Rust treatment recommendations

Joshman3280

Hi, I have a 1992 xj that has a little rust issues that I want to nip before the weather turns. Most of the suspension is rusted but I don't care about that since I will be replacing all that with a new kit next spring. Now I have some surface rust and penetrated rust along rear lower quarter panels and obviously the floor pan area, I read about Eastwood brand rust converter, it seems to be the best I was wondering if anyone had used it or had suggestions thank you!

kyle521

Hi, I have a 1992 xj that has a little rust issues that I want to nip before the weather turns. Most of the suspension is rusted but I don't care about that since I will be replacing all that with a new kit next spring. Now I have some surface rust and penetrated rust along rear lower quarter panels and obviously the floor pan area, I read about Eastwood brand rust converter, it seems to be the best I was wondering if anyone had used it or had suggestions thank you!

Ive used mutiple spray paints on my frame that never lasted more than one winter up in the northeast. This summer I put on some Chassis saver and it seems like some good stuff, but only time will tell.

Ive heard of people using POR 15 as well but have not seen it in person.

Bigjimbo

After seeing Eastwood in use at PA Jeeps this year, I personally would go that route. I've used loctite's rust inhibitor -which I think is just naval jelly- but as Kyle mentioned I'm rattle canning every year.

I've heard great results with POR15, but if I'm not mistaken, it's a lot of prep work and you'll have to topcoat it as it won't hold up to UV.

Joshman3280

Thank you very much for the input, I have had good experience with por15 on a classic Chevy I was working on, how ever I think I will try a shot of that Eastwood product and if I like it I will keep using it. Does that evapo rust product convert rust? Or just protect?

132JKPNW

Used motor oil. Or, not sure with previous rust, but I use chemical guys bare bones. It's an oil based undercarriage cleaner/ protector. Smells good looks pretty and no rust yet! I get about a month or two between coats before I reapply

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Joking about pouring in the frame. Title made me think of an old thread. I've heard good things about bare bones though.

Big Bad Wolf

1- Remove as much rust scale as possible using wire wheels etc.

2 - Use POR-15 Metal prep to neutralize the rust

3 - Use POR-15 Marine Clean

4 - Paint on POR-15 (a couple coats) or Chassis Saver

5 - Put on your favorite Bedliner, 2 coats ( I used the POR-15 Brand)

6 - Use Formula 3000 on top to prevent any future corrosion. (Canadian Millitary uses it).

For inside the chassis or hard to reach areas use Eastwood Internal frame coating with the 2ft hose. Coat the inside with Formula 3000.

You are set, just make sure to follow instructions and wear a respirator and gloves etc.

Check out my JK chassis. The body inside and out will be the same.
20160821_155545.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
1- Remove as much rust scale as possible using wire wheels etc.

2 - Use POR-15 Metal prep to neutralize the rust

3 - Use POR-15 Marine Clean

4 - Paint on POR-15 (a couple coats) or Chassis Saver

5 - Put on your favorite Bedliner, 2 coats ( I used the POR-15 Brand)

6 - Use Formula 3000 on top to prevent any future corrosion. (Canadian Millitary uses it).

For inside the chassis or hard to reach areas use Eastwood Internal frame coating with the 2ft hose. Coat the inside with Formula 3000.

You are set, just make sure to follow instructions and wear a respirator and gloves etc.

Check out my JK chassis. The body inside and out will be the same.
View attachment 221964

Awesome job! I wish I had the time to go to this level.

Tree Frog

Big Bad Wolf that frame came out great. :thumb:

This man is our expert on rust.

Dear God I hope I never have to go through all that.

Big Bad Wolf

Thanks guys!

I have learned so many lessons. The key is to prevent rust in the first place. You do NOT want to have to do this, it was a lot of work.

Anyone have experience with bedliners ? Tree Frog, you mentioned one ? Was is Monster liner ?

I used EZ Liner but it cracked and flaked so I can't recommend it. I painted my old bumpers with Dupli-Color Bed Armour, with Kevlar. It seems tough with a very rugged texture. I will note the texture from this product may not satisfy everyone as it's extra chunky.

POR-15 Bedliner was nice to work with as it's very thick and leaves a nice finish.

I attached a photo of products I used to restore my two bumpers. Just ignore the dialectric grease as that was for the electrical. 20160906_180231.jpg

relicdigger

I'm giving Krown a try and I am on my third year of spraying. Things still look great underneath my Jeep no rust yet, even going through upper NY winters. Time will tell how well it works. They say it will stop rust from increasing if rust is already there (on older vehicles).

Top Bottom