Mounting beadlocks, almost done but need help

boardsurfer

I have the tire mounted and the ring is in place and torgued down. The rear bead needs to be set now but there isn't a good enough seal on the back for the air to hold and pop it into place. Im just using my little single ARB.

So before I go buy a can of starter fluid and potentially blow up my garage :D is there a better option? Would a more powerful compressor do the job? Im thinking the starter fluid is my best option right now as scary as that sounds.

Eagle1911

Try putting the wheel onto a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down with the bead that needs to be set on the bottom. I would think the weight of the tire would hold it down enough to set.

You may need a bigger compressor or some way of getting a large initial blast of air into the tire.

Hope that helps.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Just make sure that if you do use the starter fluid method, remove the valve core first. Also, check Cindy and Eddies' video on how to do it right.

Otherwise, a good home compressor is never a waste of money, they are so useful.

Scottyjeep76

Try putting the wheel onto a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down with the bead that needs to be set on the bottom. I would think the weight of the tire would hold it down enough to set.

You may need a bigger compressor or some way of getting a large initial blast of air into the tire.

Hope that helps.

This should work, it's how I mounted mine without any trouble. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473092392.657008.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Did you try using a little soapy water on the tire beads? That could help it get over the hump so to speak.

If that doesn't work by itself you can wrap a ratchet strap around the middle of the tire & tighten it down to help it spread out some.

Last edited:

Grubbicon

If you have help what I do is soak the back of the tire and stand the tire up and push the wheel in the tire while someone puts air in it. Done many of wheels this way and works great.

Last edited:

boardsurfer

You know what, you are right. He said not to use this method with beadlocks, my bad. Here is the link, post #6 :http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39288-VIDEO-BREAKING-a-TIRE-BEAD-amp-RESEATING-it-with-FIRE!

While I'm not doubting Eddie, he said that it WONT work, not that it shouldnt be done. I am guessing he meant setting a bead on the side with the ring as that would not work for obvious reasons.

I went ahead and set the first tire with the starter fluid. Amazingly easy. I will bust out the gopro for the second one. :thumb:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
While I'm not doubting Eddie, he said that it WONT work, not that it shouldnt be done. I am guessing he meant setting a bead on the side with the ring as that would not work for obvious reasons.

I went ahead and set the first tire with the starter fluid. Amazingly easy. I will bust out the gopro for the second one. :thumb:

Awesome, I am glad you got it to work. Yes, would love to see the video.

boardsurfer

If you have help what I do is soak the back of the tire and stand the tire up and push the wheel in the tire while someone puts air in it. Done many of wheels this way and works great.

Thanks Grubbicon.

The second tire did not work for some reason so I will not be posting video of my epic flaming failure. :D

The first one popped on the first try but this one doesnt like me I guess. I am going to try soapy water and a little pressure.

boardsurfer

Buy a clip on tire chuck, that frees up your hands to push the rim in. That is what I did and it worked well for me.

Chuck With Lock-on Lever

My ARB hose clips on - hands free.

Alright, here's the verdict. Second attempt didnt work and as I'm not one to mess with explosions I went with the wheel on a bucket, soaped the rear bead and applied pressure while the compressor delivered air. That worked perfectly. And frankly I was expecting it to need a lot more air pressure before it seated. The compressor was on for less than a minute before it popped on. I think I'll go that route for the rest of them. :thumb:

If I get one that doesnt respond to the soapy approach, I'll try flaming death again but as of now, no videos coming. I didnt film the first one that worked (of course) because I was trying to concentrate on not burning down the garage.

Thank you all.

swampdog

My ARB hose clips on - hands free.

Alright, here's the verdict. Second attempt didnt work and as I'm not one to mess with explosions I went with the wheel on a bucket, soaped the rear bead and applied pressure while the compressor delivered air. That worked perfectly. And frankly I was expecting it to need a lot more air pressure before it seated. The compressor was on for less than a minute before it popped on. I think I'll go that route for the rest of them. :thumb:

If I get one that doesnt respond to the soapy approach, I'll try flaming death again but as of now, no videos coming. I didnt film the first one that worked (of course) because I was trying to concentrate on not burning down the garage.

Thank you all.

Yup, mounted my Method Beadlocks on a 5 gal bucket with soapy water and an ARB twin no problem. Sorry I was late on this one.

MattMc

Did you have them balanced?

I mounted my own 37" Trail Grapplers using this method. I never had mine balanced, and they feel fine. I didn't bother looking for a place to balance them, but imagined that I would have trouble finding a place to do them, considering the size and most places seem like they don't want to work on bead lock wheels.

swampdog

Did you have them balanced?

No, but I have a vibration from 40-50mph on the front so I will likely get them balanced at some point. They are 35" BFG K02s and I plan on swapping them in about 6 months, but I think leaving them unbalanced will kill my ball joints / unit bearings.

Top Bottom