Teraflex Full Float Hubs

whytiptoe

So I've just seen they have released 8 lug locking hub conversion for the front with big brake kit. As well they have released 8 lug full float rear.

Again not a proponent of teraflex, but I don't know
Anyone else who makes this. If dynatrac would do it I would for sure snatch these up.

Journeyman

I discovered these surfing the net a while back. Seems like a good idea I guess if your ok with dumping 4-5k in parts for full float 8 lug axles, but then still being on Dana 44 axle/ring and pinion. Kind of seems like a waste to me.
This meme comes to mind. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474434748.947827.jpg

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I don't see the point as you're only beefing up the hub transferring the load off the bearing to the C's. Like others have said its still a 44

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I don't see the point as you're only beefing up the hub transferring the load off the bearing to the C's. Like others have said its still a 44

The point is, they'll make a video, people on other forums will tell other people how great it is, and Terabreak will make a shit ton of money. When I first got a Jeep, I thought Teraflex was the best thing going. They had cool videos, and people on other forums will say any old stuff they buy is great, because people don't like to admit to making mistakes.

qwasin

You aren't putting any additional load on the Cs. What this does us eliminate the unit bearing as a weak point on these axles. Some people don't like old school hubs and spindles but I do, I would much rather have something I can service instead of just waiting for unit bearings to break and replacing them.

What this doesn't do us allow you to run a super 60 shaft like the pr44/60 hybrid does. Teraflex includes a 35 spline stub, but you're still stuck with the 1350 u joints because the knuckle is too small.

I think if you're in the market for big brakes and are already on your 2nd or 3rd set of unit bearings, this might be worth looking into.

And looking at the parts list this seems like a pretty basic hub and spindle assembly using common and proven parts. Teraflex just machined the spindle to bolt to the knuckle and accept the speed sensor.

Last edited:

qwasin

Now the rear FF kit on the other hand is kind of a joke. First I would worry about pressing the spindle in 100% true. Second, the spindles are held in by plug welds. Third, they are only 30 spline shafts. And at $1800, plus $1500 for gears and a locker, plus labor if you don't do it yourself, you could have had a mopar ultimate 60 for the same price.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn't want to run it just cause its teraflex. I really want Dynatrac to come out with a locking hub conversion tho for the pr44

jkwebbie

Sounds good and everything, but I'll just stick to my Superduty axles I'm building. Still coming out cheaper than doing all that lol

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You aren't putting any additional load on the Cs. What this does us eliminate the unit bearing as a weak point on these axles. Some people don't like old school hubs and spindles but I do, I would much rather have something I can service instead of just waiting for unit bearings to break and replacing them.

What this doesn't do us allow you to run a super 60 shaft like the pr44/60 hybrid does. Teraflex includes a 35 spline stub, but you're still stuck with the 1350 u joints because the knuckle is too small.

I think if you're in the market for big brakes and are already on your 2nd or 3rd set of unit bearings, this might be worth looking into.

And looking at the parts list this seems like a pretty basic hub and spindle assembly using common and proven parts. Teraflex just machined the spindle to bolt to the knuckle and accept the speed sensor.

What I meant was it transfers the load that was being absorbed by deflection in the bearing during a shock load to the C's because now you have a much more rigid bearing. Classic breaking the weakest link setup.

The other problem is you now have a specific stub axle that is only available from teraflex.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Solid axle has had the spyntec kit out since 2008, if you want a hub conversion. It's made in the USA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can buy a lot of unit bearings for $2000 and it's not like they need to be replaced at every oil change. Me personally, I couldn't see throwing that kind of money at a Dana 30 or Dana 44 and the only time I've felt the need to run 8-lug is when I got up onto 40's. But then, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take what I say for what it's worth.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Solid axle has had the spyntec kit out since 2008, if you want a hub conversion. It's made in the USA.

:dont_tell: Some of the people new to JK's might think you've been doing this for a while. Funny how the Spyntec kit costs less even though it's made in the USA.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You can buy a lot of unit bearings for $2000 and it's not like they need to be replaced at every oil change. Me personally, I couldn't see throwing that kind of money at a Dana 30 or Dana 44 and the only time I've felt the need to run 8-lug is when I got up onto 40's. But then, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take what I say for what it's worth.

Do you have to swap to an 8 lug to do the hub conversion for locking hubs?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Do you have to swap to an 8 lug to do the hub conversion for locking hubs?

5X5.5 and it widens your axle an 1" on both sides. I'm pretty sure they sell the rear adapters with their kit.

And for whatever its worth, Dynatrac commented on an old Spyntec thread and said that they don't see the need for front locking hubs on their PR44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
5X5.5 and it widens your axle an 1" on both sides. I'm pretty sure they sell the rear adapters with their kit.

And for whatever its worth, Dynatrac commented on an old Spyntec thread and said that they don't see the need for front locking hubs on their PR44.

This ^^^^^^^^^

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

True no real need but always just wanted to know if it was possible

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not A Fan Of Teraflex....., But????

I ran them for a long time. The spyntec kit.

Where I don't see the need either, I did love having them and would consider it again after many other upgrades.

Edit: If I was only going to ever run a 44. I'd save up for a 60 first. 🤑

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,
So I know it is not needed but...
If the price was reasonable, on Rubicat would you run it instead of the spacers up front to pair with the width and 5x5.5 of the rear pr60?

Nope. I'd rather be running a ProRock or XD60 up front. Rubicat is only running the setup that she is now because we had a hand-me-down rear axle available from Moby, needed a new front axle in a hurry at the time and so I got the ProRock 44.

Top Bottom