Help with a little YJ that I came across.

leftyonly

I came across this 1995 YJ on a little independent lot.

I think it's cool, and want to call inquire about it.

So, can Wayalifers help me understand the good, the bad, and the ugly of a YJ?

Some background, I recently purchased a 2016 JKU WW and have joined Wayalife. I have mostly lurked at this point...

None of that is relevant to the interest in the little YJ, other than that is what brought me here.

Here is the YJ:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474420790.380283.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474420806.350700.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474420815.731892.jpg

The intent of having the YJ would be mostly utility and something my 21YO son can play tinker with. If it is reliable enough, he would probably drive it daily, if it turns into a problem child, then it will probably go to the lake camp for utility use. If it turns out to be a junker then so be it...

All that being said, I'm wondering things like:

Does a 200k mile stock looking YJ fit as a reliable beater that my kid could drive to/from work (30-50 miles daily)? We would generally have alternate transportation available if it is broke down occasionally.

What common concerns would I be looking out for when inspecting it?

I think it is a 2.5L, 5-speed. It looks like it has AC(?). Generally it looks to be near stock (not lifted, etc..). The body is quite nice.

VIN is : 1J4FY19P3SPxxxxxx

Thanks for looking, any help would be appreciated!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I loved my '95 YJ. Easy to work on and old enough that it didn't matter if I scratched it. Mine was also a 2.5L, 5 speed with 4.10 gears. I daily drove mine for a year on 33s and 35s. I never drove above 60 mph but it drove great. I averaged 13.5-15 mpg with the lift and tires. Great first wrangler. Wider than a CJ but still has a simple leaf spring suspension. Solid jeep. If you're looking into wheeling it then we can dive into more details about drivetrain. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474425260.064418.jpg

leftyonly

Cool, thanks for chiming in. Nice looking rig!

It would not start out with the intent of building it or wheeling it. Of course I not delusional enough to exclude it turning into that at some point. Initially it would be a bit of a toy/beater for my son.

I may stop by and check it out tomorrow and see what they're asking for it.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Can you post a couple pictures of the engine compartment...from the front, looking downward from each side and from underneath if possible. That will help members to let you know what you have and potential mods that may have been done to the engine. With 200k you may have aftermarket components (alternator, ignition wires, cool, battery, etc.) some of which could be good or bad upgrades/replacement parts.

I'm assuming it just had a new windshield installed due to the painters tape that is visible in the picture.

I would also look at the frame (especially the wheel wells and rear corners) to see if you have any rust. If you see rusted areas poke it with a Phillips head screw driver to see if it's surface rust or if that area of metal is completely compromised. If it is it completely compromised it may not matter too much if it is not in a structural component.

Take a look around the brake calipers and master cylinder to ensure there are no brake fluid leaks. Take a look at the rotors to see if they are scored or cracked.

I also like to look at the wiring to see if someone has spliced into to wire other add-on components.

Finally I like to try and wiggles the tie rod, control and pitman arms to see if the bushings are worn out. If you can forcefully wiggle them, the bushings are completely shot.

Just a few thoughts.
-Matt

leftyonly

Awesome Matt! Just the kind of ideas I need to hear. The place was closed when I was there, so I did not open the hood or spend any time other than getting the pics I posted. I'm stop by tomorrow and I will get some of the pics you mentioned. I'll also crawl around under it and check for rusted out areas and any the other things that don't appear right. The tape also lead me to believe the windshield was replaced.

I found it listed on the guys FB page and it indicates that it is only 110k (200k was a WAG based on the age 🤔).

I have no idea what he's asking either...

-Richard

leftyonly

Ouch... I gave him a call before going over there and he's asking $6000...

Not in my budget for a toy. I was in the $3k range budgetwise so even with some negotiation, this one would not get there.

I appreciate you guys looking and for the advice.

-Richard

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not in my budget for a toy. I was in the $3k range budgetwise so even with some negotiation, this one would not get there.

-Richard

Holy cow, $6k for that???? The guy is high. Best to walk away from this one for sure.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

-Richard

Holy cow, $6k for that???? The guy is high. Best to walk away from this one for sure.

2.5 should be cheap. It better come with a BJ from his wife for 6k

Hell around me that is about the going price. Least that's peoples asking price. I see them all the time with a small lift and 33s and called a "rock crawler" and they are asking $8k-$10k. People are stupid.

Top Bottom