Selecting a Mig welder.

Big Bad Wolf

I was wondering if anyone could point out some examples of popular Mig welder models
used in shops to weld brackets/cages etc.

Thanks.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Most SHOPS around here run Miller's. If you are looking to pick something up, I would go for a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. And definately over 180 amps if you want to do anything structural (220 volt). :thumb:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Miller for professional/ Hobart or Lincoln for home use. (Hobart is Miller with a few less bells and whistles) As said above, stick with a 220v. I have never met someone with a 110 that didn't wish they had more power at one time or another.

Big Bad Wolf

I have 220V ready to go. Miller does seem very popular.

I'm looking at the "Millermatic 211". I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link. What do you guys think of the specs ? Or save up for 212 which is like 600$ more ? I was hoping to be completely set up for under 1500$usd.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug

I'm looking at the "Millermatic 211". I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link. What do you guys think of the specs ? Or save up for 212 which is like 600$ more ? I was hoping to be completely set up for under 1500$usd.

I own the Miller 211 and am very happy with it. I have used it on many of my build projects, including my bumper. You would not be disappointed.

Sinsitizen

Every body shop I've ever worked in had either or both Lincoln and Miller. I prefer Lincoln the feed is much smoother.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've a Lincoln Redimig 205 that i've had for nearly 10 years and it been great so far. Only time i had an issue was when the gas line perished. Only real drawback is its a pain in the ass with light sheet metal

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Can't go wrong with a Miller. The one thing I have heard about the Millermatic is that the "auto adjust feature" will be close, but you will get better results if you set the heat and feed manually. I kinda think of it as a crutch for beginners that will make you not fully understand what machine is doing. I don't see much benefit to having the 212 aside from being able to run big spools, and you have 5' more reach on your stinger. The 211 can run .024 wire (without buying additional rollers) which makes body work much nicer if you ever get into that.

GR8WHITE

I've been using a miller 212 for the past couple years and it had been pretty flawless. I have built a Toyota crawler with it and I am now building my jk buggy with it.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Question for you experienced welders...if I don't have access to a 220v outlet (apartment garage) is it still worth it to get a lower voltage welder ?

WJCO

Meme King
Question for you experienced welders...if I don't have access to a 220v outlet (apartment garage) is it still worth it to get a lower voltage welder ?

Yes. You can get a 110 welder that can do close to.250 steel. And it's makes it more portable if you have take it somewhere. I run one with flux core wire and don't have to use a gas tank. For small projects or Jeep work, it's perfect.

Big Bad Wolf

Can't go wrong with a Miller. The one thing I have heard about the Millermatic is that the "auto adjust feature" will be close, but you will get better results if you set the heat and feed manually. I kinda think of it as a crutch for beginners that will make you not fully understand what machine is doing. I don't see much benefit to having the 212 aside from being able to run big spools, and you have 5' more reach on your stinger. The 211 can run .024 wire (without buying additional rollers) which makes body work much nicer if you ever get into that.

I was wondering about the "auto" feature. It sounds like using a DSLR camera, "auto" works but you will never truly know the camera and will not get great results in many situations.

Miller it is!

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

with multiple passes you can weld thicker material with a 110v unit. another trick is to use CO2 instead of argon mix gas. the CO2 helps get better penetration from the same heat, but it does change the puddle so your finish beads wont look as clean. also a lot cheaper to refill the CO2. so basically if all you have access to is 110 then get a 110 unit, or the miller that the OP was referring to. The Millermatic 211 is a dual voltage. When you get a place that has 220v you are already set. :2thumbsup:

Big Bad Wolf

I will take a look!

Did everyone learn them selves ? I see there is a ton of videos online that can teach you. Anyone have any favorites ? I unfortunately don't have a welder that can show me. I did basic welding in Automotive school but that was basic.

I guess tube bending and metal cutting is a whole other subject. I feel like I'm opening a can of worms haha.. I want to build a cage etc but there is a lot to learn and unless im wrong the equipment is pricy.

Top Bottom