Prescott Az Trails anybody?

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Hey everyone, Im out with the family in Prescott Valley Az for the next 7 days. I was wondering if anybody wants to get together in the area to run some trails. I posted in my another thread from my last trip, figured it was better to start a new one. Anybody run Desoto Mine trail? How is it? I really would like to run it. Anyways PM if interested

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Possibly doing a run on a trail called payette draw this Saturday. Couple hours from Prescott valley but a good trail nonetheless

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I live in PV and am home for about another week. We could go do Smiley Rock or something if you'd like. It's a little over grown this time of year so some minor pin striping from the brush is expected. There's also all the trails over in Sedona, but if you go on a weekend, or any day around sunset, they are very crowded with tour Jeeps. There's also Smasher Canyon, Mingus Mountain Trail, and Desoto Mine. I haven't been on those three and am unfamiliar with them.

What is the trail rating on broken arrow?

Don't know trail ratings off the top of my head, but Broken Arrow, along with all the other popular trails in Sedona, can be done in a stock JK Sport. Sliders are the only thing I'd recommend.

Last edited:

Jtvegas

Broken Arrow is rated like a 6 if you do the Devils staircase but you can bypass it and then the trail is like 2-3 but takes the fun out of it ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473904026.489477.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473903532.642777.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473903532.642777.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 93
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473903562.413150.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473903562.413150.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473903674.830227.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473903674.830227.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Fires JK

What is the trail rating on broken arrow?
Most of the trails around Sedona would be a piece of cake for you. Going up the staircase would be more of a challenge but you would have to watch out for the pink Jeeps coming down. There is a v notch at the top that you can go up and will give you a little pucker factor. Great for the scenery. The other trails are rated a little too high. Schnebly Hill is loose but I've seen Mercedes SUV's trying to do it. Nice scenery. Flagstaff offers the cinders which is cool but you need someone with you to guide and is really like loose sand and will suck you in but you can go up and look down into a volcanic crater or even drive down into it a little bit of a challenge to get out. There are other trails near Sedona that are more difficult but you would be ok on any of these with your setup.

Fires JK

Possibly doing a run on a trail called payette draw this Saturday. Couple hours from Prescott valley but a good trail nonetheless
Great trail did it in my stock JK the first time but the trail gets harder every year. Done it 3 times and wanted to do it before I moved but didn't get it in.

Fires JK

Hey everyone, Im out with the family in Prescott Valley Az for the next 7 days. I was wondering if anybody wants to get together in the area to run some trails. I posted in my another thread from my last trip, figured it was better to start a new one. Anybody run Desoto Mine trail? How is it? I really would like to run it. Anyways PM if interested

Never ran Desoto but I understand it is a great trail and has some spots to get your pucker factor going.
Since your that close you should run Crown King everybody loves this trail and comes out above the Desoto Mine trail. You also have the turkey creek trail

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Did a recent trail in Jerome , AZ and was scenic but had more fun in Sedona doing broken arrow

I ran smiley rock near Jerome, it was pretty fun. Definitely good scenery.

I live in PV and am home for about another week. We could go do Smiley Rock or something if you'd like. It's a little over grown this time of year so some minor pin striping from the brush is expected. There's also all the trails over in Sedona, but if you go on a weekend, or any day around sunset, they are very crowded with tour Jeeps. There's also Smasher Canyon, Mingus Mountain Trail, and Desoto Mine. I haven't been on those three and am unfamiliar with them.

Im staying with a friend in PV. I would do smiley rock again or go to Sedona. Unless you want to venture a new trail, which I dont mind doing with another person. Im free almost every day im here.

Never ran Desoto but I understand it is a great trail and has some spots to get your pucker factor going.
Since your that close you should run Crown King everybody loves this trail and comes out above the Desoto Mine trail. You also have the turkey creek trail

I thought about doing Crown King. it looks like a fun Trail.

bthomas

Smiley Rock outside of Jerome is pretty fun and some decent rocks can be found in the canyon to play on. Senator Highway from Prescott into Crown King is fun for the scenery, its a few hours long, it's a fairly well maintained forest road that will lead you most of the way into very small old town in the Bradshaw Mountains called Crown King. Higher in elevation and cooler temps than Prescott. The saloon is from the late 1800's and was moved around the turn of the century from its original location in Bradshaw City to its current location and rebuilt. Very cool place to grab some lunch and a cold drink. Down the hill towards Phoenix is Turkey Creek, that's another fun trail, not super challenging, but fun none the less. I haven't run Desoto yet. If you want to come down a ways further there's a bunch of trails in Table Mesa that range from sorta easy to close to retarded. Sedona is fun, but ridiculously busy on the weekends. Very touristy, and LOTS of Prius owners. You could hit a few trails in Sedona, go up Schebly Hill road for some great views of Sedona as you come up the rim, the continue on east to I17 to head back into Prescott. It's about an hour from Sedona to I17 going that way, but you'll see some pretty nice forest along the way.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Smiley Rock outside of Jerome is pretty fun and some decent rocks can be found in the canyon to play on. Senator Highway from Prescott into Crown King is fun for the scenery, its a few hours long, it's a fairly well maintained forest road that will lead you most of the way into very small old town in the Bradshaw Mountains called Crown King. Higher in elevation and cooler temps than Prescott. The saloon is from the late 1800's and was moved around the turn of the century from its original location in Bradshaw City to its current location and rebuilt. Very cool place to grab some lunch and a cold drink. Down the hill towards Phoenix is Turkey Creek, that's another fun trail, not super challenging, but fun none the less. I haven't run Desoto yet. If you want to come down a ways further there's a bunch of trails in Table Mesa that range from sorta easy to close to retarded. Sedona is fun, but ridiculously busy on the weekends. Very touristy, and LOTS of Prius owners. You could hit a few trails in Sedona, go up Schebly Hill road for some great views of Sedona as you come up the rim, the continue on east to I17 to head back into Prescott. It's about an hour from Sedona to I17 going that way, but you'll see some pretty nice forest along the way.

I ran Big Bug Mesa today and took the back way to Mt. Union and came out onto Old Senator Highway. Not to hard but very scenic. I was thinking about taking it to Crown King and or I believe it goes to Desoto Mine. I will most likely do Smiley rock again. I ran that trail last May. How far is Table Mesa? I dont mind traveling

Fires JK

I ran Big Bug Mesa today and took the back way to Mt. Union and came out onto Old Senator Highway. Not to hard but very scenic. I was thinking about taking it to Crown King and or I believe it goes to Desoto Mine. I will most likely do Smiley rock again. I ran that trail last May. How far is Table Mesa? I dont mind traveling

Table Mesa is close to Phoenix.

bthomas

Probably an hour or so south (ish) of PV, it's accessed from I17. Our summer is finally starting to wind down, so that area should have some other rigs running on the weekend, but probably not crowded.

BLM info and area maps here:
http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/dev_camps/table-mesa.html
A few of the trails are also listed in the Wells Arizona trail book.

Edit: Crapshoot and Raw Deal are supposed to be a few of the easier ones, a local club used to do beginner class on those two until event permits got silly.
I've personally only ran Upper Terminator on 35's with a locker, but others also made it on open/open but struggled in a few spots. The best I remember, most of the harder obstacles had bypasses. Be cautious if going solo. It's a long walk out and cell service is spotty. I'd join you this weekend if I could, but I can't.

If you go, stop by Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City for a ridiculously good bourbon cheese burger and the best pecan pie I've ever had. It's right off the 17.

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Probably an hour or so south (ish) of PV, it's accessed from I17. Our summer is finally starting to wind down, so that area should have some other rigs running on the weekend, but probably not crowded.

BLM info and area maps here:
http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/dev_camps/table-mesa.html
A few of the trails are also listed in the Wells Arizona trail book.

Edit: Crapshoot and Raw Deal are supposed to be a few of the easier ones, a local club used to do beginner class on those two until event permits got silly.
I've personally only ran Upper Terminator on 35's with a locker, but others also made it on open/open but struggled in a few spots. The best I remember, most of the harder obstacles had bypasses. Be cautious if going solo. It's a long walk out and cell service is spotty. I'd join you this weekend if I could, but I can't.

If you go, stop by Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City for a ridiculously good bourbon cheese burger and the best pecan pie I've ever had. It's right off the 17.

Thanks for the info.

Randy Tadevich

A few of you mentioned doing smiley rock again. I would like to run it again myself. There are a couple areas I bypassed last time and is on my "to accomplish" list. If anyone is running that I would like to join. Agree with others, crown king is a great trail, but can make for a long day, plan accordingly. Pyeatts Draw in Payson is one of my favorites.

Top Bottom