ham radio license studying

g00se04

Who all has their technician license and what did you use to study for it?
My area doesnt have any classes coming up for a couple of months.

Frydaddy

I have been using hamtestonline dot com. They are on line questions whit the answers. They are the same questions you get on the test.

Wow, $25 for a 20 question test thats only $15 itself.
I have to say the test isn't that hard anymore since they pulled the morse requirement (among other things).
The whole question pool is public too. http://www.arrl.org/Tech-Question-Pool

Sorry to knock you Aspenkid, but I recommend saving your money to study on the harder tests. General and Extra are exponentially harder in my opinion.

Wow, $25 for a 20 question test thats only $15 itself.
I have to say the test isn't that hard anymore since they pulled the morse requirement (among other things).
The whole question pool is public too. http://www.arrl.org/Tech-Question-Pool

Sorry to knock you Aspenkid, but I recommend saving your money to study on the harder tests. General and Extra are exponentially harder in my opinion.

Not knocking at all.... and I didn't say I was studying for general....

Frydaddy

The technician license let's you transmit on a handful of bands and at certain powers. Most casual users will go their whole life at this level. General and Extra let's you transmit on more bands and higher power levels. Each license only requires one test that's 20 multiple choice questions.

Look up any local ham club website for test dates. When I went, they were all chipper and were happy to see new faces. One person took all three tests that morning, a rare sight, he made it to the General level.

You are free to listen on any frequency. There is a chart laying out the transmit limits for all licenses on the ARRL site somewhere.

Edit: and renewal is once every ten years for only a few bucks.

whispike

The technician license let's you transmit on a handful of bands and at certain powers. Most casual users will go their whole life at this level. General and Extra let's you transmit on more bands and higher power levels. Each license only requires one test that's 20 multiple choice questions.

Look up any local ham club website for test dates. When I went, they were all chipper and were happy to see new faces. One person took all three tests that morning, a rare sight, he made it to the General level.

You are free to listen on any frequency. There is a chart laying out the transmit limits for all licenses on the ARRL site somewhere.

Edit: and renewal is once every ten years for only a few bucks.

Cool, thanks for the info!

g00se04

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to start studying and find a testing location in my area.

Kinda off topic how many people bring handheld radios on the trail?

Frydaddy

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to start studying and find a testing location in my area.

Kinda off topic how many people bring handheld radios on the trail?

I have a Kenwood TM-281A, loaded with all the repeaters in the Phoenix valley.
I also have a TYT TH-UVF9 handheld in the back, But 2 meter has not gotten popular in the offroad community.
There is a 4X4Ham dot com community, but I don't see much activity.

I guess, I'll have to fold and install my Cobra 75WXST for all the plebeian CB types, heh.

Tomb1957

I have CB and dual band radios permanently mounted in the Jeep and also keep FRS and a couple of dual band HTs (handhelds) in my go bag for loaners and while away from the mobile.

scblock

I have CB and dual band radios permanently mounted in the Jeep and also keep FRS and a couple of dual band HTs (handhelds) in my go bag for loaners and while away from the mobile.

Do you see much use on 70 cm? I'm debating a 2 m only radio vs dual band for my Jeep.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I've had a technician license since 2009. Just very inactive and slow in getting a radio put in the new Jeep. Below is a link to a site where you can download a free app and have sample tests on your phone or tablet so that you can practice taking the test. The good think is that you can go back and select sample tests for general and extra if you decide to get a test past technician. I was studying for my general but got lazy. I got my HAM license some time after Katrina and the last big fire we had here in San Diego.

http://www.delasystems.ws/HamRadioExam/HamRadioExam

Last edited:

Bosunmate

I always bring along a hand-held ham radio when wheeling just in case of an emergency, or if by chance another wheeler is a ham and has a radio. Unfortunately, I do not know any fellow wheelers who are also amature radio operators. I did install a CB for trail communications.

Top Bottom