Rock Krawler control arm joints

Gravedigger11

So I've had RK control arms about 8 months now and I am going on needing to replace yet another joint. The first one they warrantied for a rear upper control arm. The second is a front lower frame side joint. It seems for the money spent having to replace two joints in under a year is crap. Anybody have similar issues with RK control arms?

epetry

No but I had issues with my full traction rear upper joints and they would not warranty it. I would just put the stock ones back on. That's what i ended up doing.

Ddays

Hooked
I agree. Mines a year old with bout 15k miles. How many is yours? Also are the joints parallel to the arms per the instructions? They're a pain in the ass to get straight..

Jtvegas

Ya I had a rear upper Krawler joint go out in first 6 months and they replaced it. I would say the challenge is getting the proper torque on the jam nuts keeping the Krawler joints vertical with no slant. Other than that I'm happy with the smooth highway ride and it's off road flex.

Gravedigger11

I agree. Mines a year old with bout 15k miles. How many is yours? Also are the joints parallel to the arms per the instructions? They're a pain in the ass to get straight..

Yeah they are straight. The one that just fell apart is the front lower frame side joint

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah they are straight. The one that just fell apart is the front lower frame side joint

When you say 'fell apart' was it literally that? Got any picst?
When these arms go, and since I'll need to replace all 8, I think I'm going to go with Currie arms because of the Johnny Joint.

Grubbicon

Is your exhaust right next to it? I could be wrong but they are rubber there arent they. On my brothers old jeep the heat from exhaust killed them till finally realized it and put a heat shield in.

USMC Wrangler

Is your exhaust right next to it? I could be wrong but they are rubber there arent they. On my brothers old jeep the heat from exhaust killed them till finally realized it and put a heat shield in.

The RK LCA's I have are not rubber joints.

I'm only at 5000 miles or so with mine, so no problems. Hopefully they stay that way but this thread concerns me.

Gravedigger11

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472957334.843665.jpg
This is the most recent one. The exhaust is right above it. As far as the rear one that did the exact same thing it was no where near the exhaust

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I had interference and vibration issues at first with the X-Factor that made me modify it a bit. I haven't had any joints fail yet. I've had the kit installed for 2.5 years and have pushed it fairly had on rocks, through mud, ice/snow and of course mall krawling!

I wonder if they've had some quality issues with the "rubber" they are using now in those joints.

Gravedigger11

I had interference and vibration issues at first with the X-Factor that made me modify it a bit. I haven't had any joints fail yet. I've had the kit installed for 2.5 years and have pushed it fairly had on rocks, through mud, ice/snow and of course mall krawling!

I wonder if they've had some quality issues with the "rubber" they are using now in those joints.

I'm wondering if maybe I got a bad batch joints. There is several people in the jeep club I am in with RK arms who haven't had this issue

I have had this same problem. This has happened to me 3 times all rear uppers. I have a x factor 3.5 it happened twice when I was on 35s and just happened on 37s the first one they sent right out for a replacement. The second time they were supposed to send me another joint but it never got to me and I kinda rebuilt it from pairing it up with the first joint so I didn't make a stink. Today I just had the third fall apart and was able to reseat the fittings with spanner wrenches. I also noticed the lower control arm jam nut was wicked loose so torqued that sucker down tight after inspection. Before I installed every joint I red lock tight everything even the Allen keys. Idk why these keep coming loose. I'm even using the 000 grease. Is it possible to put a Johnny joint into the RK arms if so I might do that.

DMF

Passenger Rear Upper
20180217_212434982_iOS.jpg
The other end Passenger Rear Upper came apart too.
IMG_6055.jpg
Drivers Upper. Unfortunately RK ended up sending me the wrong joint. I emailed them back and they were going to send me the correct part which never came.
I ended up making a tool and putting the joint back together. It's been working good since.
20180113_230434410_iOS.jpg
thumbnail_20180203_181111451_iOSa.jpg

20180102_153821.jpg 20180102_153809.jpg 20180508_103054.jpg

I'ma just ask it but I know what the instructions say. Are y'all rear uppers control oriented so the the v of the control arm is down or up. Anyone know if Johnny joints fit the RK arms?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I'ma just ask it but I know what the instructions say. Are y'all rear uppers control oriented so the the v of the control arm is down or up. Anyone know if Johnny joints fit the RK arms?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JJ's won't fit RK arms - the JJ shanks are much larger. I replaced my old mid arms with a couple Currie LCA's last year (and since moved on to an EVO DD LA kit) and took this pic.
No comparison between the two IMHO

Arms 7.jpg

Top Bottom