2014 Grand Cherokee

JethroJK

So looks like the new model is getting a diesel option and new transmission. Wonder if that engine will be available in the next model of the JK? Would you want a diesel?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, just read about this on AllPar...

2014 Grand Cherokee leaked
2014-jeep-grand-cherokee.jpg

It seems like yesterday that the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was launched to critical acclaim. Grand Cherokee was refreshed in 2013 — and then more seriously refitted for the 2014 model year.

The basic look of the luxury-Jeep was unchanged, but serious functional upgrades lie under the moderately-tweaked skin. Buyers now get a state of the art transmission that provides faster acceleration and better mileage; a diesel brings higher torque and economy; underbody protection has been enhanced; and many other updates were made to improve both on-road and off-road performance.

overland-interior.jpg

The eight-speed automatic comes in two forms, ZF’s 8HP70 and Chrysler’s 845RE version of the same automatic; the latter is only used on the V6. Eventually, all engines will use Chrysler-built automatics.

The eight-speed has a wide range of gears, aiding both acceleration and economy, with the ability to skip multiple gears at once, and fast gear changes and torque converter lockups. The transmission is the main reason why gas mileage rose for 2014, by 1-3 mpg, depending on configuration, and why V6 towing capacity rose 24%, to 6,200 lb.

The main benefit will likely be performance; many buyers who thought they needed a Hemi may change their minds after trying the six, with the eight-speed now standard.

See full article here:
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-grand-cherokee.html

2014-grand-cherokee-limited.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
So looks like the new model is getting a diesel option and new transmission. Wonder if that engine will be available in the next model of the JK? Would you want a diesel?

I wonder if it would increase the towing capacity? That is one of the things keeping us from dumping the Navigator in favor of another JKUR.

DanMojo82

I like the room of the Grand Cherokee, it's awesome. Ever since I got rid of my supercrew f150 this has been my go to vehicle for having people with me. I can fold down the rear seats and put my 60 lbs and 80 lbs dogs in the back with plenty of room, and they don't have to struggle to get in the wrangler. Plus the fit and finish to me is what you would expect from a vehicle. The only reason I want to get rid of it is that it's an SRT8 and I don't really like paying for premium gas. Add in all the updates to the new one and the diesel engine, and I would happily hand over the keys to my current GC for it, I just won't get out of it what I still owe on it. It sucks.

13JKUR

I wonder if it would increase the towing capacity? That is one of the things keeping us from dumping the Navigator in favor of another JKUR.

It said in the article 7400lbs towing which is pretty respectable but still the same as the 5.7 grand

DanMojo82

It's 7,400 like he said above with the v6 at 6,200 lbs.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I only caught the end of the Jeep showing, so I know that the SRT8 capacity is up to 7,500 (or 7,400) lbs. So I would only assume that the diesel would be the same if not a little higher than that one.

Right. But that's the GC not the wrangler.

13JKUR

I think the wranglers tow capacity is more limited to the vehicle size and not the engine. If I were to guess it will be the same as it is now (3500) with the diesel.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I think the wranglers tow capacity is more limited to the vehicle size and not the engine. If I were to guess it will be the same as it is now (3500) with the diesel.

Unless you live in Europe where it increases by a thousand or two. :crazyeyes:

DanMojo82

I wonder how well this is going to sell. I was reading up on then engine and saw that Fiat owns 50% of VM Motori and GM owns the other 50%. I also read about how there were rumors of it going into Ram 1500's. Hopefully with the amount the Fiat owns will keep the cost down on our end, and with the engine in more vehicles production would expand as well hopefully driving cost down further. What I wonder is what changes would need to be made to make the Wrangler pass safety regulations? Will the things that kept a Hemi from going into a Wrangler also keep the diesel from going in? :thinking:

Markymark420

Praying for a diesel Wrangler. I've wanted one for as long as I can even remember.

Adam

According to the sales manager at my local dealer :naw: (I know, not the most reputable source):

*The diesel option in the wrangler will have a $5k price tag (that's not too bad as a 3/4 ton truck from the big 3 charge an additional $10k)
*The 8speed auto will also be introduced within the next 2 years to the wrangler line-up

Then again, take that for what it's worth

Top Bottom