BLAST from the PAST : ROKTOBERFEST 2009 - The Project-JK Event that Started it All

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oktoberfest is a fun filled event that traditionally starts in the third weekend in September and ends on the first Sunday of October. It was originally started as a celebration of the Crown Prince Ludwig, marriage to Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen back in October 12, 1810. At the time, the citizens of Munich were invited to attend the festivities and not only has the tradition continued ever since, it's also celebrated around the world. Being that we're at that time of year again, Cindy and I got thinking about an event we had come up with many moons ago and started thinking that maybe it was about time to breath new life into it, once again.

Way back in 2009, Cindy and I were out having dinner with our good friends Jeff and Megan over at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, CA and if you can believe it, we were there to try "sour beer" for the very first time... on purpose! As nasty as the beer was to us back then, I think it may have caused the epiphany I had that ultimately gave birth to the idea of having a small party out in the middle of the desert where we would do a little wheeling by day and have a few beers over a campfire by night. And, being that we were already talking about attending some of the local Oktoberfest celebrations coming our way, we thought that maybe we could kill two birds with one stone, or rock and call this party, ROKTOBERFEST! Of course, little did I know at the time that the idea would catch on and grow to the epic proportions that it did. Anyway, below are some pics from the inaugural, 2009 Project-JK Roktoberfest - an epic event that we just might have to bring back to life again. I hope you enjoy.

FRIDAY
mmcurrdy, his wife Maria, wildandwillin and MBATF got out to Cougar Buttes on Thursday night, secured a spot for us and by Friday morning, had The Trashed Pumpkin Saloon setup and ready to start serving up the brew....
main.php

main.php

Being so close to Halloween, Maria adorned the bar with a couple of beautifully carved pumpkins that actually looked great in the dark and lit up....
main.php

wildandwillin and MBATF teasing the cameras with frightening things to come....
main.php

Maria cooking up some stew while MBATF steels a bite....
main.php

MBATF jumpstarting the gasoline doused pile of wood with a blowtorch....
main.php

With more and more people showing up, the bar was open and Friday night's party got started. Here's a final shot that I took before we headed back for home to pick up our son from school....
main.php

Scroll down to see more pics from the run we did up Bullfrog Trail Saturday morning or, click on the link below to see all 613 photos that we took from Roktoberfest!!
Roktoberfest 2009 Photo Gallery

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
SATURDAY - Roktoberfest Bullfrog Trail Run
Here are a few shots that I took of camp at the crack of dawn....
main.php

main.php

main.php

As you can see, a few drinks were had the night before....
main.php

CAUTION, very hung over wildandwillin inside....
main.php

Fortunately, a resupply of Honey was brought in....
main.php

Furry visitor that came by to say good morning....
main.php

As 10am approached, our camp started to fill up with more and more JK's..
main.php

main.php

Our convoy of JK's leaving camp and heading over to Chicken Rock....
main.php

Here's a few shots of people climbing their way up....
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

It was nice to see that the Bullfrog Trail now has official markers....
main.php

Here are a few shots dropping down into the Bullfrog trail....
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Making our way through the trail....
main.php

main.php

main.php

Taking a moment to scope out the next obstacle....
main.php

A few shots of JK's making their way up....
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

beep jeep right at the moment he blew out the bead on his passenger side front tire...
main.php

main.php

Fortunately, we had the tools to get his tire re-seated and he was back on his way in no time at all....
main.php

While a few of us were working on the tire, others used the opportunity to get out, snack and hangout with friends....
main.php

On the move again, here are a couple shots of JK's making their way down a tippy situation....
main.php

main.php

main.php

Unfortuantely, my son had to take off with Trail Bud to get more memory for his camera back at camp and it was near impossible for me to take photographs and spot people down at the same time so, these were the only shots that I was able to take here.

By the time we got everyone through the last obstacle and my son was back to help out, we had found that a few people up front decided to keep pushing forward and ultimately lead everyone down the wrong way. Instead of making a turn to begin the loop, they continued straight and made their way down the end of it. Needless to say, we didn't get to do Jeep Eater or any of the other hard sections on the backside of the trail. But, we did get to do some of the obstacles in reverse which was fun and we were able to get off the trail early so, it all worked out. Anyway, here are a few shots on our way out....
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
SATURDAY - Roktoberfest!!
Off the trail and back at camp....
main.php

With the winds kicking up, the tents over The Trashed Pumpkin Saloon had to be pulled down but they weren't gonna stop us from keeping up the lights....
main.php

A couple shots of the spectacular sunset we had that evening....
main.php

main.php

It's party time and a few of us came dressed for the occasion!!
main.php

main.php

fish cooking up some brats and kraut - YUM!!
main.php

The Trashed Pumpkin Saloon is lit up and in more ways than one...
main.php

main.php

Did I mention we had a few beers? This is just one of 5 tubs we had filled up, 3 with bottles and 2 with kegs...
main.php

PROST!!
main.php

main.php

Did I mention we had a TON of food?
main.php

Turns out that it was Moochie's birthday and so in celebration, we made him wear an Oktoberfest hat and wished him a very happy one!!
main.php

Ein Prosit!!
main.php

Here comes trouble....
main.php

Chads JK helping out the NorCal with their ritual collection of underwear....
main.php

Let the ritual burning begin!!
main.php

main.php

The morning after - Cleaning up and getting ready to head on home...
main.php

main.php

Amazingly, there were still a few bottles that had booze in them....
main.php

I'd like to thank everyone who joined us out at Cougar Buttes for the very first Roktoberfest!! Truly, without you, this would have just been another wheeling/camping trip as opposed to the epic party in the desert that it was. A special BIG THANKS goes out to the NorCal Crew (mmcurrdy, Maria, MBATF and wildandwillin) for setting up the tents, lights and of course, The Trashed Pumpkin Saloon. Without a doubt, it was because of your efforts that this party became the stuff of legend. :thumb:

Journeyman

Looks like a great time!
Beachwood Bbq is amazing. Man I remember it took me three visits to finally get some of their sour beer because it was so popular that the kegs would always be dry when I got there.

Moochie

Where I first met my pal Ramin … and the rest is history!

I remember the twinkle in your eyes when you spotted Ray from across the bar. Brushing aside the honey whores, to sneak up to his side. Love at first sight!!

Top Bottom