What's in your Jeep tool kit?

JeepFan

Hooked
Today I started a new project... Making sure I have everything I need tool wise to work on the Jeep.

My goal is to figure out what I need to add to my ever growing collection of hand tools.

Funny thing is this pic doesn't show my nut and bolt collection or the miscellaneous spare parts I carry.

1473093037863.jpg

So let's see what you got! Suggestions for essential tools welcome!!!

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Subscribed as I am sure this will be an epic thread, one where a lot of people will learn from someone who is VERY knowledgable. In just my short 3 days with JeepFan a few weeks ago on the Rubicon Trail, I learned a lot. Thank you JeepFan!!!

WJCO

Meme King
Great thread! I might just have to get all my tools out too and see what I got and what I need. Time for a reorganize anyways. Something i don't see in your pic that I carry and have used many times is a portable jumper box. I charge it every 3-6 months or so. We have one in each vehicle.

Journeyman

Man I am way behind on this! I don't carry near this amount of tools. I have been thinking about beefing my jeep tools lately though. I consider one of my favorite tools to be common sense! We are out by ourselves frequently so I use that tool a ton!
OP what's sheet metal scissors for?

JeepFan

Hooked
Man I am way behind on this! I don't carry near this amount of tools. I have been thinking about beefing my jeep tools lately though. I consider one of my favorite tools to be common sense! We are out by ourselves frequently so I use that tool a ton!
OP what's sheet metal scissors for?

I agree, common sense is one of the most important tools for anyone who ventures off the beaten path.

I've had those tin snips for 30 plus years and used them almost every day when i was a mechanic. They come in handy for cutting hoses, wire, cardboard templates, gasket material and, occasionally sheet metal. ;)

JeepFan

Hooked
Wrench inventory! Looks like I'm missing some of the larger sizes above 20mm and 11/4".

Might be some overkill here as well.

1473095928590.jpg

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Here is my toolkit all packed up. I learned from JeepFan the need for fluids and stole his idea on the box:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473096245.950166.jpg

I would recommend an axe, which I have used quite a bit. Not sure if that was included in this thread yet or in any pictures.

JeepFan

Hooked
Here is my toolkit all packed up. I learned from JeepFan the need for fluids and stole his idea on the box:

View attachment 221331

I would recommend an axe, which I have used quite a bit. Not sure if that was included in this thread yet or in any pictures.

Looks like a nice kit you have there! :thumbup:

Going through the 1/4" drive metric, torx, allen and other sockets. May have to thin the herd. Many of these don't fit the Jeep anyway. Why carry the extra weight?

1473097167756.jpg

Trail JK

Drool...

Awesome kit you have there my friend! [emoji106]. Thanks for posting this gives us something to work towards.

This is awesome!! I carry way too much stuff!! After shrinking my stuff to run the Rubicon with you guys, and then seeing what some had, I've wanted to dive in and evaluate my gear again. I want to get rid of tools that won't fit or I may have too many. I want to re evaluate my liquids bag again too. I've even second thought my "Sharky shelf" and thought about one like yours. I've since gone back to my "sharkey shelf" and bag idea. Subscribed!!!

JeepFan

Hooked
Drool...

Awesome kit you have there my friend! [emoji106]. Thanks for posting this gives us something to work towards.

Thanks!! Honestly I think I carry too many unneeded tools. I need to put my kit on a diet so I have more room for essentials like Vodka and Tonic water. Lol

JeepFan

Hooked
This is awesome!! I carry way too much stuff!! After shrinking my stuff to run the Rubicon with you guys, and then seeing what some had, I've wanted to dive in and evaluate my gear again. I want to get rid of tools that won't fit or I may have too many. I want to re evaluate my liquids bag again too. I've even second thought my "Sharky shelf" and thought about one like yours. I've since gone back to my "sharkey shelf" and bag idea. Subscribed!!!

That's awesome. I'm hoping this thread sparks some ideas of what and how to carry tools and fluids in our rigs.

Would love to see some pics if your Sharkey shelf.

JeepFan

Hooked
Looks like I'm covered for 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets extensions and ratchets. These standard and metric sizes pretty much cover my Jeep drive line and suspension. I was able to eliminate about 10 lbs of sockets by removing duplicates.

1473099616319.jpg

Trail JK

Thanks!! Honestly I think I carry too many unneeded tools. I need to put my kit on a diet so I have more room for essentials like Vodka and Tonic water. Lol

Lol! I can't argue that, YOU should never run out of vodka and tonic water! Best vodka tonics EVER!!! Yummy!

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
All of mine goes in either the ARB Drawer, the orange ARB recovery bag or in the glove box shock tuning kit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473099947.644697.jpg

Glove box tools (winch controller goes in center console)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473099992.415497.jpg

Recovery bag gear.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100035.119197.jpg

ARB main drawer.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100062.999572.jpg

2x Mastercraft bags with small spare parts.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100106.793531.jpg

Some of the hand tools.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100170.037125.jpg

Milwaukee 18v tools.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100209.823620.jpg

ARB Drawer has two side compartments meant to open up from rear but it doesn't work well in practice. Instead I drop the back seats to access from the front. Mastercraft canvas bags fit vertically in the space.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100321.570547.jpg

In each side tunnel fits a gallon of coolant and a Mastercraft bag with 6 quarts standing vertically nicely.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100394.233867.jpg

And all together.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473100410.241962.jpg

Top Bottom