07-16 Detroit "soft locker" question

crowrb29

So I had previously been told and seen various threads about Detroits, and other auto lockers not working in 12+ JKs due to traction control issues. However, I recently heard that they had redesigned certain things and the new Detroit lockers could work in 12+ JKs. Just wondering if it's true or if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!!!

crowrb29

So I've been doing some research and everything I've read says that the "limp mode" issues only happen in auto trans JKs that are 12+. I have a six speed so I should be in the clear right??

croge17

I daily drove a Detroit in the rear for over a year in a 12+ auto and limp mode will happen occasionally. I wouldnt put any locker in the rear without going to 35 spline shafts at the same time. I went to an arb after breaking a few rear axle shafts. Do it right the first time and dont do it twice.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I daily drove a Detroit in the rear for over a year in a 12+ auto and limp mode will happen occasionally. I wouldnt put any locker in the rear without going to 35 spline shafts at the same time. I went to an arb after breaking a few rear axle shafts. Do it right the first time and dont do it twice.

I don't know how you pulled it off, I installed a detroit on my 2014 and couldn't make it two lights before I got stuck in limp mode. Had to pull a sensor to run it until the selectable to replace it arrived and the shop could swap it...

Also, I run a locker on my rear with 30 splines, 35 is a great thing to have, but I don't think the 30 spline are as weak as your post makes them out to be...

metalic

I don't know how you pulled it off, I installed a detroit on my 2014 and couldn't make it two lights before I got stuck in limp mode. Had to pull a sensor to run it until the selectable to replace it arrived and the shop could swap it...

Also, I run a locker on my rear with 30 splines, 35 is a great thing to have, but I don't think the 30 spline are as weak as your post makes them out to be...

As for the 30 spline comment. I have a post on here that will make you want 35 spline. I have a pic of 1 broken factory, 1 broken Ten Factory and 6 Ten Factory that are twisted and who knows what the ones in the jeep look like.

croge17

The detroit or any automatic locker will cause major issues if any aspect of your alignment is off, your tire size isnt programmed, your gear ratio isnt programmed, your thrust angle is off. It can be made to work but you have to drive so that is never locks on a low speed corner. If it does lock on the low speed corners you will instantly go limpmode.

Like I said not worth it for most.

Top Bottom