Does anyone take overland trips in NM or Tx?

Lmoye22

Wanting to take the dogs and gf out on camping trips soon and was curious if anyone knew of where I can go and camp away from everyone and let the dogs roam free.

Worst part of Texas is a lot of land is private. I live in El Paso , Tx and just wanting to get out. Jeep is at the shop getting a new front axle but as soon as it's done I want to go.

Jeep Bro 08

Wanting to take the dogs and gf out on camping trips soon and was curious if anyone knew of where I can go and camp away from everyone and let the dogs roam free.

Worst part of Texas is a lot of land is private. I live in El Paso , Tx and just wanting to get out. Jeep is at the shop getting a new front axle but as soon as it's done I want to go.

Go wheeling in Mexico good place for ur dogs to roam

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
well you could go down into Big Bend National Park and do some back country camping dogs can roam some but need to be mindful if others are camping in the same area ... then you could also check out Gila National Forest was over there back in june of this year and it was nice the spot I was in was up near the cliff dwellings and wasn't to busy so could most likely let em roam there a bit as well ........ outside that on the eastern side of the state you have Angelina , Davey Crockett , Sabine , and Sam Houston national forests ... I posted a link up in the Texas destinations thread ( good thread for locations to wheel and ideas for upcoming trips ) for the mvum which also has the hunter camp locations on it ... beyond that its state parks and dogs would need to be leashed in them so you may not be interested in em

DP1120

Quite a bit of NM is public land so there are going to be quite a few places there you could go. I dont know how hardcore wheeling or anything like that there would be but i used to go west of Lovington NM quite a bit just off of the caprock there is some sand dunes and whatnot out there that is mostly all public land.

Oldvolks

I also live in El Paso and have found a few cool spots to go. Ruidoso NM is a pretty good excursion especially in a jeep. Good availability of land and cabins. Lots of space to go roaming around in, just check the local roads if you plan on doing any off-roading.

Another place I like to go, with my wife and and my dogs packed up is Hunts hole. Also in NM. About a 45 minute drive from the I-10 and Artcraft exits. More of a day trip but there are 2 extinct Maar volcanos up there and it's all dirt roads. You can find it via google. Easy drive and awesome views or the nearby mountain ranges......

Hope it helps [emoji106][emoji106]

Lmoye22

Great ideas guys! I've been meaning to try out big bend, weather is cooling down now so it won't be too bad. I went to clear lake in Colorado , it's a glacier lake in the mountains. I loved the drive there and the isolation. We only done a few overland trips but we are hooked now!

Lmoye22

I also live in El Paso and have found a few cool spots to go. Ruidoso NM is a pretty good excursion especially in a jeep. Good availability of land and cabins. Lots of space to go roaming around in, just check the local roads if you plan on doing any off-roading.

Another place I like to go, with my wife and and my dogs packed up is Hunts hole. Also in NM. About a 45 minute drive from the I-10 and Artcraft exits. More of a day trip but there are 2 extinct Maar volcanos up there and it's all dirt roads. You can find it via google. Easy drive and awesome views or the nearby mountain ranges......

Hope it helps [emoji106][emoji106]

Hello there! I have really been wanting to go check out Ruidoso , usually just go to trailing to tiburon. Miss Bonito Lake. Any recommendations on good place to get away that's not a lot of camping stops?

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
bunch of us meeting out at hidden falls this coming wknd for the unofficial run then the official run later in the month .............. but best advice is to watch the texas destinations thread for ideas and upcoming plans ..... I myself am planning to do Kiamichi trail up in ok next spring sometime in march once I nail down dates for it I will be posting it up there and starting a thread in case anyone wants to join up

Top Bottom