CNC Machined Jeep Parts for my '14 JKU

josiahmarton

Aluminum CNC Machined JK Parts

Decided I wanted a new bumper for my Jeep and rather than buying one I thought I could make my own. My dad owns a machine shop and has all the machines and left over material necessary. After a fews days of designing and programing we set it up in our HAAS VF-5 and cut it out. We used 7075 aluminum. This was the finished product. We are planning on making Rock Sliders and a wrap around tire carrier similar to Poison Spyder's or EVO's and after those are made I'll be sending it all out to get powder coated. IMG_8187.jpg IMG_8193.jpg IMG_8212.jpg

Still deciding what type of bar/stinger I want to mount to it and winch. Let me know your suggestions and what you think.

Last edited:

JKRicky

Nice!! Pretty sweet you have access to materials and machines to do this. Looks good.

BTW welcome to Wayalife! You should give us a wave and introduce yourself and your jeep.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Nice looking part! Aluminum is an interesting choice for the material. Light and easy to machine, but I'm not sure how it will hold up to a winch? It looks pretty thick so you should be alright. Are you thinking solid aluminum round for the stinger? Anyway, nice start and give a wave!

Tree Frog

Very cool! Welcome to WAL.

That bumper would be what about 3000 bucks if you built it for someone else?

Cant wait to see what you come up with next.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Original looking bumper. Good work. If you make a carrier, come up with your own design and don't copy EVO or PS.

Ddays

Hooked
Nice work! I would re-think the choice of aluminum for rock sliders though. One hit with the weight of the Jeep will fold those into your body. If you're after a bolt on style and not really worried about that aluminum would be just fine. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your parts.

Ddays

Hooked
Nice looking part! Aluminum is an interesting choice for the material. Light and easy to machine, but I'm not sure how it will hold up to a winch? It looks pretty thick so you should be alright. Are you thinking solid aluminum round for the stinger? Anyway, nice start and give a wave!

EVO does make the 1/4 pounder in aluminum although I'm not sure what material the stinger is. I would imagine that's probably steel to handle the beating?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
EVO does make the 1/4 pounder in aluminum although I'm not sure what material the stinger is. I would imagine that's probably steel to handle the beating?

That I did not know! I like the aluminum, lots of girth and anodizing really holds up to the elements. Not to mention the full on machined look, definitely interested to see the finished product!

I think aluminum for the stinger would be alright, assuming that the proper material thicknesses are used.

Aluminum for the rock sliders, I'll agree that steel would be superior. The aluminum sliders can only be bolted on and the will get shredded on the rocks.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Nice work! I would re-think the choice of aluminum for rock sliders though. One hit with the weight of the Jeep will fold those into your body. If you're after a bolt on style and not really worried about that aluminum would be just fine. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your parts.

It totally depends on what type of aluminum used and at what thickness the material is.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
What made you decide on powder coat vs. let's say, anodizing? Anodizing would have captured the machined look better IMO. Also you could have done touch up with a Sharpie. [emoji6] looks good though!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

josiahmarton

What made you decide on powder coat vs. let's say, anodizing? Anodizing would have captured the machined look better IMO. Also you could have done touch up with a Sharpie. [emoji6] looks good though!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I like the look of powder-coat and wanted the bumper to match other parts that would be made of steel. Also anodize tends to fade a little in the sun compared to the powder-coat.

Last edited:

josiahmarton

It totally depends on what type of aluminum used and at what thickness the material is.

Yeah we used 7075 t751. The bumper is .25 inch around with a big rib in the middle. We had this material laying around and the certifications were lost for it so it couldn't be used on a job. However I think I've reconsidered making the rock sliders out of aluminum. Although I think they would work for the level of off-roading I do it's not worth risking body damage.

Last edited:

josiahmarton

IMG_8550.jpg
Will be getting some 35 inch BFG KO2s along with Method NV wheels at the end of the month. Pumped. This is what it looks like now.

Last edited:

josiahmarton

IMG_8636.JPG IMG_8638.JPG

Wheels came in. I got a killer deal on these Method NVs. Still debating what tire I want but they should be mounted up before the New Year. I also just installed the Poison Spyder Brawler Knockers and will post some pics soon.

josiahmarton

IMG_8639.JPG

Picking up our Christmas Tree. The install on the sliders went pretty well once I got a hang of the nutsert tool. I actually used a cheap harbor freight riveter and made modified it.

Image1480739024.899986.jpg Image1480739061.104593.jpg

Removed the inside clamp jaws and put a threaded rod through and secured it with a nut. Then just threaded on the nutsert and adjusted the rear nut to a spot where you can pull back. I drilled a hole in a piece of steel to use as a surface to push back on the nutsert. It worked perfectly and was only $20!

Top Bottom