What to buy Im so lost

WaffenRFD

I hope this goes in this section but its time to buy a Jeep again and I am having the hardest time deciding what I want. Do I want a two door or a four door, is the rubicon really worth the price tag. I don't plan on doing any crazy rock crawling but would like the ability to overcome obstacles I may face on the the trail. Most likely will only run 35's maybe 37's if I get into it. I had a two door rubi and loved it but I think long term wise a 4 door will be better. Anyone wish they had 4 door instead of a two or vise versa? What am I going to miss if I dont get a rubicon? Im leaning towards a 4 door sahara is the transfer case and dana 30 going to be ok for me? Just some input would be greatly appreciated Im going crazy trying to decide :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If I did it over I would get a 4 door rubi. If money permits it get that. The 44 will be a lot stronger and the 4:1 tcase will be better as well. I have a 2 door now and although it is fine and gets me where I need to be a 4 door give you that much extra room.

WaffenRFD

If I did it over I would get a 4 door rubi. If money permits it get that. The 44 will be a lot stronger and the 4:1 tcase will be better as well. I have a 2 door now and although it is fine and gets me where I need to be a 4 door give you that much extra room.

Thats what I am afraid of I can afford the 2 door rubi at 30k 4 door at 40k not so much. What exactly will the 4:1 tcase help me with?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ill chime in as well. It all depends on what too plan on doing with it. Is it your DD? Plan on any family trips? Camping? What kind if wheeling will you do?

Personally my JK is my "pleasure" vehicle. Not my DD usually. But now that it is my Wayalife, I do wish I went with a 4door Rubi. This is why:

For what I do it would be easier to get my family in and out of a 4 door.

I enjoy camping and it's difficult to take the family AND the gear in a 2door space is really limited.

I already have a Front 44 axle and a Rubicon transfer case in my build sheet. If I would have gone with a Rubi in the first place I would have saved money here.

No lockers on any rigs other than the Rubi. If you plan on doing any serious wheeling these are nice to have. Your looking at over $2,000 at least to add lockers (installed) if you choose to do this.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope this helps. Again, this is my opinion and if it was me, I'd go with a JKUR if you could afford it.

WaffenRFD

Ill chime in as well. It all depends on what too plan on doing with it. Is it your DD? Plan on any family trips? Camping? What kind if wheeling will you do?

Personally my JK is my "pleasure" vehicle. Not my DD usually. But now that it is my Wayalife, I do wish I went with a 4door Rubi. This is why:

For what I do it would be easier to get my family in and out of a 4 door.

I enjoy camping and it's difficult to take the family AND the gear in a 2door space is really limited.

I already have a Front 44 axle and a Rubicon transfer case in my build sheet. If I would have gone with a Rubi in the first place I would have saved money here.

No lockers on any rigs other than the Rubi. If you plan on doing any serious wheeling these are nice to have. Your looking at over $2,000 at least to add lockers (installed) if you choose to do this.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope this helps. Again, this is my opinion and if it was me, I'd go with a JKUR if you could afford it.

Thanks for the input! I love to camp and fish and I have to say having a fishing pole in a two door was a pain its going to be my DD I have a bike for days I want to ride but for the most part I would drive the jeep everyday I would love the JKUR its just a tad out of my price range I could make it work but its one of those things if its worth it

Prime8

I recently traded in my '10 jku for a '13 JKUR, and I must say, totally worth it thus far. The beefier front axle, the t-case, the lockers, and all the interior creature comforts. If the price of the '13 JKUR is out of reach, but the Sahara is not, see if you can find a gently used '12 Rubi at a good price. I bought the Mountain Edition (basically a sport) the first time and regretted not getting a Rubi.

bl17z90

Noone has mentioned that the Rubicon also comes with 4.10 gears as opposed to the 3.73 that the sport comes with. if you plan on going 35's the 4.10's will be better than the 3.73's.

The Rubicon also has that neat E sway bar disconnect. Which to me is pretty damn worth it but I'm not sure how well it holds up with heavy use so someone who has it who uses it a lot should probably chime in.

Basically off the showroom floor the Rubicon is pretty trail capable.

I also wish I had bought a 4 door, because the extra space and longer wheel base would both be nice.

The biggest issue is see with the 4 door is figuring out what to do with all of those doors when you take them off :bleh:

So yeah to answer your question, I wish I had bought a JKUR

Tranquillity

Well your purpose seems to need a Sahara but the tire size you want to put under I'd get a Rubi just for that front D44 and better gearing. If you'd stick with 35 you'd be fine with a Sahara, but 37 is a little too much for that D30 unless you can manage a budget for that "just in case" bad luck.

If space commodity doesn't matter at all get a 2 doors, but, speaking for myself, you never have enough space... So a 4 doors I'd say :yup:

JeepJK4832

As soon as I can I'm going for a 4 door JKUR. The 4.10 gears would be a lot better than the 3.21s that I have on my 2007 X. Plus the extra room would be great! I don't do a lot of offloading yet due to a lack of trails around me, but I want the capability of a Rubicon for when I do.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I went with a rubi and couldnt be any happier, i love the t case expecially for crawling, makes it so much easier, also i wanted the stronger front axles and gearing as well. Plus the edisco is just so convienent on the trail, i can be ready in a lot less time than most guys. I went with a 2 door however and I feel like a 4 would have been a better choice, but i have no family and dont camp or anything plus the back seat is usually out.

DanMojo82

I have a 2 door and want a 4 door. I would never trade in my 2 door for it though. As soon as the JK is paid off i'm getting a JKU. And it won't be a Rubicon. If you're only going to be doing casual trail rides, I would save the money and go with a sport. With a 3 inch lift and 35's (37's are really ideal with a 4 door because of the longer wheel base) you'd be able to get over a lot of what you would be hitting on the trail. If you were going to be doing rocks, I'd say get the Rubi and go straight to 37's as soon as you can. Now what you could do, is wait till the 2014's are about to come out, and try and get the best deal possible on a 4 door Rubi. You never know what they might come down to as dealers try to get them off of the lot.

Tackerdown

Banned
I just went through all the dilemmas you did . I determined ,
1 I need more room there for 4 door was a must ( daily driver)
2 didn't have a lot of money so I went with a 1 year old for 20 some 1000 miles on it .
3 don't have money to upgrade front and rear end ,so the Rubicons was a must just for right out the gates use. lockers for 410 Exedra .
4 now I can put larger tires on ,a lift on and be able to do what I can do in the area I live in.
I think the most I would have to do is maybe increase the gears if I went with 37's . hope this helps .

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

Someone mentioned the Sahara. Isn't the Sahara more of a luxurious version of the wrangler? Does it have any mechanical advantages over the sport? I know it has 18 inch wheels which to me would be more annoying than anything since the larger rims cost a bit more for tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Someone mentioned the Sahara. Isn't the Sahara more of a luxurious version of the wrangler? Does it have any mechanical advantages over the sport? I know it has 18 inch wheels which to me would be more annoying than anything since the larger rims cost a bit more for tires.

No. A Sahara is a Sport with Rubicon interior, color matched fenders and a few other cosmetic differences.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hope this goes in this section but its time to buy a Jeep again and I am having the hardest time deciding what I want. Do I want a two door or a four door, is the rubicon really worth the price tag. I don't plan on doing any crazy rock crawling but would like the ability to overcome obstacles I may face on the the trail. Most likely will only run 35's maybe 37's if I get into it. I had a two door rubi and loved it but I think long term wise a 4 door will be better. Anyone wish they had 4 door instead of a two or vise versa? What am I going to miss if I dont get a rubicon? Im leaning towards a 4 door sahara is the transfer case and dana 30 going to be ok for me? Just some input would be greatly appreciated Im going crazy trying to decide :crazyeyes:

Even if I didn't have a family and a dog, I would still get a 4-door just for the added room and comfort of driving a longer wheel base vehicle.

Newer Rubicons come with the option of getting 4.10 gears but come standard with 3.73's. You don't need to rock crawl to see the benefits of a 4:1 transfer case which will help you to overcome obstacles with greater ease. Having an e-disco and lockers will help make overcoming obstacles that much easier as well. Of course, the interior and creature comfort options on a Rubicon are much nicer than a Sport too. Of course, the resale value on a Rubicon will be higher as well.

If you can afford it, I personally would recommend a 4-door Rubicon and, this is coming from a guy who's owned a 2-door Sahara and a 4-door Sport.

WaffenRFD

Thanks for all the input it really helps put things I haven't thought of in perspective :thumb: My other thought is to just order one has anyone gone this route? Im guessing there are a ton of fees and can not really work a deal but a bone stock Rubi with the upgraded gears is a lot more cost effective then all the Rubis on the lots now with all the upgrades that I don't really care for

Tackerdown

Banned
I gave up on new just because I couldn't get what i wanted for what payment I wanted no matter what I tried to do. I guess it comes down to the green back. That does't mean that they don't make better deals where you live. I drove 4 hrs. and saved 3,000 dollars in Delaware.

Top Bottom