Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PR60 vs XD60 for 37's

PR60 vs XD60 for 37's

So I keep going back and forth, PR60 vs XD60 for 37's?

I'm pairing one of these with a PR44 up front and can't decide on the rear. The XD60 is newer, a little beefier, and a 10.1" ring gear. However, it will only be available in 4.88 and 5.38.. Not a huge deal, but I was planning on 5.13.

Now the PR60, been around a long while and I'm sure will hold up just fine with 37's. Little smaller ring gear, less beefy, will hold 5.13's..

Here's the questions:

What gear ratio do you prefer with 37's?

Is the XD60 more than I need running 37's?

The price difference between the two isn't much and neither is the gearing between 4.88 to 5.13. Just curious what others might do.
    Last edited by WJCO; 09-27-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Moved thread from vendor section to tech section

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    So I keep going back and forth, PR60 vs XD60 for 37's?

I'm pairing one of these with a PR44 up front and can't decide on the rear. The XD60 is newer, a little beefier, and a 10.1" ring gear. However, it will only be available in 4.88 and 5.38.. Not a huge deal, but I was planning on 5.13.

Now the PR60, been around a long while and I'm sure will hold up just fine with 37's. Little smaller ring gear, less beefy, will hold 5.13's..

Here's the questions:

What gear ratio do you prefer with 37's?

Is the XD60 more than I need running 37's?

The price difference between the two isn't much and neither is the gearing between 4.88 to 5.13. Just curious what others might do.
    In for info. I want to do a 60 rear aswell and was unaware of the XD60 not being available in 5.13. I'm pretty sold on a full float either way.

Currently running a 5.13 gear in the factory d44 w/ 37" toyo's (manual trans) and love the setup, just like stock rubicon 4.10s and factory tires

The XD60 is more than just a larger ring gear. It has larger diameter 3.75" axle tubing, larger pinion bearing, larger carrier bearings, and a stronger center section housing. I believe it's slightly lighter as well. I have the front XD60. You can check out the XD60 videos from Sema in Dynatrac's YouTube page. Jim@Dynatrac gives the rundown on the differences compared to the ProRock 60.
    2015 Anvil Rubicon Unlimited
    Evo Mfg Double Throwdown suspension w/Evo Lever
    Evo Mfg high clearance long arms
    Evo Mfg PR60 high steer w/PSC hydraulic assist
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle
    Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears
    JE Reel 1350 front/1410 rear driveshafts
    Evo Mfg rocker/corner armor/bumper
    17" ATX Slabs & 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Proud to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001 - 2010. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    The XD60 is more than just a larger ring gear. It has larger diameter 3.75" axle tubing, larger pinion bearing, larger carrier bearings, and a stronger center section housing. I believe it's slightly lighter as well. I have the front XD60. You can check out the XD60 videos from Sema in Dynatrac's YouTube page. Jim@Dynatrac gives the rundown on the differences compared to the ProRock 60.
    I've looked into both of the axles and spoke with Steve at Dynatrac (Very helpful guy). His recommendation was to run the PR60 cause you could get into it cheaper and it would handle 37's just fine. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, and don't want to spend more money than needed so that my bulletproof axle can be more bulletproof. I am not worried about the price difference either as its negligible, but if 5.13's are that much more worth it verse all the extras of the XD60???

Nothing but a Thing NevadaZielmeister's Avatar
    I run the XD60 with 5.38 gearing. I am very happy with the 77:1 crawl ratio(I have an automatic), I am never hunting for a lower gear.

The ground clearance on the XD60 is what gets me. So nice not to get hung up on my rear end all the time.

Another benefit is the rear seal, which is built into the design so you don't have to mess with the RTV stuff.

And finally, you get bigger brakes. This was a money saver since I only had to upgrade the front brakes to the ProGrips on my PR44 Unlimited Extreme front axle assembly.

I am just not worried about breaking my rear axle housing with all of those improvements and have no plans to go to 40 inch tires, so this should be the last axle I buy for this rig.
    RubySky's Build:
    EVO Double Throw Down Front and Rear suspension with bypass system and EVO Lever
    EVO Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade
    Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle with Pro Steer Ball Joints, G2 35 Spline Placer Gold Axles, ProGrip Brakes
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 rear axle, full float with 5.38 gearing
    JE Reel 1350 drive shafts
    EVO Pro-Tek Skid Plate System
    PSC Extreme Duty Cylinder Steering Assist kit
    EVO Rear RockStops with King Air Bumps
    Nitto Trail Grapplers at 37x12.50x17

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister View Post
    I run the XD60 with 5.38 gearing. I am very happy with the 77:1 crawl ratio(I have an automatic), I am never hunting for a lower gear.

The ground clearance on the XD60 is what gets me. So nice not to get hung up on my rear end all the time.

Another benefit is the rear seal, which is built into the design so you don't have to mess with the RTV stuff.

And finally, you get bigger brakes. This was a money saver since I only had to upgrade the front brakes to the ProGrips on my PR44 Unlimited Extreme front axle assembly.

I am just not worried about breaking my rear axle housing with all of those improvements and have no plans to go to 40 inch tires, so this should be the last axle I buy for this rig.
    Thanks for responding, the updated rear seal is a huge convenience. I wasn't aware rear brakes came with the xd60, will need to look into that. How are you doing with 5.38's? I'm concerned that they are to low for 37's

Have you confirmed that the XD60 isnt available in a 5.13 gear? That just seems so odd to me, while I havent called them as I do not have the money quite yet, I checked the website here and it specifically states:
    The Dynatrac ProRock XD60 is designed for 3 3/4-inch outside-diameter axle tubes with either 1/4-inch or 5/16-inch wall thickness. The 1/4-inch-thick axle tubes are 22 percent stronger than a 3 1/8-inch-diameter tube with 5/16-inch wall thickness, and they weigh the same. The 5/16-inch-thick tubes are 12 percent stronger and 18 percent lighter than 3 1/8-inch-diameter tubes with 1/2-inch wall thickness. The Dynatrac ProRock XD60 accepts a full range of differentials, including air lockers, electric lockers and limited slips. Gear ratios are available from 3.54:1 to 5.38:1.

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    Have you confirmed that the XD60 isnt available in a 5.13 gear? That just seems so odd to me, while I havent called them as I do not have the money quite yet, I checked the website here and it specifically states:
    I believe the UD60 isn't available in 5.13, and that may be where the confusion is.

Quote Originally Posted by Granite_head View Post
    I believe the UD60 isn't available in 5.13, and that may be where the confusion is.
    There are a few companies that install 5.13s and ARB lockers, but straight from Spicer/Mopar it's E-lockers with 4.88 or 5.38s.
    2014 JKUR "Stumps"

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    I know, this confused me also because on there website there is nothing to indicate that I could not use 5.13's with the XD60. However both Trail Jeeps and Dynatrac had the same thing to say. I can't argue much with that..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast