Making your Jeep Secure

So after spending upwards to $4K on tires and rims, it came to my attention that maybe leaving these five tires on the jeep on a street with out any way to keep them on besides a few basic lugnuts. So my question is, do any of you have locking lugnuts? if so what kind? and do you guys put them on all five tires or just the spare? Also I'm assuming that I only need one per rim.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Locking lug nuts are really pretty easy to take off without the lock tool. Having worked in a garage for 5 years there's a very easy way to get them off it's easily to do on the street to I would just go with the insurance and make sure you get your wheels and tires covered on the insurance policy

Big Bad Wolf

I vote Remmington 870. :thumb:

There are a couple companies that make the locking nuts. At one time I had the stock Mopar ones, until the locking adapter tool broke and I got mad and cut the lock nuts off.

Insurance would be best I think.

If you go with locking lug nuts . I wouldn't get the Mcguard ones with the weird looking tool mcguard-locking-wheel-bolts-1_3531[1].jpg ( IMO.. they suck/ had the tool break very easily. then its a pain to remove.) .. I went with rugged ridge ( the spline type, and came in black). 16715-21_1[1].jpg

Last edited:

RUBICONGER

I use the splined nuts...never had a wheel jacked. Plan B is Insurance! I suppose a would be thief could readily have several types of splined or standard tools on hand for jacking, so having one over the other doesn't necessarily make me immune to theft...but if it slows a guy down long enough for me to get the gun loaded, that would be nice!

MrJ3sser

I use the splined nuts...never had a wheel jacked. Plan B is Insurance! I suppose a would be thief could readily have several types of splined or standard tools on hand for jacking, so having one over the other doesn't necessarily make me immune to theft...but if it slows a guy down long enough for me to get the gun loaded, that would be nice!

There's your problem right there! Always keep your gun loaded and chambered. ;)

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

I had "locking" ones on e pick up years ago, i guess the guys used gator grips and got the wheels right off.

You can get special sockets that cut into the lug nut and will take anything off

Top Bottom