TN and West NC (Charlotte) End of October

Stotch

Caught the Bug
We are going to make the drive out to Charlotte the last week of October through the first week of November (we will be in Charlotte visiting family Oct 29-30). We are probably going to try to hit Windrock outside of Knoxville, drive around the Smoky Mountains/Hurricane Creek, and some of Pisgah and/or Nantahala National Forest. It's possible we would go all the way to Uwharrie, but not sure if it's worth the extra drive (We're already close to 2k miles round trip). We will be camping most of the time and we like more secluded areas. Think primitive camping NOT RV camping! Usually we go backpacking, but seeing as my wife will be a few months pregnant, we are planning on taking it easy; day hikes and Jeep camping.

Anyone from these areas have suggestions? Places we should ride? Camp? Must-see stuff? Or even join us on a trail or two?

Here's a few more places we are considering:
Linville Gorge/ Linville Falls / Pisgah National Forest
Roan Mountain State Park
Frozen Head (central TN)
Foster Falls/ South Cumberland Park (south TN)
Savage Gulf (2 mile trail to camping)
Greeter Falls
Fiery Gizzard
Fall Creek Falls
Virgin Falls
Big South Fork
Land Between the lakes
Great Smokey Mountains National Park
Cades Cove (Smoky Mountains)
Big Creek Camp (NC Smoky Mts)

Other Hikes to waterfalls:
Cummins Falls (1-1.5 m hike each way but rugged)
Laurel Falls (Smoky Mts 2.5 Miles Round Trip)

dchotrod

I'm in Asheville & could possibly give you a few insights for this area. So many camp sites available & so much to see/do/eat! Let me know if specific questions.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I'm in Asheville & could possibly give you a few insights for this area. So many camp sites available & so much to see/do/eat! Let me know if specific questions.

What's your favorite place to drive/camp in the Asheville area?

jljohnson464

There's a scenic state trail not too far from Windrock called Royal Blue. Also it's a bit out of your way but Black Mountain OHV in Harlan KY is outstanding. Between Asheville NC and Uwharrie is a small trail system called Brown Mountain that has nice camping and some decent views.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
There's a scenic state trail not too far from Windrock called Royal Blue. Also it's a bit out of your way but Black Mountain OHV in Harlan KY is outstanding. Between Asheville NC and Uwharrie is a small trail system called Brown Mountain that has nice camping and some decent views.

Good to know! Thanks!!

That Brown Mountain looks promising.

Last edited:

croge17

We are going to make the drive out to Charlotte the last week of October through the first week of November (we will be in Charlotte visiting family Oct 29-30). We are probably going to try to hit Windrock outside of Knoxville, drive around the Smoky Mountains/Hurricane Creek, and some of Pisgah and/or Nantahala National Forest. It's possible we would go all the way to Uwharrie, but not sure if it's worth the extra drive (We're already close to 2k miles round trip). We will be camping most of the time and we like more secluded areas. Think primitive camping NOT RV camping! Usually we go backpacking, but seeing as my wife will be a few months pregnant, we are planning on taking it easy; day hikes and Jeep camping.

Anyone from these areas have suggestions? Places we should ride? Camp? Must-see stuff? Or even join us on a trail or two?

Here's a few more places we are considering:
Roan Mountain State Park
Frozen Head (central TN)
Foster Falls/ South Cumberland Park (south TN)
Savage Gulf (2 mile trail to camping)
Greeter Falls
Fiery Gizzard
Fall Creek Falls
Virgin Falls
Big South Fork
Land Between the lakes
Great Smokey Mountains National Park
Cades Cove (Smoky Mountains)
Big Creek Camp (NC Smoky Mts)

Other Hikes to waterfalls:
Cummins Falls (1-1.5 m hike each way but rugged)
Laurel Falls (Smoky Mts 2.5 Miles Round Trip)

Hit me up if you want some off the beaten path places in this area. old 105 to wiseman's view then drive 105 the rest of the way down to morganton and over to Brown mountain. Putt up the trail at brown mountain, then run over to Black Mountain campground at the base of mount mitchell. Run up to mount michel via gravel roads from black mountain campground hike to the top and at least hike the scenic loop hiking trail up there.

That should cover a day and a half and take you past 4 or 5 good waterfalls including setrock falls. Hit me up if you would like to have some details in the area.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Hit me up if you want some off the beaten path places in this area. old 105 to wiseman's view then drive 105 the rest of the way down to morganton and over to Brown mountain. Putt up the trail at brown mountain, then run over to Black Mountain campground at the base of mount mitchell. Run up to mount michel via gravel roads from black mountain campground hike to the top and at least hike the scenic loop hiking trail up there.

That should cover a day and a half and take you past 4 or 5 good waterfalls including setrock falls. Hit me up if you would like to have some details in the area.

Great info thanks!!

atomicdog

I will be going to the Gatlinburg area the end of October. One of the trails I’d like to do is the Hurricane Creek trail and take that trail from I40 to Max Patch. Does anyone know how long this might take? I’ve read some threads before but none really talk about driving time from 40 to Max Patch.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I will be going to the Gatlinburg area the end of October. One of the trails I’d like to do is the Hurricane Creek trail and take that trail from I40 to Max Patch. Does anyone know how long this might take? I’ve read some threads before but none really talk about driving time from 40 to Max Patch.

We did that when we went. I think it took about 2.5-3 hours total. Pretty easy trail, but not good signage. It was really pretty there in the fall.

JohnnyBanks

There's a trail behind the wilderness in pigeon forge a co worker and I recently found it was a lot of fun....don't have an address but if you go straight past the wilderness when you're coming into sevier youll see the dirt path it leads into

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom