EVO Bolt-on Coilovers question

Just installed evo bolt on coilovers on my JKU yesterday. Well not me, but a very reputable shop in Houston. The rear springs, with enough left/right sway, are catching on the inner sleeves and 'pop' making a clunking noise occasionally. Just checking in here to see if that is the 'norm', or if they need to be tuned at all? I have heard coilovers are noisy and I'm totally fine with that...it's more of a peace of mind that the set up is correct. Plenty of coilovers here on the forum, so hoping I can get some feedback. Thanks!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Can you get some pics of the rears? Sounds like maybe your timing rings are not setup properly.

Ddays

Hooked
Really looking forward to hearing your impressions of those vs std coils? Especially the on-road differences. This is the last real big thing I'm contemplating (HA!) but the on-road handling has me hesitating.

Can you get some pics of the rears? Sounds like maybe your timing rings are not setup properly.

Yep, I'll post up some pics later today for sure. Thanks!

Really looking forward to hearing your impressions of those vs std coils? Especially the on-road differences. This is the last real big thing I'm contemplating (HA!) but the on-road handling has me hesitating.

Yea for sure. So far, the on-road first impression is that it's a little more harsh than the standard spring set up I had from RK. But definitely not harsh enough to make me regret the decision going coilovers. AND we all know how badass flexing they are :rock:

Ddays

Hooked
Yea for sure. So far, the on-road first impression is that it's a little more harsh than the standard spring set up I had from RK. But definitely not harsh enough to make me regret the decision going coilovers. AND we all know how badass flexing they are :rock:

So how is handling in curves compared to std coils. lean more or less?

Yeah, off-road no comments needed! :thumb:

Set the preload properly THEN adjust your timing rings. They should sit no higher than 3/4" above the slider

Okay. So the 0.5" preload is the space determined between the two nut rings? And assuming the preload should be set to the 0.5" on the front AND rear?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Okay. So the 0.5" preload is the space determined between the two nut rings? And assuming the preload should be set to the 0.5" on the front AND rear?

Yes the preload (aka ride height) is set by the top ring. To set it you need to have the axle at full droop. I have mine set up so that I have a .5" up front and 1" in the rear to help with when I'm loaded up.

Yes the preload (aka ride height) is set by the top ring. To set it you need to have the axle at full droop. I have mine set up so that I have a .5" up front and 1" in the rear to help with when I'm loaded up.

This ^^^^^

At full droop, with no preload, you can pull the spring retainers out by hand.

Okay, so for a heavy 4-door, I should be looking to set mine at 1" of preload on both front and rear and go from there you think?

Buster3479

Hinrichs, Cozdude, and Ddays, What's the plan for winter? I really want to put the bolt-on kit on about 5 hours south of you guys, but am afraid of it rusting out after the first winter? Is it an unfounded fear? Thanks

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I will go take a pic of my setup and post it so you can see, not a "heavy" 4 door but i am also running the heavier top springs out back.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473433966.268800.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473433979.503815.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom