nice dimple in cowl, there were guys who owned C101 Jeepster Commandos who did the exact same thing. Granted, the Commandos did come with built in mechanical door straps but time would take their toll on them and they would break and well, you know the rest. Unfortunately, Emma was no exception to the rule and both sides of her cowl had pretty good dents put into them and unfortunately, getting in from behind to tap them out is near impossible. Needless to say, a little acupuncture therapy was needed to help rid her of her dimples.

The dimple on the passenger side cowl wasn't too bad but was still deep enough that I wanted to have it pulled out.
main.php

On the driver side, it was pretty clear that Emma not only had her cowl hit hard in the past, it had been repaired once before and then hit again or maybe even a few times since.
main.php

Chipping away at the old bondo reveled the original dent was pretty deep.
main.php

Foundation can be good to help hide wrinkles but it should never really be laid on this thick.
main.php

Cleaning up the paint on the passenger side to give me a good clean surface to work with.
main.php

Applying stud welds to the affected area.
main.php

Using a slide hammer to carefully tap the surface back out, the results are looking good.
main.php

After applying a little skin cream, smoothing things out and applying a bit of base makeup, here's what her cowls look like now.
main.php

main.php

Here's a shot of both the repaired fender and cowl on the passenger side.
main.php

I apologize for not documenting more than I have but I hope this helps give a taste of the things I've been working on. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks awesome! [emoji106]

Thanks! It's been a while since I've done body work and was happy with the way it came out :cool:

Are you doing a full paint job when your finished?...if so, what color?

Yes, gonna have her repainted Glacier White or something close which is what she came with from the factory.

Damn, that turned out really good.

Nice work

Thanks! Body work can be frustrating being that it requires so much patients but when it comes out right, it sure does feel good. :yup:

Looks really good.

Thank you :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good so far! I don't know if you've seen these before, Seems like this little doohickey would be good for rockers, or other panels with no real good access. Many years ago I sold auto body paint and supplies, I've never used one but it spot welds a pin to the panel, then use the pin to anchor a slide hammer, when done grind off the pin. Hope this helps.

http://m.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-61433.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

LOL!! Actually, I have one of these and will be using it to help pull out the dent in the rocker panel. It works surprisingly well :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
You are an Eddie of all trades. Nice work so far. Very impressive DIY. [emoji106]

Maybe you should have all your surprise visitors help out with projects? I mean, if they want to visit, they can mow the lawn or help repair a fence. That would then allow you the time to do what you need/want to do on your jeeps. Lol.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Looks good Eddie. I'm impressed. I am a jack of all trades master of none type, but I never have wanted to touch body work. I'm so ocd, I could never appease myself. Lol

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Wow, you can too body work too? That is awesome! I look forward to the updates. :yup:

Top Bottom